-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Linux PDF Organizer Needed

This forum is intended for the discussion around the use of MEPIS in an office setting as distinct from home or indivicual usage. Examples include mail merge, database construction, hardware sharing, advertising, etc..
joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Linux PDF Organizer Needed

#1 Post by joany » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:22 am

I'm running a copy Acrobat 6.0 that I purchased years ago using Wine for the sole purpose of organizing PDF files. I would like to jettison this program completely. For one thing, Acrobat requires .NET framework, which is implemented by Wine mono. This alone takes up about 300MB of file space in the ~/.wine directory, which I consider to be a complete waste of disk space. Besides, using Acrobat 6.0 to organize files is like using a pile driver to hammer a nail. So I'm looking for a good lightweight native Linux PDF organizer.

PDF-Shuffler is a very simple program that allows me to move pages around, but I'd like something a little more full-featured program that splits PDF documents and merges multiple documents together. I really don't need an editor to make changes to the pages themselves, but it would be okay if it did that. Does anyone know of any Linux PDF organizers, preferably ones having a GUI?
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Linux PDF Organizer Needed

#2 Post by Jerry3904 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:38 am

PDF-Shuffler is a very simple program that allows me to move pages around, but I'd like something a little more full-featured program that splits PDF documents and merges multiple documents together. I really don't need an editor to make changes to the pages themselves, but it would be okay if it did that. Does anyone know of any Linux PDF organizers, preferably ones having a GUI?
Hmmm--but that's how I use PDF-Shuffler. I delete all the pages I don't want, add in pages I do want, and save. Per the website: "PDF-Shuffler is a small python-gtk application, which helps the user to merge or split pdf documents."

What am I missing?
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Post by joany » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:57 am

Jerry3904 wrote:Hmmm--but that's how I use PDF-Shuffler. I delete all the pages I don't want, add in pages I do want, and save. Per the website: "PDF-Shuffler is a small python-gtk application, which helps the user to merge or split pdf documents."

What am I missing?
When a document is open in Acrobat, you can insert another document anywhere, even between pages. With PDF-Shuffler, you import the document and then move the pages where you want them one pate at a time.
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+

m_pav
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#4 Post by m_pav » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:59 am

pdfmod or pdftk sound like the tools you're looking for, with pdftk having the greater capabilities, but the less attractive GUI through pdfchain.

pdfmod requires mono so for me, that's a no-goer
Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(Mine)Lenovo T560, i7-6600U, 16GB, 2.0TB SSHD, MX17 64-bit
(Wifes) Asus M4A88TD-M, AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU, nVidia GF610, 6Gb, 500GB+320GB, MX17 + KDE
(Kids) Intel NUC, J1900, 4GB, 64GB SSD, MX17

dyfi
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#5 Post by dyfi » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:52 am

I use pdfchain, it's quite basic but works for me

jdmeaux1952
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#6 Post by jdmeaux1952 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:17 am

joany, at our church we started using Foxit PDF. There is also a linux version available. I finally convinced them that most "freeware" was better than purchased software. :number1:

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/downloads/
MSI S6000 i5-460M 4Gb mem
I am not CrAzY. And I have a paper from the doctors to prove it!
LRU# 563815
Phear the Penguin

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#7 Post by joany » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:58 am

Thanks to all. I'll give pdfchain and Foxit PDF a closer look.
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+

Farcry

#8 Post by Farcry » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:00 pm

@joany:

jPDF Tweak is very good if you don't mind a Java program.
trile7's PDF Tools Plugin for SpaceFM is handy too if you're running that file manager (Ghostscript required too).
If you've got the cash, PDF Studio seems to be the most extensive software (for Linux as well as Windows and OS X).

:cool:

gmagar
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#9 Post by gmagar » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:22 pm

+1 for PDF Chain. I tried all of the PDF Splitters/Mergers that I could find in the Debian Repo. This one won the competition hands down.
Linuxers Live By A CODE!

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#10 Post by joany » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:01 pm

I looked at the various suggestions posted in this thread.

Foxit PDF appears to be commercial software with only a 30-day free trial period, so I didn't explore it any further. The Foxit web site doesn't say what platform it runs on; I assume it's Windows.

PDF Chain is so-so, but there are no page previews or thumbnails that allow you to see the content of the pages in the stack. So when you split and merge documents, you have to preview the documents in another application and write down the page numbers where you want to split and merge them.

As mentioned, jPDF Tweak runs on Java, which isn't a problem (at least not for me). It's not terribly difficult to split a document and insert another document in the middle. But it has the same drawback as PDF Chain; i.e., no page previews or thumbnails to show you what's on the pages.

PDF-Shuffler has two shortcomings. 1) All of the thumbnails are placed side-by-side and top-to-bottom in a window of fixed width instead of a scrollable vertical stack. As a consequence, the thumbnails are very tiny and difficult to see if you have a lot of pages. You zoom in, but then it's difficult to scroll through the stack. 2) You can only add pages to the end of the stack. Then you move them through the stack one page at a time to where you want them to go. (Adobe Acrobat allows you to insert multiple pages either before or after any page in a vertical, scrollable stack. All of the thumbnails are clear and readable.) But despite its shortcomings, it looks like PDF-Shuffler is the most viable alternative. The lack of a page preview for the others pretty much eliminates them from my consideration.
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+

Return to “Office”