The new computer build

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
Eadwine Rose
Administrator

Re: The new computer build

#151 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Alrighty, reading around a bit I am pretty sure I will switch and get the Sapphire Radeon RX 580 as suggested earlier in this thread.
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#152 Post by Eadwine Rose »

There we go.. all the parts have been ordered.

What did I end up with, what did I in fact order ;)

- Corsair HX Series HX1000 — 1000 Watt 80 PLUS® PLATINUM Certified Fully Modular PSU (EU)
- Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming
- AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Wraith MAX boxed
- Kingston HyperX Predator HX426C13PB3K2/32 (32GB as 2x 16GB)
- ASUS Cerberus GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Advanced Edition 4GB GDDR5

If all goes well everything should arrive tomorrow.. building will be somewhere next week then :)
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator

AK-47
Developer

#153 Post by AK-47 »

Nice choice for the PSU. 80 Plus Platinum is the way to go, especially since you picked one with a high wattage rating, so it's reasonably efficient even at small loads (what the "80 Plus" means).
What are you getting for storage? Plan on using the built-in M.2 slot?

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#154 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Scratch the build for next week.. the PSU won't be delivered until the 30th. Ah well.. I got a super deal for it so not complaining ;)

Thanks! Yeah.. once I started eliminating I ended up with all Corsairs, and then looked up what all those codings were because I was seeing bronze silver gold.. blahblah. Quickly enough realized that Platinum was the way to go.

I have the Samsung 860 EVOs already up and running in a nice rack (4 of them will fit in a 5.25 bay). The rack will move over to the new system, I only connected it to this 'puter to make sure things were working and not broken.

Figuring out the PSU was the hardest part of the journey.. emotionally as well. I am still a girl after all hahaha.

Trust me I was bawling yesterday evening because I got so frustrated not knowing what it all meant. My dear mate who died over 3 years ago wasn't there to answer my questions, I was left to figure things out myself. I managed.. one bleeder at a time, so to speak. Learned what the connectors were for, stuck my head in this computer's case to inspect things and had oooo and ahaa moments.

The moment I felt myself turning into a geek was when I got all giddy reading this bit:

"CORSAIR modular power supplies have amazing versatility. Not only can users choose to install only the cables they need, but they can add new cables with different connector configurations or customize the appearance of their PC with different color combinations."

:laugh:

Glad that all the looking and comparing and what not is over with!!

AK-47
Developer

#155 Post by AK-47 »

Eadwine Rose wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 11:29 amThanks! Yeah.. once I started eliminating I ended up with all Corsairs, and then looked up what all those codings were because I was seeing bronze silver gold.. blahblah. Quickly enough realized that Platinum was the way to go.
Going against traditional materials used in the human bling industry, the best one is actually 80 Plus Titanium (requires 90% efficiency at 10% rating IIRC), which I've never seen on a consumer ATX PSU.
Eadwine Rose wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 11:29 amI have the Samsung 860 EVOs already up and running in a nice rack (4 of them will fit in a 5.25 bay). The rack will move over to the new system, I only connected it to this 'puter to make sure things were working and not broken.
That's quite a lot of flash. I have some 850 PROs and they've been pretty solid so far but I've only had them for 3-4 years.
Eadwine Rose wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 11:29 amFiguring out the PSU was the hardest part of the journey.. emotionally as well. I am still a girl after all hahaha.

Trust me I was bawling yesterday evening because I got so frustrated not knowing what it all meant. My dear mate who died over 3 years ago wasn't there to answer my questions, I was left to figure things out myself. I managed.. one bleeder at a time, so to speak. Learned what the connectors were for, stuck my head in this computer's case to inspect things and had oooo and ahaa moments.
Sorry to hear about your mate. :frown: I know it's hard not having that kind of support, but at least you got there without electric shocks and unintended fireworks displays (unlike me). It's amazing what you can learn when forced to do it by yourself.
Eadwine Rose wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 11:29 amThe moment I felt myself turning into a geek was when I got all giddy reading this bit:

"CORSAIR modular power supplies have amazing versatility. Not only can users choose to install only the cables they need, but they can add new cables with different connector configurations or customize the appearance of their PC with different color combinations."
Whoever invented the modular PSU for computers had the right idea. Better than having to use adaptors and splitters all over the place and still be left with 10 free connectors that will never be used, and end up making Medusa jealous.
Eadwine Rose wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 11:29 amGlad that all the looking and comparing and what not is over with!!
Now you just have to work out what operating system you're going to use. :happy:

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#156 Post by JayM »

AK-47 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 5:37 am Now you just have to work out what operating system you're going to use. :happy:
OOH! OOH! I KNOW! I KNOW!

