-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Linux PDF Organizer Needed

This forum is intended for the discussion around the use of MEPIS in an office setting as distinct from home or indivicual usage. Examples include mail merge, database construction, hardware sharing, advertising, etc..
Richard

Re: Linux PDF Organizer Needed

#11 Post by Richard » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:30 pm

The GUI sounds nice.

Really powerful but a bit obtuse and cli is qpdf,
of the qpdfviewer family. It's the harder working cousin.
MX171: Lenovo T430: Intel DualCore i5-3320M, 8 GB RAM, 4.18.7-antix.1-amd64-smp, 119GB SSD
MX171: AA1-ZG5/EeePC-1005HA: DualCore N270, 1 GB RAM, 4.9.126-antix.1-686-smp-pae, 150GB HDD
Doublecmd84, LibO61, Dropbx, PMoon, CherryT,Vbox. LinuxCounter #208633

gmagar
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#12 Post by gmagar » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:18 pm

Joany,

I don't remember why I poo-pooed PDF-Shuffler. You make a good case for it so I'll take another look.

None of my PDFs are more than half-a-dozen pages, so I can usually order them correctly pretty easily the first time.

A preview feature is good, and it sounds like PDF-Shuffler's will do ok for small documents.

I have a few PDFs to organize soon, so the timing is just right.

Thanks for the insighful review.

Gary
Linuxers Live By A CODE!

Gaer Boy
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#13 Post by Gaer Boy » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:13 am

joany wrote:PDF-Shuffler has two shortcomings. 1) All of the thumbnails are placed side-by-side and top-to-bottom in a window of fixed width instead of a scrollable vertical stack. As a consequence, the thumbnails are very tiny and difficult to see if you have a lot of pages. You zoom in, but then it's difficult to scroll through the stack. 2) You can only add pages to the end of the stack. Then you move them through the stack one page at a time to where you want them to go. (Adobe Acrobat allows you to insert multiple pages either before or after any page in a vertical, scrollable stack. All of the thumbnails are clear and readable.) But despite its shortcomings, it looks like PDF-Shuffler is the most viable alternative. The lack of a page preview for the others pretty much eliminates them from my consideration.
I don't have any problem resizing the PDF-Shuffler window - I usually maximise it for large files. If I'm going to draw on pages from a number of pdf files, I load them all in one go. The default zoom usually gives me about 20 thumbnails on screen, normally large enough to recognise the content. I agree that only being able to move one page at a time is a drawback, but it's quite easy to drag them where you want them.

Phil

AsRock FM2A88X-ITX+, A8-6500, 8GB, 120GB Samsung SSD (GPT), 1TB HDD (MBR), MX-17.1
Lenovo Thinkpad X220, dual-core i5, 3MB, 320GB Hitachi HDD, Win7, MX-17.1

Return to “Office”