Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

MX Linux gains distrowatch "Major" Linux distribution status

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
manyroads

Re: MX Linux gains distrowatch "Major" Linux distribution status

#11 Post by manyroads »

Adrian wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:24 pm
manyroads wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:23 pm I think with the MX & antiX repos and overall management of the 'twin' distros, we are certainly as Major as manjaro, mint and a few of the others are.
I don't see Manjaro or Mind as major distributions either, but maybe I'm misinformed about what they do.
I think we're in full agreement @Adrian. The problem is there seems to be no definition for "major". I guess it's a mix of major interest and/or a base from which other distros are derived. But who knows??? :bagoverhead:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

richb
Administrator

#12 Post by richb »

I suspect "major" for Distrowatch and those who follow it is how many hits a distro gets. And as has been said many times by many people, that is not a significant measure.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

buster

#13 Post by buster »

The term 'major' causes the problems. But I also agree with others that Mint and Manjaro are no different in their situation from MX. I suggest we sit quietly and don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

timkb4cq
Developer

#14 Post by timkb4cq »

Major Distributions: Debian, Red Hat/Fedora, Suse, Gentoo, Arch, Slackware.
Nearly all the other distros lead back to - and rely on - one of those. We're good, but we're not Debian.

But buster's right, don't look a gift horse in the mouth.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

Richard

#15 Post by Richard »

Just say, thank you.

The interesting times come later.
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

dphn

#16 Post by dphn »

timkb4cq wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:24 pm Major Distributions: Debian, Red Hat/Fedora, Suse, Gentoo, Arch, Slackware.
Nearly all the other distros lead back to - and rely on - one of those. We're good, but we're not Debian.

But buster's right, don't look a gift horse in the mouth.
MX makes Debian usable for beginners. The maintainers of the big Major distributions could do some more for beginners, but they are not interesting in this.

Distributions like ubuntu, mint and MX jump in this gap. They are userfriendly and more complete than the "Majors" itself.
for those with an eye for the finer details...

rc racer

#17 Post by rc racer »

Adrian wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:24 pm
manyroads wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:23 pm I think with the MX & antiX repos and overall management of the 'twin' distros, we are certainly as Major as manjaro, mint and a few of the others are.
I don't see Manjaro or Mind as major distributions either, but maybe I'm misinformed about what they do.
What makes a distribution a "major distribution?" is it defined only by the number of users using it or are there other variables involved. I get confused when it comes to the different ways I see the Linux distributions get ranked.
Dell Dimension E520
Memory 4GB
1 TB Hard Drive
Graphic AMD [ AMD/ATI ] caicos pro
[ Radeon HQ7450 ] (prog-ifoo [ VGA controller ]

Eggnog

#18 Post by Eggnog »

I'm not sure what Distrowatch's definition of "major" is. I've grown to adore MX, and haven't even looked at another distro to use day-to-day, but I don't see it as a major distribution. As asqwerth mentioned, MX is generally well-respected, as it should be. It's a solid derivative and, in my mind, something pretty special. It's attracting a lot of attention, whether that's because it's systemd-free, well put together, solid, stable and fast, has a boatload of tools, or whatever. But it's not on the same level as Debian, Arch or Fedora/Red Hat. Nor should it be.

skidoo

#19 Post by skidoo »

manyroads wrote:there seems to be no definition for "major". I guess it's a mix of major interest and/or a base from which other distros are derived. But who knows???
rc racer wrote:I'm not sure what Distrowatch's definition of "major" is.
Instead of idly wondering, just click the link and read the DW "definition". It's stated right atop the page.
https://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major

Richard

#20 Post by Richard »

Yep. By their definition,
MX is a major distro.
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

Return to “General”