*drum roll*

Ubuntu! It has systemd and everything!

(I'll just see myself out.)
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#157 Post by Eadwine Rose »

AK-47 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 5:37 am
Eadwine Rose wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 11:29 amThanks! Yeah.. once I started eliminating I ended up with all Corsairs, and then looked up what all those codings were because I was seeing bronze silver gold.. blahblah. Quickly enough realized that Platinum was the way to go.
Going against traditional materials used in the human bling industry, the best one is actually 80 Plus Titanium (requires 90% efficiency at 10% rating IIRC), which I've never seen on a consumer ATX PSU.
Correct. They weren't available.

Sorry to hear about your mate. :frown: I know it's hard not having that kind of support, but at least you got there without electric shocks and unintended fireworks displays (unlike me). It's amazing what you can learn when forced to do it by yourself.
Well.. I haven't assembled anything yet, so I have not had electric shock fears or the likes ;)

And I have learned pretty much everything by myself. Even did my own tiling in the backyard *giggle*

Whoever invented the modular PSU for computers had the right idea. Better than having to use adaptors and splitters all over the place and still be left with 10 free connectors that will never be used, and end up making Medusa jealous.
My current system would, yes haha

Eadwine Rose wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 11:29 amGlad that all the looking and comparing and what not is over with!!
Now you just have to work out what operating system you're going to use. :happy:
[/quote]
Easy, main is MX18 and the other is Win10.

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#158 Post by Eadwine Rose »

JayM wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 7:30 am
AK-47 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 5:37 am Now you just have to work out what operating system you're going to use. :happy:
OOH! OOH! I KNOW! I KNOW!

*drum roll*

:laugh: Don't forget your sammiches and I will see you at dinner time ;)

AK-47
Developer

#159 Post by AK-47 »

JayM wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 7:30 amOOH! OOH! I KNOW! I KNOW!

*drum roll*

What the heck is a buntu? Doesn't anyone use MS-DOS anymore? :happy:
Eadwine Rose wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 9:14 amWell.. I haven't assembled anything yet, so I have not had electric shock fears or the likes ;)

And I have learned pretty much everything by myself. Even did my own tiling in the backyard *giggle*
You should be safe if you're not doing anything dramatic like pulling the PSU apart. A couple of years ago I was repairing a UPS and I got the whole hog, an electric shock and a fireworks display all in one.
:lion:

Oh, pro tip when building your PC: be sure to have some electrostatic discharge protection measure. Either a wristband or touching something that's earthed.
I like to get the case earthed first, by first attaching the PSU to the case, turn the switches on the socket and at back of the PSU both OFF, and connect the PSU into the mains. No need to turn anything on, because the earth is always connected even if the switches are both off.
Touching the case just before you begin, and also at regular intervals, will help protect all that silicon from electrostatic discharge.
Once the motherboard, components, cards, SSDs, etc are installed, then move on to the PSU and wiring. It probably takes a bit of extra time, but well worth it if you want to protect your investment.

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#160 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Yeps, I know. I have built two computers before this one. Both under guidance of my mate. First we built mine (the one in the siggie) back in 2010, and five years later we did it again, but with his new system. He couldn't see very well but he trusted me to assemble it for him with him telling me what to do. Something that was very special, as he was very protective of the thing. It was a beast alright. Back then anyway. I think my new system outshines that one now by at least a mile. ;)

Right now I think his computer needs a MASSIVE cleaning as it won't even keep running unless the case is open. Anyway.. yeah.. something for another time (the system is with his GF now). I told her: one bleeder at a time. If it runs fine with the case open, leave it open and we can check what is going on later. I am her geek now... sure is something.. but she knows even less than I do haha so I can see where she is coming from.

When I called her all upset and the likes she told me: I know it will be alright and you will be able to figure it out to get what fits your system. How do you know, I asked her. Her reply: because YOU are doing this!
People around me have more faith in me than I do in myself! :laugh:

Return to “General”