Friend decided to install mxlinux

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
Eadwine Rose
Administrator

Friend decided to install mxlinux

#1 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Yesterday evening a friend on my facebook list out of the blue:

Yay!! I am on linux!

Me: :eek:

She continued: Yeah my windows stopped working, it wouldn't even boot, so, for kicks I plugged in MX and installed it, had nothing to lose anyway.

Needless to say: proud cookie here. I raise my friends well ;) :laugh:

Of course she ran into the keything issue, so got her to download 18.2 to sort that. Plain jane upgrading from 18.1 was a pain, and since I was not THERE (she is on the other side of the country, some 2.5 hours driving away) it is hard to provide support. That is basically why I don't usually tell people to just install linux, because -I- am the one who needs to provide support then ;) Next door is fine, almost next country is not so fine *giggle*

Of course wait and see if she will continue to use MX, but hey... total noob there, and she just whipped it up and ran with it! Kudos to MX for being so noob friendly :happy:
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

chrispop99
Global Moderator

Re: Friend decided to install mxlinux

#2 Post by chrispop99 »

That's the sort of user we really need to be trying MX. It would be great if she were able to give any feedback on her experience.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#3 Post by Eadwine Rose »

I'll ask her if she wants to do that. :smile:
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator

anticapitalista
Developer

#4 Post by anticapitalista »

Eadwine Rose wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:25 am ... (she is on the other side of the country, some 2.5 hours driving away)
I bet that sounds funny to our American (and not only) friends.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

Artim

#5 Post by Artim »

The thing about being a "Linux evangelist," for me at least, is to simply let people know there's an alternative to Windows and Mac, that it (usually) costs no money, is point-and-click, and extremely resistant to viruses and malware. I tell them I use it at home and on the go, that Ive done all my college coursework so far on the Linux platform with no issues and that I spent no money to do so, and that I was so impressed with my Linux distro that I donate to the project.

Most of them already know me, so they're well aware that I'm genuinely scared of technology and reluctant to try anything "techno-geeky" at all, which makes it even more striking that I would even know about Linux, much less actually have it installed and use it for everything!

Another "newbie" distro actually edits application names for their function instead of their "real names," which I think is a particularly great idea for Linux novices who wouldn't know that Thunar is a file manager, for example, so on LL it's called "Home Folder." That sort of thinking helps newbies a lot as well as the super-awesome MX toolset and best of all, these support forums!

I do NOT shout "Use Linux! Use Linux!" from the rooftops. I just use it and mention it when people at school ask about why my laptop looks so different and runs so fast, and I keep some LiveDVDs around so they can try it out for themselves. And I refer them to my blog for more into if they're interested. So yeah, I'm a "Linux Evangelist," but not one who really keeps score or tries too hard or gets preachy about it.

Repent or face the Blue Screen of Death!

But it's always great when someone finally does try it out and like it enough to install and use it. It's really not very many who do. But those that do usually become Linux evangelists themselves! I love stories like this.

chrispop99
Global Moderator

#6 Post by chrispop99 »

anticapitalista wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:33 am
Eadwine Rose wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:25 am ... (she is on the other side of the country, some 2.5 hours driving away)
Yes, indeed. In the UK, 2.5 hours might only get you 30 or 40 miles at peak times around cities!

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

Artim

#7 Post by Artim »

I would love to be able to get across my country in 2-1/2 hours! It takes that long just to get across a few counties in the same state. Not bragging about it though, I think it's amazing that countries - with different languages and cultures - can co-exist as close as they are on a single continent. I would love to visit and take the whole Euro-tour someday!

Fibogacci

#8 Post by Fibogacci »

Eadwine Rose wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:25 am
She continued: Yeah my windows stopped working, it wouldn't even boot, so, for kicks I plugged in MX and installed it, had nothing to lose anyway.
That was my scenario ;) I broke totally my Windows 7 (even administrator mode could not be run) so I installed antiX. After week I discovered MX 16. It was September 2017 and I'm still here.
Eadwine Rose wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:25 am Of course wait and see if she will continue to use MX, but hey... total noob there, and she just whipped it up and ran with it! Kudos to MX for being so noob friendly :happy:
My case with MX and phone support: my mother (76 years old, really non-technical person) is on vacation this month. She has with her an old laptop with MX-16 32bit on board (mainly for browsing Internet with Firefox). She did something probably and MX-16 couldn't boot (I'll fix it when she'll be back).

So, I prepared Live-USB with MX-18 with little remastering (updates, language loading automatically after boot and horizontal panel) and sent her by mail. I explained her on the phone how to start Live-USB with MX, how to connect to WiFi (well, there was "a problem" with Broadcom driver - b43, so I told her how to fix it (unblacklist) with MX Network Assisstant), how to log in to the network (there was additional log in through browser with login and password).

With a little patience (especially mine) it was done. She had then a list of steps what to do to start system and Firefox with Internet connection.

But even better, a few days later Broadcom drivers b43 and b44 dissapeared from MX Network Assistant Linux Drivers tab.

So I found solution here on forum and told her (still by phone) to press F4 (terminal), type: sudo modprobe b43 and then password demo and it worked.

Once again, she is non-technical person and with MX (and my little support) she managed.

I don't think there is another distribution with such possibilities and ease of use. This case is best proof.

By the way, she is using MX-16 since 2017 as well (earlier on laptop was Windows XP and it was slow).
MX-18 Continuum x86_64: laptop Dell Inspiron N7110, Intel Core i5-2410M @ 2.900GHz, 4GB RAM, Kernel: 4.19, DE: Xfce

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#9 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Yep :laugh:

We're tiny. Rub it in.

;) :laugh:

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#10 Post by Eadwine Rose »

chrispop99 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:48 am Yes, indeed. In the UK, 2.5 hours might only get you 30 or 40 miles at peak times around cities!

Chris
Trust me.. that works the same way here too. That is why we use highways when we need to go distances ;)

Return to “General”