MX 17.1 : what can be called "success"

This forum is for co-ordination of torrents for MX releases
k_sz

MX 17.1 : what can be called "success"

#1 Post by k_sz »

Hello,
I've DLed MX 17.1 ISO (torrent using Transmission, from the strangely scripted linuxtracker) ~50 hours ago and from my point of view (max UL : ~2,5Mo/s), ratio>20/day is a success.

And i do enjoy it. But since I'm a recent MX user, may i ask what you're calling "success" ?

The main purpose of this question is not about P2P ratios but more about being discret about an excellent Linux distro. I haven't read anything about MX (Mepis, antiX) until very recently (december, 2017) while these were actively developed and I've been trying/booting/installing lots of GNULinux distros (including very short-life ones) for more than a decade while Mepis/antiX have been refined since ~15 years. Have I been not curious enough ? How is it I've never noticed Mepis nor antiX nor MX before ?

(I entend to keep using MX, just saying :D)
> Desktop : AMD 64 bits (unknowned monocore model :P looking for an AM2+ 4cores Phenom) | RAM 4Go DDR2 | MX@daily updates, sudo apt dist-upgrade
> Laptop x2 : WIP obsolescence and "old" batteries prices have killed my project

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: MX 17.1 : what can be called "success"

#2 Post by Jerry3904 »

No way to answer that, but check out the reviews page for the last couple of years: https://mxlinux.org/reviews
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

k_sz

#3 Post by k_sz »

Jerry3904 wrote:No way to answer that, but check out the reviews page for the last couple of years: https://mxlinux.org/reviews
Impressive, thank you > i got to rejuvenate my bookmarks

MODERATOR: I have removed your comment, since personal attacks go against Forum Rules.
grmpf.
Last edited by k_sz on Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.
> Desktop : AMD 64 bits (unknowned monocore model :P looking for an AM2+ 4cores Phenom) | RAM 4Go DDR2 | MX@daily updates, sudo apt dist-upgrade
> Laptop x2 : WIP obsolescence and "old" batteries prices have killed my project

GuiGuy

#4 Post by GuiGuy »

Mepis was listed by Distrowatch between 2003 and 2013: at one time it was near the top of their list.
Don't know how you missed it, but never mind - you have now found MX :happy:

Adrian
Developer

#5 Post by Adrian »

Have I been not curious enough ? How is it I've never noticed Mepis nor antiX nor MX before ?
Mepis was developed by one guy and was very popular 15 years or so ago when it started 2003-2004. In the meantime the developer had to pursue other things (like a real job and deal with medical issues) so he stopped development. Actually, when Ubuntu popped up pretty much sucked out the air from other established distros like Mepis, Knoppix, PCLinuxOS for a combination of reasons, some technical some because of heavier promotion so Ubuntu became the go-to distro for beginners (personally I think Ubuntu inspiration came from Mepis) Many people from here didn't go anywhere, Mepis worked for them, people who remained transition to the community developed MX which used the same tools and improved upon the ones inherited from Mepis (main difference being that Mepis was a KDE distro while MX is a Xfce one).

Stevo
Developer

#6 Post by Stevo »

Linux Format magazine has given publicity to antiX and rated it at the top of the featherweight class distros, but MX is still seeking more recognition. But we are close to cracking the top ten at Distrowatch, for whatever that's worth, so the lack of respect from established reviewers, like the Going Linux podcast, is getting more annoying.

k_sz

#7 Post by k_sz »

I got it, Adrian - ty. Seems that so-called specialized french press missed it (all about (x)Debianmetas, (x)Suse and RedBellies) and that i wasn't browsing the 'good' websites - even was I browsing Distrowatch, let's say i've been overwhelmed by the flow !
GuiGuy wrote:Mepis was listed by Distrowatch between 2003 and 2013: at one time it was near the top of their list.
Don't know how you missed it, but never mind - you have now found MX :happy:
Bein ouais \o/ c'est pas trop tôt ! ('fait bon ici, non ?)
Still : why haven't Mepis/antiX/MX concepts been more distributed ?
Last edited by k_sz on Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anticapitalista
Developer

#8 Post by anticapitalista »

k_sz wrote: Still : why haven't Mepis/antiX/MX concepts been more distributed ?
In order to answer that, you need to spell out what 'Mepis/antiX/MX concepts' you mean.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

Adrian
Developer

#9 Post by Adrian »

Still : why haven't Mepis/antiX/MX concepts been more distributed ?
Mepis was an one-man-show so it depended on the time and health of the only developer. antiX is pretty specialized for light computing using non-popular desktop environments. MX is new to the game not long time before we were not even listed as a separate distro on Distrowatch, only as a antiX flavor.

k_sz

#10 Post by k_sz »

If there is any FR/CA/CH/BE (pardon pour les Créoles, j'ai pas trouvé la locale :$) elder (using Mepis/antiX since more than 5 years) who could testify and let us know how s.he discovered these distros, please do \o/

Return to “Torrent Team”