Headed for a Chrome only web

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
KBD

Headed for a Chrome only web

#1 Post by KBD »

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/03 ... noculture/

I use Chrome, but it worries me we are going back towards the old "Internet Explorer only" days.

deanr72

Re: Headed for a Chrome only web

#2 Post by deanr72 »

The company I work for uses some kind of 'Skype-like' video conferencing system and I was told it only works on Google Chrome. Whenever there have been issues I've told my interlocutor to switch to Chrome and everything has been fine. And then I had problems with Chrome - in desperation mid-call I switched to Firefox and it worked. The next day I tried Chromium.

I've since switched to Chromium for all my work and browsing - Firefox for Netflix.

Sparky

#3 Post by Sparky »

Google is trying to take over the net. There old motto "Do no Harm" is far and far behind. They keep getting slapped bu EU fines, I dont think they care.
MX Linux Asus F552, 12GB RAM, 500GB WD SSD MX19.2
Dell Inspiron 7559 16GB RAM 1X 256GB SSD & 1TB SSD MX KDE 21.1 & Windows 11
Mini Tower PC 2X 256GB SSD MX KDE21.1

timkb4cq
Developer

#4 Post by timkb4cq »

Like Microsoft of old, fines will make no difference to Google until they reach a significant percentage of revenue. Until then, they're just another "cost of operations".
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

KBD

#5 Post by KBD »

The only thing Google fears is getting broken up. Which is probably what needs to happen. Ever really try to get free of Google? If you use Android you can forget it.

Sparky

#6 Post by Sparky »

KBD wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:09 pm The only thing Google fears is getting broken up. Which is probably what needs to happen. Ever really try to get free of Google? If you use Android you can forget it.
Exactly, and they know the day is coming under monopoly laws around the world. That why they created 'alphabet' the parent company.

figueroa

#7 Post by figueroa »

Don't use Chrome. I use Vivaldi for one thing, and Firefox for everything else. Pass it on. ;-)
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

Sparky

#8 Post by Sparky »

FireFox rocks!

thomasl

#9 Post by thomasl »

KBD wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:09 pmThe only thing Google fears is getting broken up. Which is probably what needs to happen. Ever really try to get free of Google? If you use Android you can forget it.
I don't think that's true. I only buy tablets and smartphones where I can replace the manufacturer's version of Android with an official Lineage OS version sans any of the Google apps. Lineage is based on Google code, true, but it is completely open source and you don't need to install anything on it that is closed-source Google stuff. In fact, most software I install on these devices comes from an alternative repo called F-Droid. Only open source there. An added advantage is that the devices often run smoother w/o all the bloatware.

An objection sometimes heard, that Lineage works only on expensive hardware, is wrong. A while ago I have given my in-laws a new G4Play with Lineage installed, total cost less than £85.
Frugal installs on Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Ryzen 5 4650U/24GB * HP Pavilion Ryzen 3 3300U/16GB * Toshiba R950 i5-3340M/12GB
I have a reservation... What do you mean it's not in the COMPUTER!

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#10 Post by JayM »

Here's a very interesting article written by Gabriel Weinberg, the CEO and founder of DuckDuckGo, about how his search engine makes a profit without tracking and "monetizing" your user data and online activity, with information about how Google (and Facebook too) does it instead:

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-reven ... s/67404040
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Return to “General”