Microsoft is going to ship a full Linux kernel Win10

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
bobbee

Re: Microsoft is going to ship a full Linux kernel Win10

#11 Post by bobbee »

Windows has been moving away from OS sales and towards ToS sales.
I think for them, I'm not sure how much they make off selling support.
But I'm sure both are dwarfed by them selling marketing. Forcing news feeds into peopls desktops which I'm sure they can generate add revenue.
But above that, those Terms of Service let them spy on every detail, every keystroke, every mouse hover, all personal data.
And sell that to whoever they choose. How much difference is having a different kernel going to make with reguards to that, probably none. If anything, it will put them more in line with Apple, which OSX was developed from Open BSD linux. Back when Jobs left apple to develop NExT, and returned bringing the os with him.

Will it do anything for the linux world. It is hard to say.

Head_on_a_Stick

#12 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

bobbee wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 5:16 pm OSX was developed from Open BSD linux
OSX is based on FreeBSD.

Anyway, Microsoft have made consistent contributions to kernel development over several years and they are a Platinum member of the Linux Foundation:

https://www.linuxfoundation.org/membership/members/

So I think we should all be thankful to MS for their efforts :happy:
mod note: Signature removed, please read the forum rules

bobbee

#13 Post by bobbee »

So you think MS is a contributor to the Linux Foundation out of the goodness of their non-existent hearts?

I guess I'm not that naive.

thomasl

#14 Post by thomasl »

Not only is MS adding a real Linux kernel to their WSL, they will also be releasing a new 5.0 version of .Net. Take this quote from https://devblogs.microsoft.com/dotnet/i ... ing-net-5/ :
Today, we’re announcing that the next release after .NET Core 3.0 will be .NET 5. This will be the next big release in the .NET family.
There will be just one .NET going forward, and you will be able to use it to target Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS, Android, tvOS, watchOS and WebAssembly and more.
We will introduce new .NET APIs, runtime capabilities and language features as part of .NET 5.
Embrace, extend, extinguish. The old game.

I am really glad they botched Windows 8 to 10 so very badly... or else I might not have found the drive to start the long-winded process of changing my base OS. This process is still not finished and there are some things in Linux that are quite bothersome but overall it's the only way forward.
Frugal installs on Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Ryzen 5 4650U/24GB * HP Pavilion Ryzen 3 3300U/16GB * Toshiba R950 i5-3340M/12GB
I have a reservation... What do you mean it's not in the COMPUTER!

AK-47
Developer

#15 Post by AK-47 »

I've seen my fair share of Microsoft's "embrace, extend, extinguish" antics, and considering all that has gone on within Linux land lately, I smell a rat.

As for them making a mess of Windows 8 and not knowing how to count, I do wish Windows 8 and Windows 10 were not so bad. Fundamentally speaking Windows is a good operating system (at least the Windows NT based ones are), and I would continue running just Windows if they didn't try to turn my PC into a smartphone that breaks every time I try to start it, because it wants to do an update.

g3982

#16 Post by g3982 »

Microsoft, as all other companies, always work for a profit. 'Free' Services and Software by a company either use you as a beta tester, or expect you to upgrade to a paid service once you are familiar enough with the program/service, or want you to be a developer to the ecosystem and lure customers in. There is nothing wrong using something 'free' from Microsoft as long as you are satisfied by the current state of the program/service and is mature enough and cover your needs. But you always must be prepared, if something is not making a profit for them, they can terminate it unexpectedly or never fix a bug in it even if its just one line of code.

mxer

#17 Post by mxer »

From what I have read, this kernel is still going to be emulated on top of a MS kernel.
(FOSS, Linux, & BSD since 1999)

Head_on_a_Stick

#18 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

bobbee wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 2:48 am So you think MS is a contributor to the Linux Foundation out of the goodness of their non-existent hearts?
No of course not, they are contributing to Linux because they see commercial benefit in it.

But why does the motivation matter? The code is the important thing and they are helping to improve it.

And Microsoft can't extinguish Linux because the GPL won't let them :-)
mod note: Signature removed, please read the forum rules

bobbee

#19 Post by bobbee »

They might not be able to extinguish it, but they could influence changes in the core that would not be good for users or developers.
A company with deep pockets like that could do allot of good things, but they can also do allot of bad.

rs55

#20 Post by rs55 »

MS is focused on corporations and the cloud. I think consumers have become an after thought. I cant imagine why your average consumer needs to put up with all the hassles - and security risks ( actually, gaping holes).

Return to “General”