-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Kingsoft Office is now available for Linux

This forum is intended for the discussion around the use of MEPIS in an office setting as distinct from home or indivicual usage. Examples include mail merge, database construction, hardware sharing, advertising, etc..
KBD
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: Kingsoft Office is now available for Linux

#11 Post by KBD » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:20 pm

I wondered how it handled docx. That has been a problem with most of the free word processing apps.

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#12 Post by joany » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:38 pm

KBD wrote:I wondered how it handled docx. That has been a problem with most of the free word processing apps.
I believe all versions LibreOffice Writer later than 4.0 can open and save files in the .docx (aka Open XML) format, although I've seen some glitches when opening docx files in LOW 4.1 when those files were created in MS Office. I'd say the compatibility between LOW and .docx is good but not yet 100%.

MS used its influence with ISO to make OOXML a "standard," although some companies, including IBM, favored the OpenDocument Format (ODF).
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

richb
Administrator

#13 Post by richb » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:42 pm

KBD wrote:I wondered how it handled docx. That has been a problem with most of the free word processing apps.
Have you tried LibreOffice 4.2 in that regard?
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 17.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#14 Post by Jerry3904 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:15 pm

That seems to be a big improvement, huh?
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB
Personal: XPS 13, 4.18.0-19.3-liquorix, 4 GB

richb
Administrator

#15 Post by richb » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:23 pm

I do not have a lot of experience with it (4.2) yet, but so far it is an improvement with the bug fix in dragging cells and not locking up. And any docx files I have opened have the correct formatting, or at least it looks correct to me.
Forum Rules

Rich
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

KBD
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#16 Post by KBD » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:33 pm

richb wrote:
Have you tried LibreOffice 4.2 in that regard?
I don't use docx much, but the last few times there were artifacts and formatting glitches in LO. The newest releases of LO might be better. I wish odt format had won, we would all be better off, but leave it to MS to throw in a monkey wrench.

Gaer Boy
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#17 Post by Gaer Boy » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:35 pm

KBD wrote:I don't use docx much, but the last few times there were artifacts and formatting glitches in LO. The newest releases of LO might be better. I wish odt format had won, we would all be better off, but leave it to MS to throw in a monkey wrench.
No - I think the problem is with any Microsoft application that uses macros, or has complex graphic layouts or tables in word documents. As I understand it, all these use Microsoft proprietary language (Visual Basic?) and I don't think Microsoft have ever offered that free of charge.

Phil

AsRock FM2A88X-ITX+, A8-6500, 8GB, 120GB Samsung SSD (GPT), 1TB HDD (MBR), MX-17.1
Lenovo Thinkpad X220, dual-core i5, 3MB, 320GB Hitachi HDD, Win7, MX-17.1

richb
Administrator

#18 Post by richb » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:38 pm

Gaer Boy wrote:
KBD wrote:I don't use docx much, but the last few times there were artifacts and formatting glitches in LO. The newest releases of LO might be better. I wish odt format had won, we would all be better off, but leave it to MS to throw in a monkey wrench.
No - I think the problem is with any Microsoft application that uses macros, or has complex graphic layouts or tables in word documents. As I understand it, all these use Microsoft proprietary language (Visual Basic?) and I don't think Microsoft have ever offered that free of charge.

Phil
Macros might very well still be a problem but tables and graphic layouts rendered fine in a docx file I opened.
Forum Rules

Rich

m_pav
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#19 Post by m_pav » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:53 am

Being in a position to test these types of things, Kingsoft Office does a better job overall when to comes to compatibility with files created using Microsoft Office. LO does a mighty fine job given the constraints they have to work within, and many docs, spreadsheets and presentations open just fine, however, Microsoft did support Kingsoft to some degree in the early days, so they have the edge in terms of compatibility.

Last week I was operating a Windows machine in a projection bay and was handed a pptx file only a few minutes before the service started. The .pptx had a number of slides using a table overlay and the comp only had LO on it. Usually, LO does just fine but this file simply wouldn't render the tables correctly and we had 3 minutes before going live. I had my flash drive in pocket, whipped it out, installed Kingsoft and run a test, and used that for the session because it rendered the tables perfectly.

Before Christmas, I did a windows rebuild for a customer who couldn't produce his COA for Office, so we installed LO, but it couldn't open links to an external spreadsheet and macros were just not happening, Kingsoft to the rescue, significantly better outcome, not complete, but workable, and easy to recreate the components that failed to work.

Once Again, LO is great, and I prefer it to MS Office, as I have done with OSS software for years now, but when compatibility is crucial, then KO takes the lead. Add to this, the user coming from MS Office needs no retraining as the interface and placement of items in the various drop-downs and menus are designed to be almost a drop dead clone of Office.
Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(Mine)Lenovo T560, i7-6600U, 16GB, 2.0TB SSHD, MX17 64-bit
(Wifes) Asus M4A88TD-M, AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU, nVidia GF610, 6Gb, 500GB+320GB, MX17 + KDE
(Kids) Intel NUC, J1900, 4GB, 64GB SSD, MX17

KBD
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#20 Post by KBD » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:48 am

Tried KO office's newest release. Interesting that it tells how to save in docx format right on the startup page. I could see installing this particularly for my wife and daughter who are more used to MS office.
I think we are getting close for the person who only casually needs word processing, and has a good Internet connection, that Google Docs/Drive and MS Skydrive will do the job for them. I actually do most of my writing in Google Docs/Drive. I use Libreoffice for 'heavy lifting', when I need more formatting options.

Return to “Office”