Zombieload

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
KBD

Zombieload

#1 Post by KBD »

Artim

Re: Zombieload

#2 Post by Artim »

Why are security fixes always a trade-off between security and performance? And why do software devs have to add all kindsa code to fix bad hardware? Rawr!

This almost makes me glad for my hardware that is older than 2011.

KBD

#3 Post by KBD »

Artim wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 2:38 am Why are security fixes always a trade-off between security and performance? And why do software devs have to add all kindsa code to fix bad hardware? Rawr!

This almost makes me glad for my hardware that is older than 2011.
It covers the full swath of most of my computers. I figure with every update/patch they diminish our computers. Of course intel would love for us to just buy new computers with their chips in them, but they are not inspiring confidence in their product :(

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Artim wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 2:38 am Why are security fixes always a trade-off between security and performance? And why do software devs have to add all kindsa code to fix bad hardware?
Because Intel are a bunch of incompetent morons.
mod note: Signature removed, please read the forum rules

KBD

#5 Post by KBD »

Interestingly, Google just disabled hyperthreading to help mitigate this on Chromebooks:
https://www.aboutchromebooks.com/news/c ... -security/

Stevo
Developer

#6 Post by Stevo »

Debian just pushed a new intel-microcode into Stretch security to mitigate the four new ones:
- CVE-2018-12126 [microarchitectural store buffer data sampling (MSBDS)] aka 'Fallout'
- CVE-2018-12130 [microarchitectural fill buffer data sampling (MFBDS)] aka 'ZombieLoad'
- CVE-2018-12127 [microarchitectural load port data sampling (MLPDS)] aka 'RIDL'
- CVE-2019-11091 [microarchitectural data sampling uncacheable memory (MDSUM)] aka 'RIDL'
I didn't see it pushed to Jessie, so we will have in the main MX 15/16 repo.

The new spectre-meltdown-checker 0.41 I just packaged and sent up scans for these and reported my system OK after rebooting with the new microcode. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hwSIe ... McYR2FO6gU

KBD

#7 Post by KBD »

Thanks for the info Stevo!

Brigs

#8 Post by Brigs »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:23 pm
Because Intel are a bunch of incompetent morons.
+1 :spinning:
Stevo wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:15 pm Debian just pushed a new intel-microcode into Stretch security to mitigate the four new ones:
- CVE-2018-12126 [microarchitectural store buffer data sampling (MSBDS)] aka 'Fallout'
- CVE-2018-12130 [microarchitectural fill buffer data sampling (MFBDS)] aka 'ZombieLoad'
- CVE-2018-12127 [microarchitectural load port data sampling (MLPDS)] aka 'RIDL'
- CVE-2019-11091 [microarchitectural data sampling uncacheable memory (MDSUM)] aka 'RIDL'
I didn't see it pushed to Jessie, so we will have in the main MX 15/16 repo.

The new spectre-meltdown-checker 0.41 I just packaged and sent up scans for these and reported my system OK after rebooting with the new microcode. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hwSIe ... McYR2FO6gU

Code: Select all

CVE-2018-12126 aka 'Fallout, microarchitectural store buffer data sampling (MSBDS)'
* CPU supports the MD_CLEAR functionality:  YES 
* Kernel supports using MD_CLEAR mitigation:  NO 
> STATUS:  VULNERABLE  (Your microcode supports mitigation, but your kernel doesn't, upgrade it to mitigate the vulnerability)

CVE-2018-12130 aka 'ZombieLoad, microarchitectural fill buffer data sampling (MFBDS)'
> STATUS:  VULNERABLE  (Your microcode supports mitigation, but your kernel doesn't, upgrade it to mitigate the vulnerability)

CVE-2018-12127 aka 'RIDL, microarchitectural load port data sampling (MLPDS)'

CVE-2019-11091 aka 'RIDL, microarchitectural data sampling uncacheable memory (MDSUM)'
which kernel suggesting for mitigate those issue ?
MX18 - 4.19.0-16.1-liquorix
i7-2700K@4.3 - Z68V-Pro - RX-560 - 2x8GB D3 - 3x2TB

El-Capitan
i5-760@3.4 - P7P55D-E - XFX 6850B.E - 4x2GB D3 - 500GB

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#9 Post by JayM »

Artim wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 2:38 am This almost makes me glad for my hardware that is older than 2011.
Likewise. I plan to continue buying used or surplus computers rather than brand-new ones, should I buy another, and look for AMD CPUs in them. Not only are old surplus machines less expensive, buying those is also the green thing to do, reusing them instead of throwing them in a landfill, plus any issues with their CPUs and firmware has been fixed for a long time already. I don't play games as I find them boring after an hour or so, so I have no need of the latest, greatest, fastest, bestest computer. Old is fine, just as long as it doesn't break down on me and stop working.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Stevo
Developer

#10 Post by Stevo »

The 5.0-16 Liquorix kernel I just sent up doesn't show any vulnerabilities. I'm also rebuilding a new 4.19.0-5 4.19.37-2 kernel that Sid added yesterday with mitigations for those possible exploits.. It should be the default kernel in MX 18.3.

The latest Debian 4.9 kernel also has fixes for those.

Return to “General”