The new computer build

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
Eadwine Rose
Administrator

The new computer build

#1 Post by Eadwine Rose »

The case has been purchased. It happens to be the same one as my late mate had, just a different main color (his was green). It fits all my specs, USB in the front, three slots for removable stuff, and it fits all motherboards, so that is good. :happy:

And to see that it was getting close to being sold out.. nuh uh.. not going to let that happen to me, ohhh heck no. So.. it turned out to be a quicky. Whambamthankyoumam :laugh:

It's the Sharkoon VG4-W. :smile:

Other parts will be purchased over time, at least the base is going to be here soon.
case.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-18-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

richb
Administrator

Re: The new computer build

#2 Post by richb »

And it looks good!
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

manyroads

#3 Post by manyroads »

Do you need to wear a racing helmet when you run it???? :eek: :car:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#4 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Rich: Thanks!!

Manyroads: Hahaha.. nah.. just have to duck a little to stay behind the windscreen ;)
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-18-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator

Stevo
Developer

#5 Post by Stevo »

I wonder if there are any Linux apps to control the fan LEDs...

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#6 Post by JayM »

I don't know why see-through cases with LEDs all over the place inside are so popular. I live in a small studio and sometimes need to let the computer run overnight to do backups, and all of that illuminated bling would disturb my sleep. But to each his/her own.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#7 Post by Eadwine Rose »

it seems you're saying I got this for the lights, I did not. There are people who do not have the computer in the same room. Also, they are not "so popular" here. This case just happened to have the best specs matching what I want for the price. You can turn the blue off and all if you don't want it.

asqwerth
Developer

#8 Post by asqwerth »

Very fancy looking. All those cut-outs and ledges though.... dust collectors! ;)
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#9 Post by JayM »

Eadwine Rose wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:45 pm it seems you're saying I got this for the lights, I did not. There are people who do not have the computer in the same room. Also, they are not "so popular" here. This case just happened to have the best specs matching what I want for the price. You can turn the blue off and all if you don't want it.
No, I was just saying that in general, at least here in SE Asia and perhaps all over as far as I know, cases that have clear sides and a lot of LEDs on the fans, and CPU cooling fans that have LEDs, and so on, all seem to be in higher demand (and sell for higher prices) than those that don't come with a light show, especially for high-spec gaming PCs and I don't understand why people seem to prefer that. It was just a generic remark about computer cases, it wasn't directed specifically at you. I was just being a curmudgeon as usual. As long as the lights can be turned off then I guess I wouldn't mind having one, not that I need a new case. I also (more curmudgeonliness) don't really care what my computer's case looks like as long as all the front USB ports, LEDs and switches work, I'm more interested in what's under the hood so to speak, but that's just me. Function over form. I didn't mean to dis your new case.

One thing I do like on looking at the picture again is that large grille in the front with a fan in it. Perfect for providing more ventilation and airflow for all the components. If I had such a case here in the tropics I wouldn't have to be as concerned about (over)heating.

So, are you planning to buy the motherboard, CPU, GPU and RAM piecemeal when you can get a good price then build your own system? That's one thing I've never done, assembled my own PC or replaced my own motherboard, though I've done just about everything else to them. At my age and with my vision I don't think I'd want to do anything more than maybe reseating or swapping out memory modules or adding a case fan, simple things like that, otherwise building a system sounds like fun.

{Hmm, I wonder. Maybe take a case like yours with all the bling, strip the paint, pour water or beer all over it and rub on some coarse salt then let it develop a layer of surface rust or "patina" as some people call it. Slap on some stickers and other junk then clear-coat the whole thing and put a high-spec mobo, CPU, PS and RAM in it, like a rat rod computer. I wonder if it would sell? Can computer cases be chopped and channeled?)
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

richb
Administrator

#10 Post by richb »

When I built my system I replaced the case fan with a "blue" fan and added another "blue" fan. I like 'em.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Return to “General”