Solved - Stand alone computer DVD Player?

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
namida12

Solved - Stand alone computer DVD Player?

#1 Post by namida12 »

About 5 years ago, I downloaded a Linux Operating system and it only function was to load a DVD player software and it kicked out the cd, then you could insert the commercial DVD and it would play the movie...

Can't remember the software/Linux movie player name. Can anyone provide some assistance. This was a good system, no hard drive it just loaded and would play commercial DVD movies.

JR
Last edited by namida12 on Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

namida12

Re: Stand alone computer DVD Player?

#2 Post by namida12 »

GeeXboX, worked on a flash drive. Burnt a CD and it did not eject as i remembered previously. This software O/S was a great way to use an older 32 or 64 bit system - create a CD put into system with little memory, no hard drive o/s would load and eject the cd and be ready to play your commercial DVD. Newest version does not accomplish that sweet feature of freeing up DVD drive.

Distro works in a way, burn the iso to an old 1 or 2 gig flash drive sitting in the left corner in an obscure desk drawer, that way the dvd drive is free for your commercial DVD.
https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=geexbox

JR

namida12

Re: Solved - Stand alone computer DVD Player?

#3 Post by namida12 »

Yep small flash drive keeps the DVD player unit free for the numerous DVDs, my friend has in his closet. Another closet stored Windows xp system final succumbs to a Linux operating system, and the hardware lives into the future. Friend was convinced old computer would not work without a Windows O/S on the hard drive. Embarrassed I could not remember the software name for a while. Still should be a version that can be loaded via CD, and auto ejects freeing up DVD player.

JR

Stevo
Developer

Re: Solved - Stand alone computer DVD Player?

#4 Post by Stevo »

Possibly it was an older or customized Geexbox that did that.

Return to “General”