I've been ever so slightly hacked:

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
handy

I've been ever so slightly hacked:

#1 Post by handy »

Here's a slightly edited copy of what arrived in my email:
I'll begin with the most important.

I hacked your device and then got access to all your accounts... Including one.of.my.email.addresses@one.of.my.ISP's.
It is easy to check - I wrote you this email from your account.
Also I have an old password for the hacking day: an.old.password <-THE SCARY BIT.

Moreover, I know your intim secret, and I have proof of this.
You do not know me personally, and no one paid me to check you.

It is just a coincidence that I discovered your mistake.
In fact, I posted a malicious code (exploit) to an adult site, and you visited this site...

While watching a video Trojan virus has been installed on your device through an exploit.
This darknet software working as RDP (remote-controlled desktop), which has a keylogger,
which gave me access to your microphone and webcam.
Soon after, my software received all your contacts from your messenger, social network and email.

At that moment I spent much more time than I should have.
I studied your love life and created a good video series.
The first part shows the video that you watched,
and the second part shows the video clip taken from your webcam (you are doing inappropriate things).

Honestly, I want to forget all the information about you and allow you to continue your daily life.
And I will give you two suitable options. Both are easy to do.
First option: you ignore this email.
The second option: you pay me $700(USD).

Let's look at 2 options in detail.

The first option is to ignore this email.
Let me tell you what happens if you choose this path.
I will send your video to your contacts, including family members, colleagues, etc.
This does not protect you from the humiliation that you and
your family need to know when friends and family members know about your unpleasant details.

The second option is to pay me. We will call this "privacy advice."
Now let me tell you what happens if you choose this path.
Your secret is your secret. I immediately destroy the video.
You continue your life as if none of this has happened.

Now you might think: "I'll call to police!"
Undoubtedly, I have taken steps to ensure that this letter cannot be traced to me,
and it will not remain aloof from the evidence of the destruction of your daily life.
I don't want to steal all your savings.
I just want to get compensation for my efforts that I put in to investigate you.
Let us hope that you decide to create all this in full and pay me a fee for confidentiality.
You make a Bitcoin payment (if you don't know how to do it, just enter "how to buy bitcoins" in Google search)

Shipping amount: $700(USD).
Getting Bitcoin Addresses: 1FVuyuSN41aa3JN9sn8qkuD2PmaMEMHHnc
(This is sensitive, so copy and paste it carefully)

Don't tell anyone what to use bitcoins for. The procedure for obtaining bitcoins can take several days, so do not wait.

I have a spetial code in Trojan, and now I know that you have read this letter.
You have 48 hours to pay.
If I don't get BitCoins, I'll send your video to your contacts, including close relatives, co-workers, and so on.
Start looking for the best excuse for friends and family before they all know.
But if I get paid, I immediately delete the video.

This is a one-time offer that is non-negotiable, so do not waste my and your time.
Time is running out.

Bye!
Apparently the above has been getting around a bit. The thing that I don't like is that they got a hold of one of my old (not used now for some time) passwords.

As far as the rest of the above goes, they can forget about it. lol
I put some tape over the cameras on my computers ages back, & I have the microphones disabled. So that sh*t that they are talking about is just that...

So I say to them, do your best!
1_MSI: MAG B560 TORP', i5, RAM 16GB, GTX 1070 Ti 12GB, M2 238GB + USB, MX-23 Fb to Openbox
2_Lenovo: Ideapad 520S, i5, RAM 8GB, GPU i620, HDD 1TB, MX-21 - Openbox
3_Clevo: P150SM-A, i7, RAM 16GB, nVidia 8600, 2x 1TB HDD & M.2 256 GB, MX-21 - Openbox

wkr

Re: I've been ever so slightly hacked:

#2 Post by wkr »

You haven't been hacked, but a site containing your email with a password has been. If you want to know which : https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Adrian
Developer

#3 Post by Adrian »

Yeah, there's an entire database of passwords and emails associated with them, you'll see that more and more, just make sure you don't reuse passwords on multiple sites.

manyroads

#4 Post by manyroads »

I get about 20 of those a week... I feel very special. :mad: Of late I have noticed that their English grammar has become almost incomprehensible. I am moving all my passwords to being unique and meaningless plus exceptionally long. Lastpass doesn't care how long they are and I figure with 100+ character passwords, most email spam generators will choke (delusional, I know). :eek:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

richb
Administrator

#5 Post by richb »

manyroads wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:47 am I get about 20 of those a week... I feel very special. :mad: Of late I have noticed that their English grammar has become almost incomprehensible. I am moving all my passwords to being unique and meaningless plus exceptionally long. Lastpass doesn't care how long they are and I figure with 100+ character passwords, most email spam generators will choke (delusional, I know). :eek:
I feel neglected. I have never received one.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

manyroads

#6 Post by manyroads »

richb wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:52 am
manyroads wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:47 am I get about 20 of those a week... I feel very special. :mad: Of late I have noticed that their English grammar has become almost incomprehensible. I am moving all my passwords to being unique and meaningless plus exceptionally long. Lastpass doesn't care how long they are and I figure with 100+ character passwords, most email spam generators will choke (delusional, I know). :eek:
If you'd like, I can forward a few to you.... :p :eek:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

richb
Administrator

#7 Post by richb »

:rolleyes:
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

KBD

#8 Post by KBD »

wkr wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:34 am You haven't been hacked, but a site containing your email with a password has been. If you want to know which : https://haveibeenpwned.com/
This. I'd guess My email/password has been hacked across about 7-8 sites in the past 5 years. Main thing is to change your passwords and don't reuse them.
Edit: put in my gmail address--7 exactly: Adobe, Dropbox, Mint, Last.Fm, 3 others.

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#9 Post by Eadwine Rose »

richb wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:52 am
Me neither Rich..

must be because we both IIRC use Chrome?

*ducks* :laugh:
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

alexjack

#10 Post by alexjack »

It's a spearfishing scam. Don't re-use passwords.

Return to “General”