Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

Spying Browsers?

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
Buck Fankers

Re: Spying Browsers?

#41 Post by Buck Fankers »

Never mind. Works after restart. :-)
(you would think i would've learn by now, computers generally likes to be restarted)

v3g4n

#42 Post by v3g4n »

Maybe you missed this step?

Code: Select all

service procps restart
Glad it's working for you now either way. ;)

The reason you were having trouble with the command is because if should have had "echo" in it like so.

sudo echo kernel.unprivileged_userns_clone=1 > /etc/sysctl.d/00-local-userns.conf

Buck Fankers

#43 Post by Buck Fankers »

v3g4n wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:43 am Maybe you missed this step?

service procps restart
Glad it's working for you now either way. ;)

The reason you were having trouble with the command is because if should have had "echo" in it like so.

sudo echo kernel.unprivileged_userns_clone=1 > /etc/sysctl.d/00-local-userns.conf
Thanks for explanation! :happy:

v3g4n

#44 Post by v3g4n »

:rock: :rock:

figueroa

#45 Post by figueroa »

Re: the popularity of Iridium-browser. According to it's website, Calling home to Google still happens.
https://iridiumbrowser.de/
Look under Privacy (Padlock) item.

Someday, Google is going to use the call home feature and disable your browser. That's what they did to the 32 bit installs of Chrome last year.

ADDED: Lately I've been experimenting with NetSurf, using version 3.8 under Gentoo. So far, I'm liking what I'm seeing.
Last edited by figueroa on Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

v3g4n

#46 Post by v3g4n »

I've personally moved to Brave for my Chromium/Google based browsers since I believe there will be a bigger user base watching the privacy concernes compared to little projects such as Iridium.

While thats said, I don't think anything can compare to Firefox's configurability and privacy settings. It's no wonder that Tails and Tor Browser use Firefox as it's base browser.

handy

#48 Post by handy »

@philotux, thanks for the links. Ugly stuff!
1_MSI: MAG B560 TORP', i5, RAM 16GB, GTX 1070 Ti 12GB, M2 238GB + USB, MX-23 Fb to Openbox
2_Lenovo: Ideapad 520S, i5, RAM 8GB, GPU i620, HDD 1TB, MX-21 - Openbox
3_Clevo: P150SM-A, i7, RAM 16GB, nVidia 8600, 2x 1TB HDD & M.2 256 GB, MX-21 - Openbox

manyroads

#49 Post by manyroads »

There are a couple of FF plugins available to help with the serviceworker(s) see: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... src=search
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Captain Brillo

#50 Post by Captain Brillo »

Using the posts here, I got Iridium up and running.
Seems pretty fast... for now.
Now my ignorance is showing:
So what does it mean,
Someday, Google is going to use the call home feature and disable your browser.
Exactly that? Is that a security hole? Are any Chromium browsers safe from it if it is?
GAFA-free zone

Return to “General”