What have been your best/worst computer deals?

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
KBD

Re: What have been your best/worst computer deals?

#11 Post by KBD »

NGIB wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:56 pm When my eldest daughter was in the early stages of founding her company (Policygenius.com), her first business purchace was a Lenovo X230 that was to be her road warrior. After 5 years it booted to the blue screen of death and she bought a new X1 Carbon. I told her to mail the X230 to me as I like tinkering with old stuff. I pulled the hard drive, installed an SSD, installed Linux, and have been using the machine for the past several years. In fact I am posting from it now. So free is a pretty good deal

I recently bought a Lenovo T440s with I7, 8GB RAM, 1920x1080 touchscreen, and 500GB drive for $280. I swapped the hard drive for an SSD and it is now my media machine as it has a great display. My newest laptops are Intel Gen 4s, which is plenty new for me...
A X230 is on my 'wish list'. I would like to eventually upgrade to one from my X220, but the X220 looks like it will last forever :)

Cristobal

#12 Post by Cristobal »

KBD wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:44 pm
Cristobal wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:14 pm Regarding computer, I think a good deal is when you feel that you have paid a fair price.

After my eeePC died 3 years ago, I was enchanted to pay less than £100 for a refurbished Thinkpad; it was some kind of revelation (discovering this range and the "cult" around it). Cool little laptop with clever design (drain holes for instance), of which some parts are easy to replace/repair, built like a tank and which works like a charm with an OS such as linux. Got the same kind of deal recently for my back up laptop (same model).
Business class laptops are great, especially Thinkpads. They regularly come off of lease and if you are looking at the right time can get a good deal. I've had 7-8 Thinkpads over the years. They are great machines for the money and incredibly durable. Also they run Linux well, at least the intel ones do.
Funnily enough, I've discovered the Thinklight 5 minutes ago... Another great idea/functionality.
Distro: MX-19.4_x64 Kernel: 4.19.0-21-amd64 Desktop: Xfce 4.14.3
Lenovo Thinkpad X200s: CPU: Intel Core2 Duo L9400 Graphics: Intel GM45 Audio: Intel 82801I

jeffreyC

#13 Post by jeffreyC »

The one bad thing about ThinkPads is the whitelist in the BIOS for network cards, which only allows them to boot with their approved cards installed. You can't just buy a faster WiFi card and put it in, you need one with their code to give the secret handshake, and of course those cost more - even though they are the same in all other ways.

genericmeatsack

#14 Post by genericmeatsack »

Some young neighbors GAVE me a Dell XPS (no, not the new one an old M1530). It needs the charging port replaced. Seems worth firing up the de-solderer if I can find the part. At 6 gig of ram, it beats my other machines by 2 gig.
Asus eeePC 1005ha N280 Atom 2gb ram. MX19 Asus K53 i5, 8gb ram MX19. Asus X200CA Celeron, 4gb ram MX19. Dell Latitude E5440 i5 16gb ram MX19.

Stevo
Developer

#15 Post by Stevo »

genericmeatsack wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:51 pm Some young neighbors GAVE me a Dell XPS (no, not the new one an old M1530). It needs the charging port replaced. Seems worth firing up the de-solderer if I can find the part. At 6 gig of ram, it beats my other machines by 2 gig.
Some laptops make that part replacable with just a screwdriver...but I don't have the service manual for that one.

turtlebay777

#16 Post by turtlebay777 »

timkb4cq wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:51 am Well, you can't beat free.
My freebie printer is an HP Laserjet 1022 which a guy was throwing because he couldn't find a driver to use with Win 7. It's still working with MX 18. New toner drum for it a couple of years ago Compatible HP Q2612A Black Toner Cartridge £16.98 inc VAT delivered.

xali

#17 Post by xali »

Stevo wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:28 pm
genericmeatsack wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:51 pm Some young neighbors GAVE me a Dell XPS (no, not the new one an old M1530). It needs the charging port replaced. Seems worth firing up the de-solderer if I can find the part. At 6 gig of ram, it beats my other machines by 2 gig.
Some laptops make that part replacable with just a screwdriver...but I don't have the service manual for that one.
i know almost nothing about these, but can this link help? https://www.parts-people.com/blog/2011/ ... tallation/

KBD

#18 Post by KBD »

Cristobal wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:33 pm Funnily enough, I've discovered the Thinklight 5 minutes ago... Another great idea/functionality.
It is a nice feature, but I tend to forget it's there :)

mxer

#19 Post by mxer »

KBD wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:44 am I still prefer small form factor laptops. I only have one laptop out of 5 that is over 12" screen.
I agree, 12~14" screens are great, I have one 15.6" HP laptop that I only use as a desktop machine, because I find the screen too big for me at close range. :cool:
(FOSS, Linux, & BSD since 1999)

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#20 Post by JayM »

KBD wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:44 am
Ghost67 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:41 am The best computer deal I've ever had is my little £200 netbook which I bought in 2008.
It's an ' Akoya E1210 'Mini' ' which is basically just a re-branded MSI U-100 'Wind' netbook. It has a 32bit Atom processor, 2GB ram (came with just 1GB), onboard intel GMA graphics and a 1024x600 display. It came with Windows XP but very soon was converted to a Linux machine, having hosted Mint, Ubuntu, Arch, Salix, and of course various releases of MX. It now happily purrs along using MX-18.3 32bit.
This machine has worked flawlessly and on a daily basis since 2008. I've never had any other hardware that has lasted so long without croaking or needing replacement parts.
(edited to remedy early morning typos)
The early netbooks were tough little beasts. I had one I particularly liked and still miss today. It was an Acer KAV60. I'd still probably have the thing but a hard drive burned up in it and filled it with toxic fumes so that I had to pitch it.
I still prefer small form factor laptops. I only have one laptop out of 5 that is over 12" screen.
Yep. Even the cheaper ones like the Averatec N1170, made by Trigem in Korea, that I bought for my wife in 2010 as a birthday gift and am currently using. An Intel Atom N270 1.6GHz single-core 32-bit CPU (slow, utilization maxes out often, but never gets hotter than 56C in a hot climate and it's rated at up to 90C.) Came with 1GB RAM upgraded to 2GB, its memory never gets beyond 65% utilization now. Some keys no longer work, the touchpad died years ago, the batteries no longer take a charge, the BIOS reverts to original settings (date: 01/01/2005) whenever AC power's disconnected, but the darn thing still runs and works, albeit rather slowly. I paid around ₱12,000/$250 for it new (computers, smartphones, digicams and other tech gadgets cost more in the Philippines than in many other countries including the US and EU.) It works best with antiX but I'm currently running MX on it with the 4.9.0-9-686-pae i686 Debian kernel. It even works OK with the stock 4.19.05 kernel (but I'm testing this one to see if it's better on this system or not.)
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Return to “General”