Mozilla has Been Nominated for the “Internet Villain” Award in the UK

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
Moltke

Mozilla has Been Nominated for the “Internet Villain” Award in the UK

#1 Post by Moltke »

Hi everyone! Hope youre all having a nice life! :)

Was reading throught my news feed when bumped into this; Mozilla has Been Nominated for the “Internet Villain” Award in the UK and thought of sharing with you my fellow linuxers hoping to read your thoughts on the topic.
https://www.ispa.org.uk/ispa-announces- ... -nominees/

Cheers! :)
Without each other's help there ain't no hope for us :happy:

rs55

Re: Mozilla has Been Nominated for the “Internet Villain” Award in the UK

#2 Post by rs55 »

Moltke wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:35 pm Hi everyone! Hope youre all having a nice life! :)

Was reading throught my news feed when bumped into this; Mozilla has Been Nominated for the “Internet Villain” Award in the UK and thought of sharing with you my fellow linuxers hoping to read your thoughts on the topic.
https://www.ispa.org.uk/ispa-announces- ... -nominees/

Cheers! :)
"ISPA Internet Villain

Mozilla – for their proposed approach to introduce DNS-over-HTTPS in such a way as to bypass UK filtering obligations and parental controls, undermining internet safety standards in the UK

Article 13 Copyright Directive – for threatening freedom of expression online by requiring ‘content recognition technologies’ across platforms

President Donald Trump – for causing a huge amount of uncertainty across the complex, global telecommunications supply chain in the course of trying to protect national security"

Haha - I cant tell if this is sly British humor or not. But I would give them both medals. Bypassing UK filtering obligations seems like a good thing, and the president of a nation protecting national security seems like ... well... a job description !!

sunrat

#3 Post by sunrat »

rs55 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:44 pmHaha - I cant tell if this is sly British humor or not. But I would give them both medals. Bypassing UK filtering obligations seems like a good thing, and the president of a nation protecting national security seems like ... well... a job description !!
Filtering and the loss of net neutrality are a curse on the internet. Mozilla should be hailed as Champions Of The Internet! :number1:

colin_b

#4 Post by colin_b »

Tip for villainous conspirators only ;) :

Enable DNS over HTTPS and Encrypted SNI in Firefox
https://miketabor.com/enable-dns-over-h ... n-firefox/

Check everything works here:

Browsing Experience Security Check
https://www.cloudflare.com/ssl/encrypted-sni/

It certainly speeds up browsing a bit.

Moltke

#5 Post by Moltke »

Some argue that Mozilla's feature DNS-over-HTTPS will diminish parental control, meaning that parents won't be able to stop their children from accesing certain "undesired" sites.
Without each other's help there ain't no hope for us :happy:

colin_b

#6 Post by colin_b »

https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-en ... n-firefox/
The DNS-over-HTTPS protocol works by taking a domain name that a user has typed in their browser and sending a query to a DNS server to learn the numerical IP address of the web server that hosts that specific site.

This is how normal DNS works, too. However, DoH takes the DNS query and sends it to a DoH-compatible DNS server (resolver) via an encrypted HTTPS connection on port 443, rather than plaintext on port 53.

This way, DoH hides DNS queries inside regular HTTPS traffic, so third-party observers won't be able to sniff traffic and tell what DNS queries users have run and infer what websites they are about to access.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/mozilla-n ... in-the-uk/
Browsers making DNS domain queries via HTTPS is not the catch-all privacy solution that many people think it is. There are other methods through which ISPs can observe and infer the websites a user is accessing and filter traffic at later points.

"We're surprised and disappointed that an industry association for ISPs decided to misrepresent an improvement to decades old internet infrastructure," Mozilla said.

"Despite claims to the contrary, a more private DNS would not prevent the use of content filtering or parental controls in the UK. DNS-over-HTTPS (DoH) would offer real security benefits to UK citizens.

"Our goal is to build a more secure internet, and we continue to have a serious, constructive conversation with credible stakeholders in the UK about how to do that," the browser maker told us.

jj1j1

#7 Post by jj1j1 »

Browsing Experience Security Check
https://www.cloudflare.com/ssl/encrypted-sni/
I ran across a site a while back that uses cloudflare. In my NoScript addon I had to enable cloudflare.com for the site to work. Now I know why they are using it; the sneaky devils. I still don't know how they can get away with it considering it has premium cable channels on it free to watch.
True freedom is never asking the question; Am I free?

Artim

#8 Post by Artim »

I would nominate Google and Facebook to share the Internet Villain title.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#9 Post by JayM »

So Mozilla's a villain for (supposedly: Mozilla denies that their secure, encrypted DNS works that way) circumventing the UK's content-filtering mechanism (Hadrian's Firewall, if you will) to allow people to do what they want to online, and Article 13 Copyright Directive is a villain for "threatening freedom of expression online..." Hypocrisy, much?
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

wulf

#10 Post by wulf »

Did you know that the UK is officially categorised as a surveillance state along with countries such as China? The real villian here is the voyeuristically obsessed establishment, and more specifically, the uselessness personified in a certain figure, who, when she was the Home Office Minister, deviously rushed through into legislation, the so-called "snoopers charter". Whatever Mozilla's supposed "slight of hand", it falls a looooooong way down the list compared to the government's own attitudes towards it's people..

Return to “General”