SOLVED Are there any bible memory apps for Linux?

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
duane

SOLVED Are there any bible memory apps for Linux?

#1 Post by duane »

Feel free to move this post elsewhere if you think it fits better somewhere else.

I was noticing the recent discussion about bible software.
I have been looking around and have never seen any bible memorization apps for linux.
Does anyone know of one?
I have been using Verselocker on my android phone.
It requires a wifi connection to use.
I think that is a shame that I can't use it offline.

A linux app itself that works somewhere along the same lines as VerseLocker is what I would like to find.
I do not have anyone that is interested in memorizing with me so I need an app.

Any ideas?
Last edited by duane on Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lenovo M92p Quad Core i5 3470 3.2Ghz

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Re: Are there any bible memory apps for Linux?

#2 Post by JayM »

Maybe you could do a web search and research which particular Linux app does what you want then request that it be added to the MX repositories.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

JeffA

#3 Post by JeffA »

Hi Duane,

Unfortunately, as far as I can find there are no actively developed ones.

However I'm using BibleMemorizer
http://biblememorizer.sourceforge.net/
https://sourceforge.net/projects/biblem ... memorizer/

It seems to have a niggle or two; the Sword plugin doesn't work, so I manually copy verses from other Bible software, and for some reason the cursor seems to get a little ahead or behind the typing. Also, I installed when I first started using Linux and it seems I had trouble figuring out how, I forget what all but I saved these notes. (You're on your own if you decide to follow them. :eek: )
It is designed to compile with both Qt3 and Qt4, as long as you have the Qt3 support library. If not:

sudo apt-get install libqt4-dev libqt4-qt3support g++ (these packages should also be in package installers).

Download the tar.gz-package from this page. Extract it. What you'd need to do in a terminal: (Go to the biblememorizer-0.6.4 directory from the source code download: cd path) ./configure make sudo make install The app will then show up in the usual places. If it gives plugin errors, you may need to change the plugin directory in Settings to /usr/lib/biblememorizer/plugins and pick the "English language book names" plugin. (The Sword plugin seems to cause a crash on my machine.)

cd path-to-the-extracted-folder (Go to the biblememorizer-0.6.4 directory from the source code download)
./configure
make
sudo make install
When I first installed it on MX I didn't realize the devs might be willing to help if practicable as JayM points out.

Also, e-Sword has a more full featured memory tool that seems to work in Wine, though I haven't really used it.

Any way, please let us know if you come up with anything else.

I think I also saw there are some online ones that are platform independent, but for some reason I'm slow at adopting "cloud" things.

duane

#4 Post by duane »

Thanks JeffA.
I will have a look at it tomorrow.
Can't keep my eyes open much longer tonight.

JeffA

#5 Post by JeffA »

I had forgotten about this one: https://sourceforge.net/projects/telbiblememory/

I never got it to work on my system. It has an i386.deb installer, so maybe if you have a 32 bit system. Also not actively developed in years.

Stevo
Developer

#6 Post by Stevo »

Biblememorizer only appeared in one release of Ubuntu back in 2012: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/bi ... .4-3build1

I would bet that it's not compatible with our current libsword11v5...

duane

#7 Post by duane »

Currently rummaging through my old computers to see if i have anything with old enough O/S to try something.

duane

#8 Post by duane »

I tried the telbiblememory on antiX 15 but it won't launch.
MX-15 and Antix 15 are the two oldest operating systems I have installed.
Last edited by duane on Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stevo
Developer

#9 Post by Stevo »

I can rebuild the Ubuntu version on MX, using Qt 4 instead of 3, but it doesn't seem to get the texts with libsword, like you already reported.

JeffA

#10 Post by JeffA »

Stevo wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:23 pm I can rebuild the Ubuntu version on MX, using Qt 4 instead of 3, but it doesn't seem to get the texts with libsword, like you already reported.
Thanks Stevo, I think that would be helpful. I find it useful even without the texts, especially as it's the only native Linux one I can get to work at all, and it does work pretty well for me. I do have things like libqt4-qt3support installed which I think I may have done when I installed BibleMemorizer?

Return to “General”