What's your experience with WINE?

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
gbhollr

Re: What's your experience with WINE?

#11 Post by gbhollr »

rc racer wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:01 pm If you are a big gamer you might like to try steam. I hear it has really improved the gaming experience for Linux users. I hope Linux works out for you. I love it
Yeah, I heard. Although some of the games I have on Steam aren't listed as Linux compatible, such as Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield (One of my biggest favourites!)

Brigs

#12 Post by Brigs »

Use wine only for google picasa.. :rolleyes: dunno why, so many picture manager in mx but i felt different with picasa especially faster for bulk rotate, crop, fix color etc.
Install manual from winetricks with solving dependecies library mscorefont, gdi+, ie7, msls31 and msxml3. Have try picasa.deb package from mint distro but they're same wine dependent.
I've done replacement photoshop with gimp since no need special plugin. only some corel file that i've using vbox with win7 minimal install inside mx.
MX18 - 4.19.0-16.1-liquorix
i7-2700K@4.3 - Z68V-Pro - RX-560 - 2x8GB D3 - 3x2TB

El-Capitan
i5-760@3.4 - P7P55D-E - XFX 6850B.E - 4x2GB D3 - 500GB

piwadam

#13 Post by piwadam »

gbhollr wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:35 pm
rc racer wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:01 pm If you are a big gamer you might like to try steam. I hear it has really improved the gaming experience for Linux users. I hope Linux works out for you. I love it
Yeah, I heard. Although some of the games I have on Steam aren't listed as Linux compatible, such as Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield (One of my biggest favourites!)

Apparently this game works in steam beta program. See and search your favorite games here:

https://www.protondb.com/app/19830

Opt in steam beta program:

https://itsfoss.com/steam-play/

oops

#14 Post by oops »

... For me WINE is a good tool but mostly as workaround, for the new Linux users coming from Windows ...useful to keep the habits of the Windows softwares ... but step by step, I using it less in less and prefer the Linux native softwares .
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

Pierre

#15 Post by Pierre »

my experience, with ./wine is that it is surprisingly bad, when running "my favorite program"
- however, having said that,, the programs that meant the most to myself, do in fact work well with the Crossover software.
the rest, and I've tested quite a lot, actually, are an mixed bunch & that's no surprise, either.

therefore, I've settled on using that Crossover Software, as it works for the programs, that I'm generally interested in using.
- - yeah - - it's Paid Software & I'm happy to use it:
- that company is an very active supporter of the ./wine project, itself.
- having to Not Buy stuff from Microsoft is saving me, some $$$ & thus I'm happy to give a little back to the World of Linux.

rc racer

#16 Post by rc racer »

gbhollr wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:35 pm
rc racer wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:01 pm

I'm not a big gamer, but if I were, having a PC set up specifically for Windows games and a Linux system set up to do personal business on for security reasons sounds good to me. Easier said than done; If you can not afford a good gaming computer.
Dell Dimension E520
Memory 4GB
1 TB Hard Drive
Graphic AMD [ AMD/ATI ] caicos pro
[ Radeon HQ7450 ] (prog-ifoo [ VGA controller ]

BV206

#17 Post by BV206 »

I only have about 6 Windows programs that have no possible Linux alternatives.
One program has several toolbar icons that don't display (only shows a blank button but the buttons work), two programs have fonts that don't render properly but otherwise they all function the same as they did on Windows 7.
One program requires .NET 4.0 and after I figured out how to install that using Winetricks it works the same as on Windows 7.
The others all work ok and I can't tell the difference between running them on Windows 7 and WINE except they might be a little slower.

deanr72

#18 Post by deanr72 »

I'm a relative newbie to Linux (about 15 months, mostly on Mint Cinnamon) but when I was asked to used MS Word specifically for a project and tried Wine it was a complete disaster. Maybe I was doing something wrong but I couldn't get it to work reliably at all. The word docs would open but I couldn't save anything and almost all functionality was lost. I eventually gave up and used WPS office instead and nobody knew any the wiser ;-)

Stevo
Developer

#19 Post by Stevo »

Space Engine and Balaboka work well in Wine for me. Linux really doesn't have anything like those two programs, unfortunately.

fehlix
Developer

#20 Post by fehlix »

Teamviewer 12 (Version 12) one of the best remote support tools is a wine-application. The newer Teamviewer version13 is pure Linux implementation, which I tried a couple of times, but being back using to teamviewer12, if I cannot use AnyDesk (pure linux).
PDF-Viewer and PDF-Exchange Editor seems also to work very well in wine. OK, not really using it much since we have MasterPDF.
OK IrfanView was already mentioned. TotalCommander .. just for fun, not really needed in Linux, but for me very helpful on the other OS to give quick support for those Dual-Booter's....
:puppy:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Return to “General”