Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

MX Linux gains distrowatch "Major" Linux distribution status

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
skidoo

MX Linux gains distrowatch "Major" Linux distribution status

#1 Post by skidoo »

ChrisUK
Qualified MX Guide

Re: MX Linux gains distrowatch "Major" Linux distribution status

#2 Post by ChrisUK »

I'm pleased to see Mepis and Antix getting a mention too.

(I wasn't sure about the "Major" tag, but considering Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu which is based on Debian.. I see no reason for MX not to be in the same group/category)
Chris

MX 18 MX 19 - Manjaro

skidoo

#3 Post by skidoo »

On that page CentOS is also derivative (vs independent) but it does fit the "generally considered as most widely-used (directly or indirectly) by Linux users around the world" grouping.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#4 Post by dolphin_oracle »

The description looks good.

I actually voted for gentoo in the comments, and other in the poll. This all makes me slightly nervous.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

manyroads

#5 Post by manyroads »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:52 pm The description looks good.

I actually voted for gentoo in the comments, and other in the poll. This all makes me slightly nervous.
It should be something we all are attentive to... :police:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Jerry3904
Administrator

#6 Post by Jerry3904 »

I guess it's a good thing, but agreed with anti's comment in the other thread that MX is not a "major" distro in the same way that gentoo, debian, fedora, etc. are.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

asqwerth
Developer

#7 Post by asqwerth »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:52 pm The description looks good.

I didn't vote.

And I don't really see MX as a "major" distro. That's just weird. Being a generally-respected distro per se does not equate "major", esp if we don't have the sort of numbers (of users) that the other majors have. It's not a "reference" distro, IMO.

But MX (via Mepis and antiX) does have an unusually rich heritage and bona fides even if MX itself is just a few years old. SO there is that.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Adrian
Developer

#8 Post by Adrian »

I agree with asqwerth and other people here. Debian is major, Arch is major, Red Hat/Fedora is major, the rest are pretty much derivatives, if you don't have your own repo from where most of the packages come you are not major that would be my definition. But I'm glad that this way MX is promoted a bit and more people will find about it -- not that we need to grow, but it's a pity to remain obscure, you see people asking "what Linux distribution should I use for a Live USB with persistency?" and so on and almost nobody mentions antiX or MX when they should be considered the King and Queen of Live USBs.

manyroads

#9 Post by manyroads »

I think with the MX & antiX repos and overall management of the 'twin' distros, we are certainly as Major as manjaro, mint and a few of the others are.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Adrian
Developer

#10 Post by Adrian »

manyroads wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:23 pm I think with the MX & antiX repos and overall management of the 'twin' distros, we are certainly as Major as manjaro, mint and a few of the others are.
I don't see Manjaro or Mind as major distributions either, but maybe I'm misinformed about what they do.

Return to “General”