Laptop died and has been replaced

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
j2mcgreg
Global Moderator

Laptop died and has been replaced

#1 Post by j2mcgreg »

My new laptop got doused with hot tea and is now dead. Babe (my cat) got startled and careened through my legs which caused me to trip and spill the tea. We are fine but the laptop is headed for the recycle bin. I now need a new laptop. I am open to suggestions as to which brand to buy or avoid amongst Lenovo, HP, and Asus. Acer is out because of the headaches this now dead machine presented and MSI is out because the models available here in Toronto are just way to expensive.

Thanks in Advance
Last edited by j2mcgreg on Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HP 15; ryzen 3 5300U APU; 500 Gb SSD; 8GB ram
Aspire V5-571; CPU Intel I3; 500 GB SSD; Intel 2nd Gen Graphics; 8 GB Ram
Aspire XC-866; i3-9100; UHD 630; 8 GB ram; 1TB HDD

In Linux, newer isn't always better. The best solution is the one that works.

chrispop99
Global Moderator

Re: Laptop died

#2 Post by chrispop99 »

Lenovo or Dell.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

cyrilus31

#3 Post by cyrilus31 »

Are you sure the laptop is dead? I saved one that has taken a coffee bath.

NotTheUnsub

#4 Post by NotTheUnsub »

I believe Lenovos have drip holes in case of spills.
I've never tested on my used Lenovo, but see the water drop icons on the bottom.
Desktop: Win 10 Pro, Dell Optiplex 980 MT, i5 670, 3.45 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB SSHD
Laptop #1: MX-19(x64), Dell E5430, i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60GHZ, 8 GB RAM, 1TB Firecuda SSHD
Laptop #2: MX-19 (x64): Thinkpad T420s, i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz, 8GB RAM, 320 GB HDD

mxer

#5 Post by mxer »

Might be OK if left for a week or so to air dry, maybe take out the ram, disk, & battery, set it aside to see if it recovers.

Re which manufacturer, I've been using a HP G62 for a few years without any problems, mainly been running AntiX, (& occasionally OpenBSD).

I've not had any problems with my old Acer netbooks, both been running AntiX, & the occasional other, including OpenBSD & Tiny Core.
(FOSS, Linux, & BSD since 1999)

j2mcgreg
Global Moderator

#6 Post by j2mcgreg »

cyrilus31 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:52 pm Are you sure the laptop is dead? I saved one that has taken a coffee bath.
Yeah, it's been a couple of days and it won't turn on.

j2mcgreg
Global Moderator

#7 Post by j2mcgreg »

mxer wrote:
I've not had any problems with my old Acer netbooks, both been running AntiX, & the occasional other, including OpenBSD & Tiny Core
I've got a couple of old Acer machines that are running like champs, however their implementation of the Insidious (I mean InsydeH2O) Set Up Utility in their new laptops is aggravation personified.

KBD

#8 Post by KBD »

Sorry to hear about the accident.

Thinkpads. I've owned 7 and they are durable, Linux friendly, and they take a beating. There are youtube videos of people pouring water on Thinkpads while they are running--I don't recommend trying it.
I got all of mine off of Ebay, but they are everywhere. These are business class machines that constantly come off of lease and are often reasonably priced because there are so many of them.

Davo

#9 Post by Davo »

Depends what you have to spend etc. What Dell used to be for sheer number of top-end cutting-edge ports, upgrade-ability factors etc for their very high level XPS (now more higher-priced) is what HP is now very aggressively targeting and massively so too.
Very many HP's like the more budget 15-cw stuff or the slightly more upmarket 15-cx stuff come replete with so much inter-connectivity angles like usb-c and multiple usb many 3 or 3.1 ports, all manner of hdmi,dp and dvi stuff, in built hvme ssd plus hdd
good upgrading stuff, pretty good i5 cpus, decent battery, high mid-range gpus etc. Huge minefield these days with so many multiple models almost identical but not quite so. Almost no other OEM comes close to HP atm here, for the complete(st) package for the nicest price.

Need to drill down on the specs and then see what's current and what's maybe on some discount (costco etc), all manner of benchmarks etc. HP was very ropey just recently for UEFI stuff, but no more. Asus always pretty OK on their high-end stuff, Acer on some specific models,
the chinese Lenovo fairly OK, Dell still very good but nowadays very pricey. For ports, connectivity and many other factors just very hard to look past HP now though, I'd think. HP used to skimp on 3 notable areas, but have now stopped doing this.

I would first look very hard at HP and then look at the market as a whole. Whatever pricepoint you have in mind. Presume somewhere can$ 600~1000. HP is positioning itself mostly nowadays that it simply will not be beaten on any premium specs - like ports, ssd+hdd, ram, gpu etc.
Not beaten for price and not to beaten for bang-for-buck. A good starting point I'd like to think. I do like a company that is very aggressive in this way. It's good for us too, as consumers.

HP has been hugely targetting mid-range America (sorry, canada or the whole world actually) this past year, winning back some significant market-share etc. Not all models though (and beware the overpriced last-year special sale duds) and so many subtle differences between models too. You really do need to
get very pro-active these days with each OEM manufacturer having about 50+ models on the market (with about 90% always either sub-par or else over-priced or just out-of-date). I would go HP with no question myself, as so much bang-for-buck from them.

Would have to be the exact best model though, with the 100% best marriage of all possible angles - cpu, gpu, ports, upgrades possible, ram ,ssd etc etc

j2mcgreg
Global Moderator

#10 Post by j2mcgreg »

Update: A friend of mine who is a hardware savant and recent retiree from Celestica is going to take a look at it. I think that it's a lost cause but he says he had success with similar recovery projects when he was still on the job.

Return to “General”