Backup Linux system

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
NGIB

Backup Linux system

#1 Post by NGIB »

MX has been my daily driver for several years and I'm happy with it. This being said, with the big changes on the horizon and the nasty kernel issues I decided to have a backup system ready to go. Debated on what to use and decided to keep it simple and use the latest Lubuntu LTS. Downloaded the latest, created a bootable thumb drive, and installed it on an extra partition of my "test" machine. In about 30 minutes I had it configured much the same as my MX system (program wise) and updated properly. At this point with an MX system, I'd make a snapshot and use that to transfer the configured system to my other laptops. Since this isn't an option I went back to a method I used previously, File System Archiver from my trusty Parted Magic system.

I used FSA to backup the Lubuntu partition and then copied the data files to an external USB drive. I then copied these files to the data partition of my other computers. I booted each from Parted Magic, created an appropriate partition, and restored that partition from the FSA backup. The last step is to boot into MX and update grub. While this sounds complex it's not and I had the new backup system setup and installed on all 3 of my laptops in about an hour. May not need a backup Linux system but it's comforting to know that it's ready to go if needed...
Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid...

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

Re: Backup Linux system

#2 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Why not just make a snapshot of your system? It's in MX Tools. Why is it not an option?
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

NGIB

#3 Post by NGIB »

The recent kernel issue "killed" a number of systems and I don't like to keep all my eggs in a single basket. If something bad happens to MX during the transition to MX-19, I will have a system to use until it gets ironed out. I have no plans to change my daily system unless something bad happens.

Also I keep a fresh snapshot handy...

asqwerth
Developer

#4 Post by asqwerth »

There is no transition though.

MX19 is based on Debian Buster, so unless you install a fresh iso, your current MX17/18 install will not transform/upgrade into MX19.

MX19 will be on a totally new and separate track of repos, etc.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

NGIB

#5 Post by NGIB »

I know it's a reinstall, I used the word transition to indicate moving to a new system. All I wanted to do is share a method to move configured systems that don't have a snapshot capability - as almost none do. If someone finds it of value that's great if not, no harm no foul...

mxer

#6 Post by mxer »

I think most people keep a 'live' distro around for any 'unforseen' problems, (can be a snapshot of a modified system), so wouldn't want to keep a dual boot system up to date, I know I certainly do - but if it suits your needs, that's fine. :cool:
(FOSS, Linux, & BSD since 1999)

nathan2423

#7 Post by nathan2423 »

I have been working in a similar direction, but trying to use Clonezilla rather than Partedmagic. Do you believe Partedmagic is superior in some way to using Clonezilla? I continue to read raves about Clonezilla but I've never found it very simple to work with. Is it worth the 11$ / year 49$ for a year of upgrades purchase price?

Edit: I see that Partedmagic apparently uses Clonezilla as its cloning software so that makes it even harder to see the value (?)

penguin

#8 Post by penguin »

As I have said many times in forum, I also use qt4-fsarchiver. I just cloned my 120 GB SSD to the new one 240 SSD. In fact this time in a different way. Started/booted laptop by DLC_Boot USB. Creation of partitions by Mini Partition in the new SSD. By DriveSnapshot I imaged/saved all partitions of old SSD in an external HDD and copied all to the new SSD. Booted laptop by MX Linux Live USB and installed Grub in the new SSD. Done.(In my old SSD, I have: Windows 10, MX linux, Sparky Linux and Storage Partition(NTFS) format. In another way ... booting with MX Linux Live USB.Partition of new SSD by gparted, image each partition(old SSD) by qt4-fsarchiver and copy/deploy them to news SSD. Install grub. I prefer to backup by qt4-fsarchiver or DriveSnapshot. Copy or re deploy of partitions is just couple of minutes.

KBD

#9 Post by KBD »

I must be the only person who never backs up their OS. I do back up all my files online and off. I have a short list of apps and setup items. I can probably install and set up MX in 20 minutes or so. Debian in around an hour. And these aren't systems that typically break.
Nevertheless I do see the appeal of complete backup for those with complicated setups and numerous apps.
Edit: I guess my back up system is Debian itself, though not really much difference between it and MX except MX much easier to setup and use, especially out of the box.

entropyfoe

#10 Post by entropyfoe »

Sure, my disk partitioning builds in a backup partition, for experimentation or redundancy.
In the four primary partitions, I have atypical Warren install, with three ,
sda1 =/
sda2 = swap
sda3=/home , though I typically don't use home for much. Because all data is on a separate terabyte SSD.
sda4 = a separate linux installation, usually antiX, a MX beta or antiX beta, like now, grub to root.
In this Ryzen machine these four are on an NVMe drive, and the data is on a Samsung evo TB SSD.

So, right now I am posting from the beta1, the current back-up partition for testing.
It is useful to have two installs, you can use them for troubleshooting, HW and SW, as well as providing a backup redundant way to access the stuff on the sdb, the data, where the value is.
Asus PRIME X470-PRO
AMD Ryzen 3600X (12 threads @ 3.8 GHz)
32 Gig DDR4 3600 (Crucial CL 16)
Nvidia GeForce GT 710
Samsung 970 NVMe nvme0n1 P1-3=MX-23, P4=testing
Samsung 980 NVMe =1TB Data, plus 2TB WD =backups
on-board ethernet & sound

Return to “General”