New keyboard

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
JayM
Qualified MX Guide

New keyboard

#1 Post by JayM »

I have been having a terrible time with keyboards over the past several days. First, my spacebar started acting up due to 2 1/2 years' worth of dust and animal hairs clogging the inner works, and when I turned it upside-down and tapped it to try to clean it I guess I tapped too hard and the spacebar broke. I pulled an old compact keyboard out of the store room and was using that for several days, then Saturday it completely stopped responding. I tried it again yesterday morning and it was working again except for the enter key, which is a rather important key to have.

As I had to go do my monthly grocery shopping anyway (supermarkets are usually located inside shopping malls here) I picked up this one:
http://www.cdrking.com/index.php?mod=pr ... 5&main=167
It cost rather more than I was hoping to spend, but as I also have some vision and lighting issues I thought that the backlighting would help. Unfortunately the actual characters on the keys aren't illuminated, just the surface surrounding the keys, but it does help somewhat. Also, those characters are quite large and as the keyboard is new they're very white and visible, which is also helpful. The keys have a pleasant feel to them too, not at all spongey-feeling like the compact keyboard's keys are, so the tactile feedback is quite good.

As this keyboard is around 20% larger than my old one, and the keys are spaced further apart to allow room for the surrounding illumination, and as I'm not a touch-typist but just a two-fingered "hunt-and-pecker", I'm having a few problems with my typing and with hitting the correct letters as the keys aren't quite where I'm used to them being. So if you notice more typographical errors in my posts, or more edits than usual, that's why.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

KoO

Re: New keyboard

#2 Post by KoO »

For $18.89c Australia you zero to complain about bro.. Their are two reviews on youtube check then out..
Main : MX 19.1-AHS (i3) 5.4.13-1~mx19+1, Asus B450-i AMD 5 3600 , 32gb Hyper-X 3200 , GTX970 . :linuxlove:
Lenovo T430 : Debian10 antiX17 (i3) , 4.20.12 , i5 , 12gb .
Lenovo X220 : Test Machine (ATM)

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#3 Post by JayM »

I've lived here for 10 years and I no longer think in terms of dollars, US or AU, but in terms of pesos. Php680 is a bit high for a computer keyboard when standard, non-gaming ones can be had for around 200-250 for the cheaper brands, 350ish for a somewhat better-quality one, though (not counting the compact keyboard which was only temporary) the one that this replaced is an Evolve brand that IIRC costs Php189 (around AU$5.25) and lasted for 2.5 years, and if it wasn't for my furry family (and total lack of regular cleanings and maintenance on my part) would probably last another couple of years beyond that. It wasn't a bad keyboard considering how cheap it was.

(Plus I had to plunk down Php1650, plus close to Php500 taxi fare round-trip, for a "new" 17" monitor only last week. My old one had so much compression damage from cleaning it that it was giving me eyestrain headaches and I couldn't take it anymore.)
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#4 Post by Eadwine Rose »

You know what they say.. all good things come in threes ;)

That goes for bad things as well, unfortunately!
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#5 Post by JayM »

Great. PLEASE don't let it be my computer! I can NOT afford a replacement right now.

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#6 Post by Eadwine Rose »

I sure hope not!!
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

srq2625

#7 Post by srq2625 »

JayM wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:28 am (Plus I had to plunk down Php1650, plus close to Php500 taxi fare round-trip, for a "new" 17" monitor only last week. My old one had so much compression damage from cleaning it that it was giving me eyestrain headaches and I couldn't take it anymore.)
I really, really hope this comes across as wanting to help....

I have a couple of LCD monitors I've been using for more than 10 years and they have yet to suffer any compression damage. I clean them, maybe, twice a year. OK, I know that will cause some to say, "How can you see through all the grit, grime, dust, and crud?" and others to say, "Well, you must live in a much cleaner environment." Well, I don't live along-side a dirt road as some do (I live in a city), but I do live with the windows open about 6 months out of the year and have two dogs with all joys and issues that come with them.

I manage to reduce the dust/grime/etc accumulation on the screen surface using a couple of simple techniques:
  • I NEVER, NEVER touch the screen with my hands/fingers, etc. NEVER!
  • I have the top of the screen positioned just slightly above eye-level (as measured when I'm sitting normally) and have the tilted ever so slightly top-forward. It takes a bit of time to get accustomed to the way the display looks in this position, but it's amazing the extent to which the mind can adapt to changes in environment. Positioning the screen in this manner seems to help prevent accumulation of dust, etc on the surface of the screen.
When I do clean the screens, it's with a recommended solvent and a very soft microfiber cloth and very gently. If the grime and slime don't come off the first time, repeat, but always gently.
AsusTek PRIME B450-Plus
AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8-Core, 16 threads)
Radeon HD 6570/7570/8550 / R5 230
Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 - driver: r8169
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB
DDR4 3200MHz CL16 2x8GB

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#8 Post by JayM »

srq2625 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:56 am
JayM wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:28 am (Plus I had to plunk down Php1650, plus close to Php500 taxi fare round-trip, for a "new" 17" monitor only last week. My old one had so much compression damage from cleaning it that it was giving me eyestrain headaches and I couldn't take it anymore.)
I really, really hope this comes across as wanting to help....
Of course it does! Thank you for the cleaning and maintenance tips. I was just using a soft damp cloth on the old monitor and there were small specks that didn't want to come off, and I stupidly tried rubbing harder. Now I know better.

jackdanielsesq

#9 Post by jackdanielsesq »

Good grief, man

Does a Jeepnee cost that much these days? :number1:
Y'all make me homesick - take care, happy cooking, hombre
BTW - great job on your spanking new server - you do good work

Regards

Jack

Return to “General”