Wayland in Buster

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
KBD

Wayland in Buster

#1 Post by KBD »

Not sure I like the sound of this. Wayland in because Gnome needs it and it's the Debian Stable default, irregardless of other apps and DE's.
https://jmtd.net/log/buster_wayland/

AK-47
Developer

Re: Wayland in Buster

#2 Post by AK-47 »

I don't think this is quite as bad as it seems, definitely not like the systemd debacle. X has become a monstrosity split up into 300+ modules. Something had to change, and it was the X devs themselves who created Wayland.

Someone has to step up and make the change, and Debian and GNOME have done just that. Soon the graphics cards will follow. Now, they haven't completely blocked X.org, nor will other distributions be forced to include Wayland. I don't see MX Linux or antiX including a Wayland compositor by default, because as far as I know XFWM doesn't support it, and IceWM and others are not there yet. The keyword here is default rather than mandatory.

KBD

#3 Post by KBD »

AK-47 wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 7:31 pm I don't think this is quite as bad as it seems, definitely not like the systemd debacle. X has become a monstrosity split up into 300+ modules. Something had to change, and it was the X devs themselves who created Wayland.

Someone has to step up and make the change, and Debian and GNOME have done just that. Soon the graphics cards will follow. Now, they haven't completely blocked X.org, nor will other distributions be forced to include Wayland. I don't see MX Linux or antiX including a Wayland compositor by default, because as far as I know XFWM doesn't support it, and IceWM and others are not there yet. The keyword here is default rather than mandatory.
X has to go, but even Ubuntu skipped Wayland for its 18.04 LTS release last year, and that was with its default Gnome desktop. I just hope Debian isn't jumping the gun.

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

The X-based GNOME desktop is still available as an option in the log in screen.
mod note: Signature removed, please read the forum rules

kc1di

#5 Post by kc1di »

The X-based desktop will be around for awhile yet. Wayland is still too buggy to every day use but is getting better, How ever some hardware is not yet compatible. Last I knew Nvidia was still a problem on wayland. Hope they go slow and not jump in with both feet just yet.

dreamer

#6 Post by dreamer »

Not much software is Wayland compatible. XWayland will be around for the next 25 years so people can get work done. Then it's time to modernize the display stack again. ;)

I don't buy that X.org couldn't be modernized. It's not like Windows and macOS created their display stacks yesterday. It's more like X.org developers saying "We are tired of this, we'll create a display protocol and then the DEs can do the heavy lifting".

It's the opposite to systemd. Instead of pushing out alternative init systems, you pull the rug from under the DEs and say that only DEs that can provide their own display stack have a future on Linux. Wayland will split the Linux community in half for the foreseeable future.

I wish not every new piece of Linux tech would break the desktop Linux ecosystem: GTK3 was famous for doing this twice a year, systemd all the time more or less, Wayland is only doing it once but worse than anything that has happened before.

I have heard Wayland is really good for infotainment systems in cars and also for kiosk-like applications. And mobile phones. The Linux desktop on the other hand is probably not a place where you want to limit what the user can do. If that's the aim Wayland can be a solution for the desktop too.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a Linux desktop with a more locked down GUI than Windows and macOS? ;) Maybe Chrome(ium) OS is the future after all.

KBD

#7 Post by KBD »

dreamer wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 1:43 pm
Wouldn't it be nice to have a Linux desktop with a more locked down GUI than Windows and macOS? ;) Maybe Chrome(ium) OS is the future after all.
Then Google will pull the rug out from under everyone with Fuchsia:
https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/9/18563 ... s-revealed

kc1di

#8 Post by kc1di »

O' No not google!

MadmanRB

#9 Post by MadmanRB »

I dunno if this is a good idea.
At least with the move to systemd made sense, considering if you feel if its the next incarnation of satan or not at least systemd has become stable for most users.
Wayland still seems like a pet project, its gotten better but having it default is a bad idea especially on a system well known for stability.
Debian should consider what Ubuntu did, make an X fallback because as flawed as X is it still works on more hardware than wayland currently
Blue bunny from outer space!

Head_on_a_Stick

#10 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

MadmanRB wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:25 pm Debian should consider what Ubuntu did, make an X fallback
Please read my last post in this thread.
mod note: Signature removed, please read the forum rules

Return to “General”