-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

LinuxTracker hacked

This forum is for co-ordination of torrents for MEPIS releases
Dieselrider
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: LinuxTracker hacked

#21 Post by Dieselrider » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:34 am

lucky9 wrote:
Dieselrider wrote: How do you upload torrents? What kind of upload speed is required?
Torrent software is included with most distributions. For Mepis 11 you need to open Synaptic and put torrent in the Search Box. Ktorrent and Deluge are two popular torrent managers.

Even if you're on dial-up you can seed a torrent. The only time it may not be appropriate is if you have data caps. IE: Many 3G/4G modem plans have a data cap that's too low to be usable for torrents. Normally a hard line (cable or phone) will not have a data cap. Upload speed is not material as the torrent software takes a little from many different computers (Seeders) and gives a decent download speed to those who (Leachers) need a file/s. The more Seeders the faster you can download.

Most of the torrent software will give the Seeders and Leachers national origin. It's kind of neat seeing people all over the world getting together to accomplish something.
Also the files downloaded are always checked for accuracy so you'll never have a bad download. The MD5sum will be checked automatically. Starting and stopping doesn't effect anything either. The software will pick up where it left off downloading.
LinuxTracker.org used to have some information on what torrenting was all about and how it worked. However wikipedia is also a good source of basic info.
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torrent_file
and: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent
for more information.
Okay, I have tried to read and understand the wiki pages but, let's just say I am not picking up what they are laying down. I have downloaded ktorrent from the synaptic and it is on board. What do I do next to help seed the torrents. I want to be a help but, I am totally new to this. Thanks.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#22 Post by lucky9 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:33 pm

Find a torrent file that is for what you want to seed or leach. LinuxTracker.org is a good place to start.

Download the file (usually this will go to your Downloads directory/folder. It will be labeled Mepis xxxxx.iso.torrent.

In Dolphin Left click on it. That should open KTorrent with a dialog box. Tell it ok. That will connect the .torrent file to KTorrent and (in this case) LinuxTracker. The .torrent file tells where the tracker is and connects KTorrent to them. LinuxTracker and KTorrent 'announce' that you are wanting the file and will automatically start downloading it. Once you have enough of the file to seed others will be allowed to download your part or parts of the file that you have gotten on your computer. Once you have a finished file (the full .iso that is) you continue to seed to gain additional prestige. There's a number that's associated with your ratio of leaching to seeding that will make it plain if you seed more that you leach.

One nice feature of torrenting is that it's not necessary to check the MD5sum or SHA1 hash number as torrents have their own correction and checking software. You won't get a bad file unless you use a tracker that has a less than pristine reputation. Use well known and vetted trackers and stay away from illegal downloads.

Using the wiki page to setup KTorrent or Deluge will be confusing at first until you get the hang of what's happening. The defaults in either program are well thought out and don't need much tweaking at all. You might want to opt for encryption or something else that may make sense in your individual case. But by and large the defaults will work for more than 90% of ordinary Users.
It's kind of fun seeing people from all over the world get on your torrent to leach and/or seed it.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Gaer Boy
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#23 Post by Gaer Boy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:56 pm

I also have a slow upload speed (usually about 0.35Mbps) and a cap, but the cap doesn't apply between midnight and 6am. Can KTorrent be set up to automatically seed only between those times? I'm in bed by midnight and still snoring at 6am.

Phil

AsRock FM2A88X-ITX+, A8-6500, 8GB, 120GB Samsung SSD (GPT), 1TB HDD (MBR), MX-16
Lenovo Thinkpad X220, dual-core i5, 3MB, 320GB Hitachi HDD, Win7, MX-16.1

Dieselrider
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#24 Post by Dieselrider » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:57 pm

I didn't run any scripts but downloaded the torrent and put it into ktorrent. It looks as though it is uploading or Seeding now but, I am not sure. Do you have to run the scripts first? Do you run them inside ktorrent or in a terminal? Thanks.
snapshot6.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#25 Post by uncle mark » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:00 pm

You're seeding, but there aren't any leechers at the moment.

