xfce 4.14 update

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
manyroads

xfce 4.14 update

#1 Post by manyroads »

FYI... here are some clues to 4.14 of xfce

https://bluesabre.org/2019/04/18/xubunt ... ve-update/
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

figueroa

Re: xfce 4.14 update

#2 Post by figueroa »

That little tour did nothing but discourage me about xubuntu. No room in my life for bleeding edge baloney.
(I wasn't considering it anyway. That bridge was long ago burned.)
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

Artim

#3 Post by Artim »

Xfce isn't exactly famous for "bleeding edge baloney" though. It's development has been very slow and deliberate. As for Xubuntu, I think it's great and better yet because it's truly a community distro where users and devs all have some input. But it's Ubuntu-based, so I would only use LTS editions, and even then I would have reservations because of updates from Ubuntu.

manyroads

#4 Post by manyroads »

I have to say... I personally like bleeding edge baloney. :lipsrsealed: I think it's pretty good with lettuce, mustard and rye. :p
Pax vobiscum,
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

dreamer

#5 Post by dreamer »

I installed it.

:happy: Good things:
Xfce
systemd behaved well
GTK3 rendering bug has been fixed
kernel 5 without problems

:frown: Bad things:
The repos were missing good stuff that are present in Debian Stretch (this is basically Debian Testing)
Snaps are pushed everywhere
(ugly) Plymouth (think Windows 10)
Installer slow
many GTK3 (3.24) themes are slightly unfinished because it takes a long time to polish a theme

9_9 Crazy things:
MATE desktop is offered with experimental Wayland session with Mir compositor installable as Snap

Overall better than expected, but I really worry about the future of Linux... Despite the rapid change of Windows 10 there is much more "plumbing" done in Linux distros. It's like a war against diversity... I think Stretch might be the last release where all the old tools are present. :turtle:

manyroads

#6 Post by manyroads »

@dreamer, we may need to go and hide in environments like Openbox. fluxbox, icewm etc.
Pax vobiscum,

BV206

#7 Post by BV206 »

Artim wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:32 pm But it's Ubuntu-based, so I would only use LTS editions, and even then I would have reservations because of updates from Ubuntu.
What's wrong with Ubuntu's updates?

manyroads

#8 Post by manyroads »

BV206 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:35 pm
Artim wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:32 pm But it's Ubuntu-based, so I would only use LTS editions, and even then I would have reservations because of updates from Ubuntu.
What's wrong with Ubuntu's updates?
I think you may have wandered into a degree of fervor that could prove dangerous... :eek:
Pax vobiscum,

asqwerth
Developer

#9 Post by asqwerth »

I have xfce 4.13+ (gtk3) on my manjaro install on my laptop.

Pretty often, an update will mess with the Xfce desktop's theming.

That makes thunar-gtk3, logout dialogue window, and some elements of the Xfce panel ignore my icon, theme and font settings, and revert to gnome/adwaita icons and default font size (which is tiny on my hidpi screen).

The window manager theme is unaffected, and the rest of the apps and windows don't have that problem.

Sometimes a reboot will sort it out while other times only the next series of updates will.

I suppose it's because Manjaro is actively rolling all the little updates in the development of 4.13+ on its way to the end goal of 4.14 , but it's not finished yet.

The difference is that xubuntu takes just a snapshot of xfce 4.13 at a particular point in its development, so they probably chose a point where everything in the default xubuntu setup was working.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

asqwerth
Developer

#10 Post by asqwerth »

Oops, forgot that since Manjaro is rolling, the regular updates of gtk3 and gnome elements might probably affect xfce-gtk3 as well. That likely contributes to the problems as xfce 4.13 continues its development.

Each Xubuntu release will be built on a fixed gtk3 version.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Return to “General”