How have you encrypted a Windows/MX Linux dual-boot PC?

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
BitJam
Developer

Re: How have you encrypted a Windows/MX Linux dual-boot PC?

#21 Post by BitJam »

gbhollr wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:17 pm Okay, but when I install MX Linux again from scratch, how do I install the GRUB into the PBR?
If you check my screenshots again, I could only choose the MBR to install GRUB in.
This screenshot show how you can select to install Grub to the root partition PBR.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

gbhollr

#22 Post by gbhollr »

BitJam wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:02 pm
gbhollr wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:17 pm Okay, but when I install MX Linux again from scratch, how do I install the GRUB into the PBR?
If you check my screenshots again, I could only choose the MBR to install GRUB in.
This screenshot show how you can select to install Grub to the root partition PBR.
Thanks but you check one of my screenshots download/file.php?id=14471&mode=view,
the ESP checkbox was greyed out.

fehlix
Developer

#23 Post by fehlix »

As this is for BIOS-booting: PBR means partition boot record of the the partition you have installed grub into.
If you cannot select from the installer the boot partition - guess what : that looks like a bug in the installer.
As the boot partition is not encrypted, hence shall be free usable for PBR grub-install to install into.
I'll need to check the commandline alternative ...
:puppy:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

fehlix
Developer

#24 Post by fehlix »

fehlix wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:21 pm I'll need to check the commandline alternative ...
OK: Open a terminal from booted encrypted MX -Linux
and run

Code: Select all

sudo grub-install --force /dev/sda5
to install grub into the PBR of /dev/sda5 , which is your /boot partition , currently mounted under /boot
That shall do it.
NOTE: With this command you have now in addition to currently on the MBR also on the PBR of sda5 a grub-record installed and you can boot into e.g. from VeraCrypt boot-menu or also from another rescue stick via chainloading ...
:puppy:

gbhollr

#25 Post by gbhollr »

Thanks fehlix.
I will get to work on this sometime this weekend.

fehlix
Developer

#26 Post by fehlix »

gbhollr wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:37 pm Thanks fehlix.
I will get to work on this sometime this weekend.
It depends also whether you have installed first encrypted with veracrypt.
Probaly also good to have a verycrypt rescue media ready.
I would probably also combine the idea of the grub-resuce iso with this modification:
After you have install encrypted MX Linux you do this with the running MX Live

mkdir -p /tmp/my-grub-rescue/boot/grub
Now you copy from /boot partition /dev/sda5 /boot/grub/grub.cfg:
like this
copy from /dev/sda5 the file /dev/sda5@/boot/grub/grub.cfg
to /tmp/my-grub-rescue/boot/grub/grub.cfg
and now create the rescue iso

grub-mkrescue -o my-grub-rescue.iso /tmp/my-grub-rescue
Now have another USB stick ready and plugin and run:

sudo dd-live-usb -f my-grub-rescue.iso
With the generated USB stick, you can boot into encrypted MX Linux.

Adrian
Developer

#27 Post by Adrian »

I disabled installing on root on encrypted root. Is it possible/good idea to install GRUB on root if root is encrypted?

fehlix
Developer

#28 Post by fehlix »

Adrian wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:34 pm I disabled installing on root on encrypted root. Is it possible/good idea to install GRUB on root if root is encrypted?
Not "/"-root but PBR of /boot -partition to install grub to is required to get the above scenario seamlessly working.

gbhollr

#29 Post by gbhollr »

I'm going to try it all over again now.
This time, I made only ONE partition for Windows.

Last time, I made a second one for Linux while installing Windows and VeraCrypt clearly encrypted both at once.

In my laptop, I have two spare partitions for a possible Linux installation so I gotta delete them before I consider encrypting my Windows.
If I were to live boot Linux and delete those partitions in GParted, would it have any adverse effect on the partition containing my Windows OS and file system?

Thanks.

gbhollr

#30 Post by gbhollr »

Well, yesterday I tried it again.

One time I did it exactly as before but I didn't install GRUB at all so I could try and just install in it the PBR via the command line method you showed me.
But it wouldn't work in a live boot.

I tried again, installed GRUB in both the MBR and PBR sectors.
However the encrypted Windows installation was still broken.

I think I'll try again by installing Windows, don't encrypt it yet, then install Linux encrypted and go back to Windows to encrypt its partition, using VeraCrypt's "multiboot" option.

Return to “General”