-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Printing an envelope

This forum is intended for the discussion around the use of MEPIS in an office setting as distinct from home or indivicual usage. Examples include mail merge, database construction, hardware sharing, advertising, etc..
Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Printing an envelope

#11 Post by Jerry3904 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:45 am

No idea.

I have two ways to print an envelope in LO: 1) for business, I use a field-driven template that picks up all data from a database, and 2) for other, I have a simple envelope template with a text box positioned correctly in which I just paste the address. Since the letter is in front of my eyes, this second way is not exactly difficult.

But if you want Word...
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

Topher
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#12 Post by Topher » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:38 am

You might take a look at glabels. You can do one envelope or merge a spreadsheet for many envelopes. And it has a couple of envelope templates or you can create your own template which is pretty easy.
MX16 MoBo ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 CPU AMD Phenom II X4 945 PSU CORSAIR CX500 (CMPSU-500CX) RAM Crucial CT2KIT25664BA1339 HD WD5000AAKX Wireless EDIMAX EW 7128g

namida12
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#13 Post by namida12 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:54 pm

Jerry3904 wrote:No idea.

I have two ways to print an envelope in LO: 1) for business, I use a field-driven template that picks up all data from a database, and 2) for other, I have a simple envelope template with a text box positioned correctly in which I just paste the address. Since the letter is in front of my eyes, this second way is not exactly difficult.

But if you want Word...
Topher wrote:You might take a look at glabels. You can do one envelope or merge a spreadsheet for many envelopes. And it has a couple of envelope templates or you can create your own template which is pretty easy.
Jerry, Tim, and Topher,

For me creating a data base would solve the problem, and choosing a client or adding the address every time I prepared an letter would be an easy solution. Printing a label is also another solution

Yet I understand what Vegas Girl desires, she has used Office or MS Works for many years, and to prepare an envelope is to insert and print, and she never thought that this older technology is not available in Open or Libre office. I do not use a word processor to print many letters, and I was surprised that Abi, Open or Libre office does not add addresses automatically to the envelope. She started out as a Clerk Typist 40 years ago, until she became an Executive Secretary. Now retired she is finding it difficult to adjust to Linux instead of using her WinXP for the last 12 years, and now finding she must also give up auto addressing of an envelope. Tis another feather on the back of a camel for her.

Thanks for the assistance, I was hoping it was my lack of user word processing knowledge in Abi, Open or Libre office that was preventing this auto envelope preparation (maybe this is a patiented procedure preventing the function being included). I still need to find a work around for the Truncated printing when trying to print addresses on an envelope, it may be the basic Epson drivers and not the word processor that is creating this margin error.

Would be nice if someone else using an Epson Printer could test Open or Libre office to determine if this is occurring when they print a envelope.

JR

Return to “Office”