Dropbox now limits to 3 devices

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
KBD

Re: Dropbox now limits to 3 devices

#11 Post by KBD »

richb wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:34 am I use Dropbox on exactly three devices. A desktop, laptop and phone. Probably a common usage for many people. They seem to have carefully chosen the limit.
Yes, but when you switch to a new phone, get a new laptop, or perhaps just switch to a new SSD, you will have to un-sync older devices each time you want to re-connect to Dropbox. It ads one more layer of irritation I don't need for a measly 2gb storage, and the next option is $10 a month. It may be worth it to some people, but not to me :(

richb
Administrator

#12 Post by richb »

KBD wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:03 am
richb wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:34 am I use Dropbox on exactly three devices. A desktop, laptop and phone. Probably a common usage for many people. They seem to have carefully chosen the limit.
Yes, but when you switch to a new phone, get a new laptop, or perhaps just switch to a new SSD, you will have to un-sync older devices each time you want to re-connect to Dropbox. It ads one more layer of irritation I don't need for a measly 2gb storage, and the next option is $10 a month. It may be worth it to some people, but not to me :(
Does not bother me. I have 1 Tb of storage. To each his own.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

ludolph

#13 Post by ludolph »

KBD wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:32 am I've got 117 gb storage at Google Drive from buying a Chromebook awhile back, but Google never delivered the promised Linux client.
I'll probably stick with PCloud on Linux which offers 10 free gb storage and so far has worked on Linux and Windows for me.
Try InSync for Google drive, this is probably a better client than the original Google client and even works on Linux!

KBD

#14 Post by KBD »

ludolph wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:26 pm Try InSync for Google drive, this is probably a better client than the original Google client and even works on Linux!
Thanks for the info!

Gordon Cooper

#15 Post by Gordon Cooper »

Thanks for this thread, one of my Dropbox sharers is having access problems, will try him on Mega.
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

Adrian
Developer

#16 Post by Adrian »

I made my own "cloud" storage, I have a Raspberry Pi with a harddrive connected that runs Syncthing.

manyroads

#17 Post by manyroads »

I, also, am just fine with DropBox. I have started using the free 50GB Mega as well (I'll see how that goes). I would try pCloud but 2GB is simply too tiny to be even worth a test.

My genealogy data/ resources and my collection of teaching aids for kids eat gastly amounts of space (well over 500GB). And, I really do want my data somewhere far away from my home office in the 'cloud' (I'm okay with it all being stolen since I just give the data away... security is perfectly adequate on DropBox for my needs.) ;) :bagoverhead:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

KBD

#18 Post by KBD »

manyroads wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:18 pm I, also, am just fine with DropBox. I have started using the free 50GB Mega as well (I'll see how that goes). I would try pCloud but 2GB is simply too tiny to be even worth a test.

My genealogy data/ resources and my collection of teaching aids for kids eat gastly amounts of space (well over 500GB). And, I really do want my data somewhere far away from my home office in the 'cloud' (I'm okay with it all being stolen since I just give the data away... security is perfectly adequate on DropBox for my needs.) ;) :bagoverhead:
PCloud was offering 10gb free. Have they changed the free amount of storage?

manyroads

#19 Post by manyroads »

I don't know but 50GB is about the min I can use to test a single useful dataset. :(
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Return to “General”