Microsoft would like to bring Edge to Linux

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
Eadwine Rose
Administrator

Re: Microsoft would like to bring Edge to Linux

#11 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Or reading the time off a clock with hands...... :(
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

manyroads

#12 Post by manyroads »

handy wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:02 am Tell him to do a search & cross his fingers?
He, also, marvels at all those old 'really good songs' on youtube where there are no videos (only still shots). :number1:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

KBD

#13 Post by KBD »

Microsoft keeps cozening up to Linux. I'm curious what their end game may be.

AK-47
Developer

#14 Post by AK-47 »

handy wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:52 amYour right about that. I too have noticed how the results of search engines have been continuing to deteriorate over time.

My results these days are nowhere near as good as they were in times gone by.

This is a VERY sad situation that is being imposed on the internet, & most users (especially the young ones) don't know its happening to them.
There used to be a huge abundance in search engines back in the day. You had AltaVista, Yahoo, Ask Jeeves, etc, even before Google was started. Now that Google has a monopoly (although there is StartPage.com and a handful of others, ultimately relying on Google's results) they can make the results as crappy ast they like.
Just like personal privacy disappearing. My government is not alone in operating policies that 25 years ago it would have jailed people for doing the same.

What do the young ones know about that? They think that the world always had mobile phones, computer & the internet!
Personal privacy has already disappeared to a large extent.

This makes me wonder about "third world countries" and makes me think they're better off without the technology and all that sometimes. But to the young ones' credit, this kind of thing is no longer new. Mobile phones became popular in the 90's (well, you can go back as the 50's/60's if you count the enormous ones that you'd carry a huge battery around), the Internet has been around since the 80's/90's (although you can go back as far as ARPANET and what have you).

Quite frankly, my enemy is not necessarily the government, it's private corporations snooping around and cloud computing. Although readily-available warrant-free access to such huge amounts of data without accountability is a problem, I have more of a problem with the Silicon Valley mafia than I have with the government.

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#15 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Just a reminder: viewtopic.php?p=255061#p255061

No lines crossed yet imho, but just reminding ;)
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator

j2mcgreg
Global Moderator

#16 Post by j2mcgreg »

KBD wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:21 am Microsoft keeps cozening up to Linux. I'm curious what their end game may be.
I'm thinking that they might be considering getting out of the operating system business in favour of selling their other products as services. Consider that their recent track record hasn't been all that stellar:

- they missed the boat on phones and tablets and Chromebooks have become the de facto standard computer for use in schools
- Vista and Win 8 were abysmal
- they had to give away Win 10 (it was likely far cheaper to do so than trying to fix Vista and Win 8 )
- Surface equipped devices aren't exactly flying off the shelves

I can see them ceding that market to Linux as long as they can then leverage the user base to consume their services.
HP 15; ryzen 3 5300U APU; 500 Gb SSD; 8GB ram
Aspire V5-571; CPU Intel I3; 500 GB SSD; Intel 2nd Gen Graphics; 8 GB Ram
Aspire XC-866; i3-9100; UHD 630; 8 GB ram; 1TB HDD

In Linux, newer isn't always better. The best solution is the one that works.

JBoman

#17 Post by JBoman »

"Microsoft keeps cozening up to Linux. I'm curious what their end game may be."

Easy one; parasites require a host to survive! :popcorn:
http://patentabsurdity.com/
AMD 64x2 2.6GHz 4GB ram MX-18.1 KDE regular updates
"beware a frequent flirt with potential disaster"

KBD

#18 Post by KBD »

This article from awhile back was interesting speculation:
'https://www.zdnet.com/article/ms-linux- ... top-linux/

For awhile I thought MS might buy Ubuntu, but the more I think about it, the less likely it seems. They would be wiser to do what Google did, dump Ubuntu and use free Debian as a base for servers. I thought perhaps they would use ChromiumOS as a base for Windows Lite. But they would want offline use for Office which would not be likely with ChromiumOS. I expect they will make further moves into Linux as time goes on. I don't want them to do it, but if they were smart they would build their Lite OS on a Debian core.
As for their Chromium based browser, I expect Chrome and new Edge are going to end up ruling the browser market because too many devs and web sites will only be building for Chrome, and not Firefox, which is not good. Microsoft has the developers to make a decent browser if they use good sense and because they aren't as interested in ads, they could keep Ublock Origin and other add-ons working fine.
Last edited by KBD on Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KBD

#19 Post by KBD »

Eadwine Rose wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:02 am Or reading the time off a clock with hands...... :(
I still prefer clocks and watches with the 12 hours and hands :)

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#20 Post by Eadwine Rose »

KBD wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:14 pm
Eadwine Rose wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:02 am Or reading the time off a clock with hands...... :(
I still prefer clocks and watches with the 12 hours and hands :)
I have a cuckoo clock.. that thing would look ridiculous with a digital display lol

Return to “General”