-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Writer's font menu

This forum is intended for the discussion around the use of MEPIS in an office setting as distinct from home or indivicual usage. Examples include mail merge, database construction, hardware sharing, advertising, etc..
wtb
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: Writer's font menu

#41 Post by wtb » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:25 pm

I hate to say the following, but I must. The procedure I used to get the Dingbats font into Writer's font menu did NOT work for the Standard Symbols font. That's really strange because when I clicked on the Standard Symbols link file, the font displayed perfectly. But when I rebooted and launched Writer, Dingbats was in the font menu; Standard Symbols was not. I tried a few other approaches, and nothing worked. So I finally said to heck with Standard Symbols, and I launched Writer and opened a file I have been working on for several days. The main font is Nimbus Roman No9 regular font. All characters in the document (including page numbers) except those that were Bold appeared in Italic font, and the only way to get out of Italics was to bold it. Writer's Italics font icon did NOT work at all. In other words, I would select some text and hit the I (Italics) button, and nothing happened. I finally said to he-- with it, and I rebooted into Mepis 8 to get some work done. Tonight I will reformat the partition containing Mepis 11, and I will reinstall Mepis 11.

I don't know where things went afoul, but I'm tired of messing with it.

wtb
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#42 Post by wtb » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:06 am

I have some good news and some bad news to report. First the good news. Before I quit last night, I deleted the soft link to Standard Symbols (since it wasn't working), and I decided to wait for Mepis 12. So this morning I booted into Mepis 11; I launched Writer; and I opened the document that yesterday was all Italics font except bold characters. Today that Italics problem was gone, but it reappeared, and I soon will describe its reappearance. Dingbats were in Writer’s font menu. So I decided to try again to get Standard Symbols into Writer’s font menu. I used the exact same procedure that I used yesterday for Dingbats. I recreated the Standard Symbols soft link, I clicked on the link file, and the font displayed perfectly. So I rebooted, and launched Writer. Now the Italics problem reappeared, and Standard Symbols was not in Writer’s font menu. So I deleted the Standard Symbols soft link, rebooted, and relaunched Writer. The Italics problem is gone! So that softlink to the Standard Symbols font is the source of the Italics problem. The softlink to Dingbats remains, and it’s working perfectly. I cannot explain those different results on 2 fonts using the exact same soft-link procedure on each font. Nor can I explain the Italics problem.

The bad news: I still am without Standard Symbols (but Dingbats is working fine).

While I’m at it, I’ll mention something about Writer that bugs me. I have written 5 books using Writer. The first one was written in 2006-2007. Two were finished in 2013, and 2 in 2014. All of my books use tables, which I find extremely useful in presenting all sorts of information. The borders on the Tables that my book files contain (created using prior versions of Writer) are not in Mepis 11’s version of Writer (I have used Mepis 6, 7, 8, and 11). So if I open in Mepis 11’s Writer any of my book files, the borders on all of the tables must be redone, and the borders necessarily change, for that prior border style is not in Mepis 11’s Writer. The same is true of the borders on frames. This lack of backward compatibility on border styles is frustrating.

GuiGuy
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#43 Post by GuiGuy » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:18 am

wtb wrote:............ decided to wait for Mepis 12. ..........
It will be a long wait unless you just install the beta - I have an upgraded beta working fine.
Or you could try MX-14.

Utopia
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#44 Post by Utopia » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:41 am

Sounds like it's the bug linked to in an earlier post:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=540007
Henry

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#45 Post by Jerry3904 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:57 am

While I’m at it, I’ll mention something about Writer that bugs me. I have written 5 books using Writer. The first one was written in 2006-2007. Two were finished in 2013, and 2 in 2014. All of my books use tables, which I find extremely useful in presenting all sorts of information. The borders on the Tables that my book files contain (created using prior versions of Writer) are not in Mepis 11’s version of Writer (I have used Mepis 6, 7, 8, and 11). So if I open in Mepis 11’s Writer any of my book files, the borders on all of the tables must be redone, and the borders necessarily change, for that prior border style is not in Mepis 11’s Writer. The same is true of the borders on frames. This lack of backward compatibility on border styles is frustrating.
That would drive me crazy! What version of LibreOffice are you running now?
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

wtb
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#46 Post by wtb » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:04 am

I'm running version 3.4.3 of LibreOffice.

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#47 Post by Jerry3904 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:59 am

I also write a lot of articles and books, and am running LO 4.2.6.2, so I suggest you consider upgrading that software.
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB

wtb
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#48 Post by wtb » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:28 am

Jerry:

I ran Synaptic a few days ago, and it showed LO Writer as not upgradable. Of the 12 DEB repositories that Synaptic lists, 5 are checked; so I need to check some of the 7 unchecked ones or to add one that is not now listed. What repository did you use when you downloaded your current version?

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#49 Post by Jerry3904 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:51 pm

It looks like the version I am running is restricted to Wheezy (what MEPIS 12 beta2 and MX 14.2 are running) and above.

LO 3.5.4 has been backported to Debian Squeeze (MEPIS 11). If the upgrade seems worthwhile to you, the Debian Wiki says these are the steps:

1) add a new repo:

Code: Select all

deb http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports squeeze-backports main
If using Synaptic, make sure that "main" goes in the bottom sections box and "squeeze-backports" in the distribution one above it
2) In a terminal, runas root

apt-get install -t squeeze-backports uno-libs3
3) then

apt-get install -t squeeze-backports libreoffice
See the Debian Wiki link about Java environment.

BTW: are you wedded to MEPIS 11? The current LO is so much better than the 3.x series that you might consider a new OS, or at least run M12 or MX in a virtual machine.

wtb
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#50 Post by wtb » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:54 am

I am not wedded to M11. I first tried M11 2 years ago. I disliked it; so I stuck with M8. M8's Firefox has begun to be problematic on some sites; so I decided to return to M11. Given the problems I have had with M11 (and I have not mentioned all of them), I decided to wait for M12. But a poster said that I'm liable to be waiting a long time; so I thought about staying with M11 but upgrading to a version of LO that is in the 4 series (at least 4.0). Such an upgrade appears to be impossible (no such animal in the Community Repository's Main section). That's the reason for me saying that I would wait for a stable version of M12. Why doesn't the community repository's Main section have a version of LO that is in the 4 series (at least 4.0)?

I'm considering Ubuntu for now. It uses LibreOffice, and they come out with a new release every 6 months.

Return to “Office”