Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

Shotcut v19.01.27 is pretty cool I think

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
handy

Shotcut v19.01.27 is pretty cool I think

#1 Post by handy »

Note: This post is not in any way a complaint about a version not working, or the lack of availability of the latest version of Shotcut in the repo (it may even be there outside of Stable - I didn't look). This post is me sharing my enthusiasm & some info' on something that is very new to me. :)

I relatively recently got hold of a drone with a camera capable of shooting video & stills at 4K.
Re. Video editing, I haven't really done much other than play around (with Blender, mostly), on other people's videos, whilst following tutorials on Youtube (& that was a while back too).

Anyway, today after a little research, I installed Shotcut 17.06, from the MX Stable repo. It loaded up OK, & would play the video that I wanted to edit. But when I tried to open a the initial video track, Shotcut would instantly disappear. So I checked that I had the required files installed in my system (a Jack lib is essential apparently) & I did have what was required.

So I did a bit more research, thinking, oh well, I'll try another vid-editor. Though, the more I researched, the more I wanted to use Shotcut, as it is a powerful thing that is happy to work with 4K vid, many are not. Though I'm not sure if it can do H265 4K 10bit yet, but that doesn't really matter at this stage of the game, as H265 is really still the new kid on the block compatibility wise.

I must say that I haven't looked in the MX Testing repo. What I did do, was to install the 64-bit Linux portable tar from the Shotcut website here:

https://www.shotcut.org/download/

The unpacked package creates a directory that is "portable", as they say. You just put it where you want it & call it (as instructed) from there.

So the newly installed package is Shotcut 19.01.27 (the date of release is used for the version number), & it runs really well on my system. It crashed on me (meaning shutdown & disappeared) once. It was really my own fault I suppose, as I was very quickly asking it to undo, multiple times, & on a 4K file. The really cool thing was, that Shotcut kept a backup of what I was doing, & I don't think that I really lost any of my work at all. If I did, it obviously wasn't much. :)

I spent hours editing a couple of 4K files into one file & then rendered it. The render took out many "bumps" (where I had changed the speed; brightness; merged clips using "filters" or via "transition", sometimes using multiples of the aforementioned) or at worst, after Shotcut rendered the video, any bumps that were left (I expect they exist due to my gross ignorance of how to use the software) were substantially smoothed out. Which was what I was hoping Shotcut would do. :)

It took 22:56 minutes:seconds to render the video, using the Clevo notebook that I've put details of in my signature. At this stage I don't know if there are any settings I can use to make the rendering faster.

Someone who knows what they are looking at may find some use in the following (I used no audio in the video):

Code: Select all

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : High@L5.1
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames                : 4 frames
Codec ID                                 : avc1
Codec ID/Info                            : Advanced Video Coding
Duration                                 : 4 min 52 s
Bit rate                                 : 33.4 Mb/s
Width                                    : 3 840 pixels
Height                                   : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 29.970 (30000/1001) FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.135
Stream size                              : 1.14 GiB (100%)
Writing library                          : x264 core 155 r2917 0a84d98
Encoding settings                        : cabac=1 / ref=2 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=6 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / lookahead_threads=2 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=1 / keyint=150 / keyint_min=15 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=30 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=21.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Encoded date                             : UTC 1904-01-01 00:00:00
Tagged date                              : UTC 1904-01-01 00:00:00
Color range                              : Limited
Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709
This is the only tutorial that I've looked at (haven't read any either at this stage), the Youtube tutorial was really all I needed to quickly get the basics of how to use Shotcut:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlDG90sbhQY
Last edited by handy on Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1_MSI: MAG B560 TORP', i5, RAM 16GB, GTX 1070 Ti 12GB, M2 238GB + USB, MX-23 Fb to Openbox
2_Lenovo: Ideapad 520S, i5, RAM 8GB, GPU i620, HDD 1TB, MX-21 - Openbox
3_Clevo: P150SM-A, i7, RAM 16GB, nVidia 8600, 2x 1TB HDD & M.2 256 GB, MX-21 - Openbox

manyroads

Re: Shotcut v19.01.27 is pretty cool I think

#2 Post by manyroads »

fwiw I found their appimage here:

https://www.fosshub.com/Shotcut.html

It may provide a more stable environment because its self contained....
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

handy

Re: Shotcut v19.01.27 is pretty cool I think

#3 Post by handy »

Thanks @manyroads, I'll keep that in mind if I have stability issues.
1_MSI: MAG B560 TORP', i5, RAM 16GB, GTX 1070 Ti 12GB, M2 238GB + USB, MX-23 Fb to Openbox
2_Lenovo: Ideapad 520S, i5, RAM 8GB, GPU i620, HDD 1TB, MX-21 - Openbox
3_Clevo: P150SM-A, i7, RAM 16GB, nVidia 8600, 2x 1TB HDD & M.2 256 GB, MX-21 - Openbox

Return to “General”