-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

[Social Network] Mastodon

Forum for discussion and implementation of project work to enhance mepis.org and other MEPIS Websites
k_sz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

[Social Network] Mastodon

#1 Post by k_sz » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:05 pm

Hi there,

I was updating my forum profile and, while reading the long list of social networks, i realized that i have no personal SN account anymore since i've quitted Facebook years ago and Twitter is... let's call it "messy".

I've been thinking about using SN that is missing from the list : Mastodon (open source, GPL3).
https://joinmastodon.org/
Documentation : https://github.com/tootsuite/documentation

Do you know or use this network ? What do you think of it ? and, further, ir it hasn't been already created, would it be a good idea to create an antiX/MX instance there ? Since it seems that the OpenSource/GNU/Linux/BSD communities are well established there, would it be a good medium to at least promote your OS ?
MX17(sailing on the flow of ~daily updates)@modified_Futjitsu_s7220
> Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8700, 4 Go DDR3 SDRAM, SSD Samsung EVO 850 256Go + Hitachi Travelstar 7K320 160Go (7,2 krpm)

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: [Social Network] Mastodon

#2 Post by Jerry3904 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:43 pm

Thanks for bringing this up. It sounds interesting for sure, but I don't see how it would fit with MX Linux. Things may well change though, so I'm not slamming the door!

1) We're not really interested in setting up and maintaining a local instance, for lack of time and personnel, never mind server space.
2) Most users are very familiar with Twitter and Facebook and are often already using it, so there is no learning curve.
3) It is a lot of work just to maintain the ones we have going now, and the people doing that are already pretty stretched.

Other MX Devs might disagree and, if they do, I guarantee that you will hear from them!
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

richb
Administrator

#3 Post by richb » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:51 pm

Interesting for sure. And at this time I agree with the points Jerry stated.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 17.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

namida12
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#4 Post by namida12 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:52 pm

k_sz wrote:Hi there,

I was updating my forum profile and, while reading the long list of social networks, i realized that i have no personal SN account anymore since i've quitted Facebook years ago and Twitter is... let's call it "messy".

I've been thinking about using SN that is missing from the list : Mastodon (open source, GPL3).
https://joinmastodon.org/
Documentation : https://github.com/tootsuite/documentation

Do you know or use this network ? What do you think of it ? and, further, ir it hasn't been already created, would it be a good idea to create an antiX/MX instance there ? Since it seems that the OpenSource/GNU/Linux/BSD communities are well established there, would it be a good medium to at least promote your OS ?
Reading the numerous FAQ now. Not interested in running a AntiX/MX presence but PM me with your instance or name as I do not know enough yet, but looks like it could be interesting place to check daily as i am becoming bored with my tumblr presence.

arjaybe
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#5 Post by arjaybe » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:48 pm

I've never been on FB or Twitter, but I am on Mastodon. I've seen some mentions of MX there, including by me. Naturally, I go by @arjaybe.
Intel Celeron 1007U with integrated HD Graphics 2500, 4GB RAM

Maybe he will grow into the job.

Green Comet

Artim
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#6 Post by Artim » Sun May 13, 2018 12:49 pm

I am on [url=http: diasporaproject.org]Diaspora[/url]. Mastodon uses the OStatus and ActivityPub protocols, so cannot federate with Diaspora at all. Diaspora currently federates with Friendica, Hubzilla, Socialhome and GangGo, all via the Diaspora federation protocol.

When I went to the MX-Linux social networks page, it lists Mastodon, which can link to some other federated sites, but not the ones I have listed.

Is there a possibility of an MX-Linux presence on the others? I'm asking because the social networks page offers this:
If we have missed something, please let us know on the Forum.
Mastodon is kinda sorta like Twitter (microblogging), and Diaspora is kinda sorta more like Facebook (macroblogging). It is very active and there are a few of us MX-Linux fans there!
Greetings from the Bakoo!

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#7 Post by Jerry3904 » Sun May 13, 2018 12:57 pm

Not quite sure how to answer this, but thanks for bringing it up.

We have no objection to others setting up social media sites for MX, but don't have the resources to manage or maintain them ourselves.
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

Artim
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#8 Post by Artim » Wed May 16, 2018 4:31 am

I'm a full-time student and live on a farm with 12 zillion chores to do every day before and after school, so I really don't have time to manage an official or unofficial page. Hopefully another "Diasporian" will see this and volunteer! Thanks
Greetings from the Bakoo!

abbreviatedman
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#9 Post by abbreviatedman » Wed May 16, 2018 7:35 am

I'm just starting to get into Mastodon... the Linux Rocks community seems to be where we would go if we want to hang with other enthusiasts and represent MX.
ThinkPad x220
16 GBs of RAM
120-GB SSD
Greatest Of All ThinkPads

Return to “Website”