The Best Linux Distros for Laptops in 2019

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
stevedude

The Best Linux Distros for Laptops in 2019

#1 Post by stevedude »

Some more love for MX Linux: https://www.fossmint.com/best-linux-dis ... s-in-2019/

I run a desktop, but I've read other articles where MX Linux installs well on both old or new laptops.
OS:MX-19.2_x64|Kernel:4.15.0-1-amd64 x86_64|Xfce 4.14.2|Mobo:TUF X470-PLUS|CPU AMD Ryzen 5, 2600 MHz
Graphics:GeForce GTX 1060,driver:nvidia v:390.77|Audio:NVIDIA snd_hda_intel
Netwrk:Realtek RTL8111|Seagate:ST2000DM006, 1.82 TB|Mem:15.6 GB

nixy

Re: The Best Linux Distros for Laptops in 2019

#2 Post by nixy »

I'm using MX on desktop and on an rather old laptop. Runs like a dream on both platforms.

rc racer

#3 Post by rc racer »

nixy wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:18 pm I'm using MX on desktop and on an rather old laptop. Runs like a dream on both platforms.

MX works well on my old Desktop PC and on my newer laptop as well. I went to a Duel boot with MX and Linux Mint on my desktop but I mainly use MX. I completely went with MX on both my Laptops. This distro has been solid and stable so far. Just curious to know have you tried other Distros before MX?
Dell Dimension E520
Memory 4GB
1 TB Hard Drive
Graphic AMD [ AMD/ATI ] caicos pro
[ Radeon HQ7450 ] (prog-ifoo [ VGA controller ]

Jerry3904
Administrator

#4 Post by Jerry3904 »

Don't want to burst bubbles or sound mean, but if you read the article carefully the author only lists MX first b/c of its DistroWatch listing, has evidently no knowledge of it, and actually thinks Deepin is the best.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

dphn

#5 Post by dphn »

+1 in this reason for deepin. I will give it a try. deepin is more leigthweight since version 15.7. Only a few apps and their own DDE stuff pre-installed. Actual version 15.9 looks very clean and the system has an improved touchscreen support. There is no live iso availabe but only the grub entry for that is missing. You can start installation and press STRG+ALT+F2 to open a tty and type startx to run the live system.
for those with an eye for the finer details...

stevedude

#6 Post by stevedude »

Jerry3904 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:51 pm Don't want to burst bubbles or sound mean, but if you read the article carefully the author only lists MX first b/c of its DistroWatch listing, has evidently no knowledge of it, and actually thinks Deepin is the best.
Agreed. It's nice though to hear more conversations about MX Linux because it gets the word out there for others.

I actually like the look of Deepin, used it for a couple of years, but for some reason, it just never ran well on my machine (prior to the one I have now). Always had issues with USB notifications and mounting. DDE keep bleeding memory so I gave up on it. Even tried the Manjaro version of Deepin, which was better, but still had issues. MX Linux on the other hand has been running extremely well for me. It ran so well on my prior machine that when I bought the one I have now, I didn't hesitate to install it on this one and have not looked back. Very pleased with MX and am in conversations now with a friend of mine to install MX on his old laptop since he wants to move from Ubuntu.
OS:MX-19.2_x64|Kernel:4.15.0-1-amd64 x86_64|Xfce 4.14.2|Mobo:TUF X470-PLUS|CPU AMD Ryzen 5, 2600 MHz
Graphics:GeForce GTX 1060,driver:nvidia v:390.77|Audio:NVIDIA snd_hda_intel
Netwrk:Realtek RTL8111|Seagate:ST2000DM006, 1.82 TB|Mem:15.6 GB

deanr72

#7 Post by deanr72 »

On my Lenovo ideapad S210 (4gb ram) I've gone from Mint Cinnamon (generally fine but clogged whenever I had a couple of browser windows open at the same time as libreOffice or WPS) to Mint Mate then Manjaro Mate (the former was a little better but found Caja slow when copying to multiple files, the latter was lovely for about a week then just 'broke' for some unknown reason) to MX Linux - haven't done any real work on the lappy yet but seems snappy in all other respects thus far.

olad

#8 Post by olad »

It is not for nothing that MX Linux (MXL) has risen - at least on Distrowatch, from nowhere in 2014 to No 2, and still rising! I stumbled on it because I was distro-hopping, but it installed so quickly and had these little things that made using it just a bit better (e.g. the MX Package Installer), and was so snappy, I kept it. That was from MX-Linux 17. I have now removed all other distros. Yes! (I removed Manjaro, Mint, Deepin, Arco, etc.), and I am content with just this one... But something bugs me. What makes a distro lightweight, or middleweight (as some say MXL 18 is), or heavyweight? Is it the amount of resources used? or something else? Because the connotation is that the heavyweights are better than the others. I won't be unhappy if I never see another another KDE or Gnome distro again. It would be great if there was another source to monitor the ACTUAL usage of distros. I don't know any. But Mxl has my vote any day for the best distro in 2019.

Stevo
Developer

#9 Post by Stevo »

Well, as machines keep getting faster, many will consider MX lightweight, like Diedo with MX running fine on a ten year old Atom netbook.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#10 Post by Jerry3904 »

I started the use of "midweight" as a descriptor when I was doing the earliest web site with peregrine. I based that term on real data, which you can see by clicking on the word at the top of mxlinux.org
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Return to “General”