IOW, you and 11 others are offering up the torrent, but right now nobody is taking you up on it.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#26 Post by lucky9 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:04 pm

All I had to do was (with KTorrent already installed) download the .torrent file. They're usually very small (55.8 kB for Mepis 8.5.03 rel1 64) and then you just navigate to the Downloads folder and Left-click the file.
That opens KTorrent and a dialog box that asks where to put the file it's going to download. (The .iso file that you image to a CD or DVD.) Just click the Ok button.

KTorrent is now downloading the file and will start uploading as soon as it's practical. When finished downloading it's considered good etiquette to seed for as much as the file size twice over. After that it's just points.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#27 Post by lucky9 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:32 pm

I don't see a way that's built-in for Deluge or KTorrent to turn themselves on at a certain time. That would take a Cron job. Actually one part to start at a certain time and then a part to close the program at a another time. You would already have KTorrent (or whatever you were using) setup to do what you wanted it to do.

Remember these types of programs will by default minimize to the Panel if the X box in the upper right is clicked. You need to use the File Menu and then Exit to totally close the program.
--Mark Twain

kesuda

#28 Post by kesuda » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:25 am

namida12 wrote:More Torrent Question for Mepis: from the "Get Mepis" webpage http://www.mepis.org/mirrors there are two torrent sites listed

JR

I had no idea the second site existed much less the fact it was mentioned by MEPIS.org until you pointed that out. I got poking around and there doesn't seem to be much activity. Not just the fact that the 11.0.12 isn't listed, but I tried starting downloads from the 8.0.15_32 and 8.5.03_rel32. Said there were 3 peers, but no seeders. Then tried a couple of other distros to see how they were doing. DSL and ubuntu started downloads, but not aptosid, chakra, Fedora, nor gentoo, so it seems kind of "hit or miss". In the meantime, with the problems that occur at LinuxTracker from time to time I had wondered if we shouldn't announce at more then one tracker. If I'm remembering correctly; previous discussions brought up the fact that we should not list at a tracker that has copyright-violation material in it's listings. OSST torrents listed looks to be very linux/BSD oriented. As it's mentioned by MEPIS.org already maybe this could be a second tracker for us to list at?

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#29 Post by Jerry3904 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:57 am

lucky9 wrote:Find a torrent file that is for what you want to seed or leach. LinuxTracker.org is a good place to start.

Download the file (usually this will go to your Downloads directory/folder. It will be labeled Mepis xxxxx.iso.torrent.

In Dolphin Left click on it. That should open KTorrent with a dialog box. Tell it ok. That will connect the .torrent file to KTorrent and (in this case) LinuxTracker. The .torrent file tells where the tracker is and connects KTorrent to them. LinuxTracker and KTorrent 'announce' that you are wanting the file and will automatically start downloading it. Once you have enough of the file to seed others will be allowed to download your part or parts of the file that you have gotten on your computer. Once you have a finished file (the full .iso that is) you continue to seed to gain additional prestige. There's a number that's associated with your ratio of leaching to seeding that will make it plain if you seed more that you leach.

One nice feature of torrenting is that it's not necessary to check the MD5sum or SHA1 hash number as torrents have their own correction and checking software. You won't get a bad file unless you use a tracker that has a less than pristine reputation. Use well known and vetted trackers and stay away from illegal downloads.

Using the wiki page to setup KTorrent or Deluge will be confusing at first until you get the hang of what's happening. The defaults in either program are well thought out and don't need much tweaking at all. You might want to opt for encryption or something else that may make sense in your individual case. But by and large the defaults will work for more than 90% of ordinary Users.
It's kind of fun seeing people from all over the world get on your torrent to leach and/or seed it.
Sounds like that Wiki page needs to be rewritten, huh?
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#30 Post by lucky9 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:52 pm

I inserted a 'Simplified Setup/Use' section. I felt that the original KTorrent page was extremely well done and that doing that was all that should be added/changed.
--Mark Twain

Return to “Torrent Team”