hiding 'testing' subforum from guests is lame

Forum for discussion and implementation of project work to enhance mxlinux.org and other MX Websites
skidoo

hiding 'testing' subforum from guests is lame

#1 Post by skidoo »

By 'lame', I mean ineffectual.
https://www.google.com/#q=mx+test+repo+ ... munity.org

I'm suggesting that it should be permissioned guest-readonly. Maybe the rationale that led to the status quo was
"potential new users might be put off by seeing so many 'bug report' -ish topics within the testing subforum"
but those topics are being exposed to (by) Google search and GoogleCache anyhow.

Here's the (my) current problem:
This webbrowser is configured to NOT "save logins" and I often neglect to tick the "keep me logged in" checkbox on login page...
...later, when I "refresh" the forum index page (still open in a browser tab) of course I miss seeing any recent "testing" topics when I glance at the "Recent Activity" block.
Although I typed "of course" above, I just today (after long confusion) figured out the reason for the "intermittently, stuff is missing" behavior.

Adrian
Developer

Re: hiding 'testing' subforum from guests is lame

#2 Post by Adrian »

How can google index it if it's hidden to guests?

richb
Administrator

#3 Post by richb »

All the twists and turns that occur during early development were deemed to be made invisible to guespts who visit the webpage Search engine results are a different matter requiring more than a casual effort if the Development team disagrees with that initial decision, I will acquiesce to their opinion. Search bots are not members of that forum

Edit: I am on vacation so may be slow responding to posts
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Jerry3904
Administrator

#4 Post by Jerry3904 »

He's not talking about Board Index > Development > Development Forum, Rich, but about Board Index > Development > Testing. The latter was set up outside the Development Team's forum to be able to get wider feedback on specific applications that the Dev Team felt needed it. It is neither a standard Forum that is open to all, nor a closed Forum open to the Dev Team only; but a sporadically used sort of "bridge" Forum containing items initiated by the Dev Team.

I just looked at the settings for it, and Search indexing is enabled. Likewise these two:
List subforums in legend:
Displays this forum’s subforums on the index and elsewhere as a link within the legend if their “List subforum in parent-forum’s legend” option is enabled.

List subforum in parent-forum’s legend:
Displays this forum on the index and elsewhere as a link within the legend of its parent-forum if the parent-forum’s “List subforums in legend” option is enabled.
When you are back in action, let's review the current status with the Dev Team.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Return to “Website”