New User

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
FLDave07

New User

#1 Post by FLDave07 »

Hello everybody. I installed MX18 a couple of days ago coming from Windows 10. I've used Linux a little in the past with Mint and SUSE. Installing MX18 has been a good experience. While I am working on Network+ I decided to change my old Intel NUC over to Linux. I looked at a lot of reviews on UTube and decided on MX. I have been impressed so far. My Celeron CPU has maxed out while installing software and creating snapshots takes a long time but I can live with that. My wireless Logitech trackball was detected but not working. I think I have found something I can get it working though. Next I want to use a snapshot to set up another old AMD PC and see how VirtualBox works on here. Theres a lot of info on this board that will answer most of my questions. Just wanted to say I am impressed with MX18.

David Moore
Intel NUC Celeron 7573MB M2, N3050 dual core, HDMI Intel HD400 graphics, bluetooth, wifi, SSD. (MX 18)

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: New User

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle »

Greetings!
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

manyroads

#3 Post by manyroads »

David, :welcome:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Buck Fankers

#4 Post by Buck Fankers »

FLDave07 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:09 pm Just wanted to say I am impressed with MX18
I was going to say this, but you beat me to it. Oh well... :tongue:

Welcome!

turtlebay777

#5 Post by turtlebay777 »

+ 1
Hiya David. Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux and especially MX Linux.

Y'know, the first thing I noticed about Linux when I first switched to it from Windows, was there's no need to do any of the housekeeping duties I was so used to wasting my time on with Windows. No antivirus to keep checking, no need for malware scans, none of the sanity checks and looking for driver updates that takes up so much time with them!

Artim

#6 Post by Artim »

Welcome!

Not only is MX the bestest, most wonderfulest and awesomeful Linux distro in the history of ever, but this community is very supportive of responsible newbies (and technophobes like me). You will learn about Linux in spite of yourself, and if you make a mistake (like I did yesterday, omygosh, horrific), restoring your entire system is effortless with a Snapshot iso.

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#7 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Welcome!

For the trackball.. go into the mouse and touchpad settings, then make sure in the dropdown right under the tabs the correct device is selected and enabled.

(yeah I was that stupid when I got my logitech ergo... :laugh:)
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

FLDave07

#8 Post by FLDave07 »

Thanks! I installed MX on another old PC so I will have plenty to play with.
Intel NUC Celeron 7573MB M2, N3050 dual core, HDMI Intel HD400 graphics, bluetooth, wifi, SSD. (MX 18)

thomasl

#9 Post by thomasl »

turtlebay777 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:27 pmY'know, the first thing I noticed about Linux when I first switched to it from Windows, was there's no need to do any of the housekeeping duties I was so used to wasting my time on with Windows. No antivirus to keep checking, no need for malware scans, none of the sanity checks and looking for driver updates that takes up so much time with them!
Well... actually I beg to differ. I never had any anti-virus product installed in any Windows version I've ever used (I have in over 25 years received two (yes, 2) emails with a virus in them and software that I install is thoroughly vetted before installation). I once used an offline malware scanning utility, more for edification than because I thought I needed it . I am not sure what you mean with sanity checks and as to drivers, once I have the system up and running there's very little in the way of driver updating (mostly BIOS). It helps that I do not have the newest and fastest and bestest systems so drivers tend to be quite stable as and when I install them.

I mostly continue in Linux exactly as I did in Windows. If anything, setting up an application-level firewall (which is one of the protective measures I do think necessary) was slightly more work in Linux than in Windows.

And of course, Welcome Dave!
Frugal installs on Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Ryzen 5 4650U/24GB * HP Pavilion Ryzen 3 3300U/16GB * Toshiba R950 i5-3340M/12GB
I have a reservation... What do you mean it's not in the COMPUTER!

ghostdawg

#10 Post by ghostdawg »

Sorry I posted as new user in wrong thread.
Last edited by ghostdawg on Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General”