The "Tiny Panel Bar" thread

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
manyroads

The "Tiny Panel Bar" thread

#1 Post by manyroads »

I am trying to gather people's experiences and notes on the use of "Tiny Panel Bars". :crossfingers: I am especially interested in small footprint panels such as: Please avoid providing data on resource heavy :eek: tools like Docky, plank, cairo.... etc. :lipsrsealed:

By way of introducing the discussion a bit... I am currently running tint2 & polybar on bspwm on both antiX19 and MX18. I plan to try lemonbar on that setup as well.
Naturally, I'll publish what I learn some here with links to details on my http://eirenicon.org/knowledge-base/

Cross-posted on antiX Forums.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

manyroads

Re: The "Tiny Panel Bar" thread

#2 Post by manyroads »

Just found another I'd not heard of before... Yabar (https://github.com/geommer/yabar)
Pax vobiscum,
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Artim

#3 Post by Artim »

Hard to say without screenshots and plain English descriptions for us non-geeky people

manyroads

#4 Post by manyroads »

Artim wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:59 pm Hard to say without screenshots and plain English descriptions for us non-geeky people
You can't fool me. I know you are a latent geek. :eek: :number1: I love your inquisitiveness.
Pax vobiscum,

manyroads

#5 Post by manyroads »

For those interested... I have incorporated user input and updated my list. You may find the list here (I'll try to keep it current):

http://eirenicon.org/2019/06/24/tiny-pa ... gathering/
Pax vobiscum,

malspa

#6 Post by malspa »

I like the tint2 panel for Openbox. Lately I've also been using a vertical, left-side tint2 panel in Fluxbox, instead of the Fluxbox toolbar. The toolbar can be set to autohide, but I simply made it disapper: Configuration > Toolbar > toggle "Visible".

Also I had to remove "systemtray" from the following line in the ~/.fluxbox/init file because apparently tint2's system tray couldn't start up if Fluxbox's systemtray was running:

Code: Select all

session.screen0.toolbar.tools:	prevworkspace, workspacename, nextworkspace, clock, prevwindow, nextwindow, iconbar
Here's a shot:

https://cdn.scrot.moe/images/2019/06/25 ... -05_03.png

Mod note: please keep the max size of linked images in mind, thanks
viewtopic.php?f=133&t=48374
Image changed to link

manyroads

#7 Post by manyroads »

malspa wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:36 pm I like the tint2 panel for Openbox. Lately I've also been using a vertical, left-side tint2 panel in Fluxbox, instead of the Fluxbox toolbar. The toolbar can be set to autohide, but I simply made it disappear: Configuration > Toolbar > toggle "Visible".

[...]
A variation on the MX standard layout. Nice. What does that setup idle at in terms of RAM use (baseline)?
Pax vobiscum,

malspa

#8 Post by malspa »

manyroads wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:33 pm A variation on the MX standard layout.
I guess you could say that, but I've been using a vertical panel like that in Openbox, Xfce, and KDE since before MX came into existence, I'm pretty sure.
manyroads wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:33 pmWhat does that setup idle at in terms of RAM use (baseline)?
I don't know, but the machine I'm using has only 2 GB RAM. Openbox, Fluxbox, LXDE, Xfce, any of those work fine on it.

manyroads

#9 Post by manyroads »

malspa wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:55 pm
manyroads wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:33 pm A variation on the MX standard layout.
I guess you could say that, but I've been using a vertical panel like that in Openbox, Xfce, and KDE since before MX came into existence, I'm pretty sure.
manyroads wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:33 pmWhat does that setup idle at in terms of RAM use (baseline)?
I don't know, but the machine I'm using has only 2 GB RAM. Openbox, Fluxbox, LXDE, Xfce, any of those work fine on it.
HTOP would tell you... ;)
Pax vobiscum,

handy

#10 Post by handy »

For quite a few years now, I have been using much the same Tint2, Openbox configuration. I like to position my Tint2 on the Openbox screen, in a position that has it sitting on top of any (except video players) windows. I place it on top of the title bar, so that the window gadgets are positioned right next to the Tint2 panel, on the right hand side.

I like this setup as it saves screen viewing area.

I use the Openbox Configuration Manager "Dock" tab, & choose:- Position: Floating & then Floating Position: 1037 x 1

This works for me & my font sizes on a 1080p or 1200p display.

For anyone interested, there are a number of screenshots of my Tint2 panel on top of some of the Worker file manager config' screens. This is the layout that I was using some years ago, on Manjaro. I use the same general thing now on my machines with various changes that different distro's & BSD's have bought along:

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?titl ... troduction
1_MSI: MAG B560 TORP', i5, RAM 16GB, GTX 1070 Ti 12GB, M2 238GB + USB, MX-23 Fb to Openbox
2_Lenovo: Ideapad 520S, i5, RAM 8GB, GPU i620, HDD 1TB, MX-21 - Openbox
3_Clevo: P150SM-A, i7, RAM 16GB, nVidia 8600, 2x 1TB HDD & M.2 256 GB, MX-21 - Openbox

Return to “General”