Systemd free MX19?

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
AK-47
Developer

Re: Systemd free MX19?

#61 Post by AK-47 »

uncle mark wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:41 am
BitJam wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:01 am Any sufficiently advanced far-sighted pragmatism is indistinguishable from idealism.
Sounds like magic to me.
maybe he is a computer wizard. :happy:

mx-2018

#62 Post by mx-2018 »

Many Linux users and developers seem to disagree on a lot of things, and systemd is just one of them. No wonder why Linux can't be and will never be a dominant OS for desktop use. That is a sad reality and it pains me because I have learned to like Linux after more than 2 years of learning how to use it.

I don't know everybody's priorities, but mine is simply to get my work done without having to worry about security and stability. I am more concerned about fixing vulnerabilities of my CPU than the presence or absence of systemd.
MX-18_x64 Continuum March 14 2018
Intel Core2 Quad Q9400
Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics

richb
Administrator

#63 Post by richb »

mx-2018 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 4:19 pm Many Linux users and developers seem to disagree on a lot of things, and systemd is just one of them. No wonder why Linux can't be and will never be a dominant OS for desktop use. That is a sad reality and it pains me because I have learned to like Linux after more than 2 years of learning how to use it.

I don't know everybody's priorities, but mine is simply to get my work done without having to worry about security and stability. I am more concerned about fixing vulnerabilities of my CPU than the presence or absence of systemd.
No need to worry/ This will work itself out eventually. These things usually do. In my opinion, there will be a general consensus with the majority adopting systemd. But also a scattering of very solid distros surviving for a long time that feature sysvinit. Linux will live.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

rasat

#64 Post by rasat »

Did a quick test by upgrading MX 18.2 with buster. Before upgrading, installed gnome which requires systemd. Did the reboot, run Gnome, works well. inspiring to see how "systeminit-core" runs systemd without knowing. Definitely, this function will be missed for a long time. With an optimistic thought, I upgraded to buster by knowing stretch systemd-shim will not be removed. Everything went smoothly by using one sequence list how to do. Did the reboot....... looked sooo promising. Lightdm appeared and I got delighted for few seconds. Until the login screen started to blink back and forth. :((( ..... it was a nice try. :)

GuiGuy

#65 Post by GuiGuy »

Strange thought:-
If MX19 is made without the systemd-init option, it will be very similar to Devuan :alien: .
And if it is made without the sysv-init option, some people might prefer Devuan :frown: .

P.S. I have tried out Devuan live and it works quite well even without its 245 updates!

skidoo

#66 Post by skidoo »

Jerry3904
Administrator

#67 Post by Jerry3904 »

Tee hee...
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

dreamer

#68 Post by dreamer »

GuiGuy wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:41 pm Strange thought:-
If MX19 is made without the systemd-init option, it will be very similar to Devuan :alien: .
And if it is made without the sysv-init option, some people might prefer Devuan :frown: .

P.S. I have tried out Devuan live and it works quite well even without its 245 updates!
antiX is most likely the place for MX refugees. You don't even have to change forum. I haven't tried antiX and Devuan, but there is more life in Stretch.

richb
Administrator

#69 Post by richb »

dreamer wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:03 pm
GuiGuy wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:41 pm Strange thought:-

antiX is most likely the place for MX refugees. You don't even have to change forum. I haven't tried antiX and Devuan, but there is more life in Stretch.
While you do not HAVE to change Forum, remember there is an active antiX Forum as well,with more antiX expertise aboard.
https://www.antixforum.com
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

handy

#70 Post by handy »

I've got antiX running on an old 24" iMac & (with my custom Openbox setup) it is barely distinguishable from my MX setup. There are likely some tools that one has that the other doesn't, though I don't really know as I have hardly ever used any of them.

MX & antiX are both very good Linux distros (with good friendly community) & they don't use systemd (which is important to me, & it is why I use them).
1_MSI: MAG B560 TORP', i5, RAM 16GB, GTX 1070 Ti 12GB, M2 238GB + USB, MX-23 Fb to Openbox
2_Lenovo: Ideapad 520S, i5, RAM 8GB, GPU i620, HDD 1TB, MX-21 - Openbox
3_Clevo: P150SM-A, i7, RAM 16GB, nVidia 8600, 2x 1TB HDD & M.2 256 GB, MX-21 - Openbox

Return to “General”