Zombieload

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
KBD

Re: Zombieload

#41 Post by KBD »

Question guys: How important is it to disable hyper-threading? Google is doing it now with ChromeOS. I wouldn't even know how to start to disable this, or if it even makes sense in Linux. What do you folks think about hyper-threading and avoiding some of these intel issues by disabling it?

figueroa

#42 Post by figueroa »

beardedragon wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:05 pm

Code: Select all

bob@MX:~/Downloads
$ sudo ./spectre-meltdown-checker.sh
sudo: ./spectre-meltdown-checker.sh: command not found
Make sure it is executable. Make sure you are in the same directory as the script.
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

figueroa

#43 Post by figueroa »

KBD wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:03 pm Question guys: How important is it to disable hyper-threading? Google is doing it now with ChromeOS. I wouldn't even know how to start to disable this, or if it even makes sense in Linux. What do you folks think about hyper-threading and avoiding some of these intel issues by disabling it?
I'm going to let it all hang out here saying that if you are on a single user or family computer that isn't performing any server functions exposed directly to the Internet (i.e. behind a router with NAT), and you haven't exposed ports to unauthenticated users, it's not very important. Users should evaluate their own exposure and consider reducing that exposure, eliminating exposure to the extent possible. Practicing safe computing is more important that locking down the CPU. Disclaimer -- this is my reasonably informed opinion.
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

Kulmbacher

#44 Post by Kulmbacher »

beardedragon wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:05 pm

Code: Select all

bob@MX:~/Downloads
$ sudo ./spectre-meltdown-checker.sh
sudo: ./spectre-meltdown-checker.sh: command not found
just use: $ sudo spectre-meltdown-checker
they called him, the fish!

Head_on_a_Stick

#45 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

KBD wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:03 pm How important is it to disable hyper-threading?
I would recommend disabling SMT for Intel hardware, there are almost certainly many more undiscovered vulnerabilities that can take advantage of Intel's broken microarchitecture.

The vulnerabilities can be targetted through the browser using javascript so the risk is very real even for "normal" desktop users.
mod note: Signature removed, please read the forum rules

Head_on_a_Stick

#46 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

beardedragon wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:30 pm I give up,I am going to install fresh and not use that kernel.
The kernel you were using was protected according to the /sys content you posted earlier.

That silly spectre-meltdown-checker script just reads those values anyway.

richb
Administrator

#47 Post by richb »

I do not think the spectre-meltdown-checker is silly. beargdragon had his running script when in post #25.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Head_on_a_Stick

#48 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

richb wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:23 am I do not think the spectre-meltdown-checker is silly.
Hey, it's just my opinion :happy:

I don't see why a 4508 line script should be preferred over the information already provided by the kernel, especially when said script draws it's results from the same files in /sys that my posted one-liner does.

richb
Administrator

#49 Post by richb »

I respect your opinion.

The script is in our repos so easily available to new users. It also has explanation abilities for the output. In my opinion it brings the information closer to ease of use and understanding for the average user. Both methods, however, probably raise more questions than answers unless the user digs deeper to understand the issues.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

oops

#50 Post by oops »

"...raise more questions than answers unless the user digs deeper to understand the issues."
... Exact richb, it is the main problem, The problematic is too deeper to almost everybody (me included).
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

Return to “General”