Systemd free MX19?

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
NickStone

Systemd free MX19?

#1 Post by NickStone »

Is it posible for the next version of MX to be systemd free like Antix?

mxer

Re: Systemd free MX19?

#2 Post by mxer »

Possible - yes - will it be - probably not - it is one of the differences between the distros. ;)
(FOSS, Linux, & BSD since 1999)

manyroads

#3 Post by manyroads »

What I gathered from another extensive thread on the topic here is that systemd / sysVinit are under discussion. Shim's continuation on debian is problematic, going forward. So, things are in flux.

My personal hope is that we get to keep both options here: a clean MX with sysVinit and one with systemd. If the decision is to make MX systemd based, I hope antiX provides an MX DE as an easily installed option on it. I'm personally perfectly happy moving to MX functionality on the antiX-base.

As a software geek of some nearly 50 years, I think a multi-DE (with a MX DE option added) on sysVinit antiX might be the best (cleanest) decision from a software support perspective. But don't trust my opinion (my opinions are almost always worth every penny you pay for them...) :bagoverhead:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

gosia

#4 Post by gosia »

My big wish: Please no MX only with systemd. systemd-based Distros there are already enough. The possibility to choose when booting is a good compromise. If this becomes too difficult, then it is better to do without systemd.

GuiGuy

#5 Post by GuiGuy »

gosia wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:48 am My big wish: Please no MX only with systemd. systemd-based Distros there are already enough. The possibility to choose when booting is a good compromise. If this becomes too difficult, then it is better to do without systemd.
+100

uncle mark

#6 Post by uncle mark »

I guess I understand at a shallow level the technical/philosophical/political objections to systemd, but as an unsophisticated run-of-the-mill user, I don't see what all the fuss is about. I long ago gave up on tilting at windmills and worrying over unknown unknowns, and today just want my machines to do what I want them to do, now and in the long run. My fear is that if MX remains a systemd holdout, eventually the rest of Linuxdom will move on and MX will become a marginalized niche distro with a dwindling user base and eventually dwindling contingent of developers.
Last edited by uncle mark on Sat May 18, 2019 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes

Jerry3904
Administrator

#7 Post by Jerry3904 »

Certainly worth thinking about.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

rs55

#8 Post by rs55 »

Maybe MX goes systemd and AntiX stays systemd-free. That would be one way to evolve. Make AntiX closer to MX in functionality ( xfce, MX Tools etc) - but systemd-free ( and may I suggest make pulseaudio optional).
Because - at the moment I am struggling to see the reason for AntiX - other than being the mothership that launched MX.

skidoo

#9 Post by skidoo »

the rest of Linuxdom will move on and
it's well under way.
They've skipped past "the year of the linux desktop" ~~ the focus, the agenda, across the past several years has been toward "the decade of converting 'desktop linux' into WindowsNT Workstation"
You have attempted to change a pre-assigned desktop icon.
This incident has been reported.

GuiGuy

#10 Post by GuiGuy »

I see that BitJam is not willing to tackle this problem, but could anybody else do it?

Return to “General”