​What's the most popular Linux of them all?

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
manyroads

​What's the most popular Linux of them all?

#1 Post by manyroads »

Because popularity of various distros seems such a hot topic "in these parts", I thought I'd share an article from zdnet. The author offers some insights folks rarely (if ever) discuss when focusing on Distrowatch ratings:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/whats-the ... -them-all/
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Mauser

Re: ​What's the most popular Linux of them all?

#2 Post by Mauser »

Who ever wrote that article made me throw up!
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

manyroads

#3 Post by manyroads »

Mauser wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:09 am Who ever wrote that article made me throw up!
Does that mean you did not like it? :p
Pax vobiscum,
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

j2mcgreg
Global Moderator

#4 Post by j2mcgreg »

Mauser wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:09 am Who ever wrote that article made me throw up!
Hardly surprising. ZDNET is the epitome of a Microsoft sycophant and any articles it publishes on the other platforms are always written in the vaguest and most superficial terms.
HP 15; ryzen 3 5300U APU; 500 Gb SSD; 8GB ram
Aspire V5-571; CPU Intel I3; 500 GB SSD; Intel 2nd Gen Graphics; 8 GB Ram
Aspire XC-866; i3-9100; UHD 630; 8 GB ram; 1TB HDD

In Linux, newer isn't always better. The best solution is the one that works.

timkb4cq
Developer

#5 Post by timkb4cq »

I daresay that the Debian mothership is the probably the most influential given the cloud of distributions that it has spawned - antiX, MX, Ubuntu, Mint, Knoppix, SteamOS, ElementaryOS, Raspbian , and dozens more. The fact that Google is now letting newer Chromebooks install packages from debian stable into ChromeOS is indicative of that.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

Adrian
Developer

#6 Post by Adrian »

timkb4cq wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:23 am I daresay that the Debian mothership is the probably the most influential given the cloud of distributions that it has spawned - antiX, MX, Ubuntu, Mint, Knoppix, SteamOS, ElementaryOS, Raspbian , and dozens more. The fact that Google is now letting newer Chromebooks install packages from debian stable into ChromeOS is indicative of that.
I agree, I wonder how the other world RedHat/Fedora is going to fare under IBM and under the competition pressure from Ubuntu...

manyroads

#7 Post by manyroads »

Adrian wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:26 am I agree, I wonder how the other world RedHat/Fedora is going to fare under IBM and under the competition pressure from Ubuntu...
I have wondered the same thing. I tend to think that with the Red Hat/Fedora/CentOS eco-system IBM will do very well in the data center business. It makes me wonder if Ubuntu, once they go public, won't be a target of Dell or Amazon (competition being what it is).
Pax vobiscum,

j2mcgreg
Global Moderator

#8 Post by j2mcgreg »

manyroads wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:11 pm
Adrian wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:26 am I agree, I wonder how the other world RedHat/Fedora is going to fare under IBM and under the competition pressure from Ubuntu...
I have wondered the same thing. I tend to think that with the Red Hat/Fedora/CentOS eco-system IBM will do very well in the data center business. It makes me wonder if Ubuntu, once they go public, won't be a target of Dell or Amazon (competition being what it is).
I think that I'd throw HP into the mix as well. An Ubuntu acquisition could be a great compliment to their existing Unix business.
HP 15; ryzen 3 5300U APU; 500 Gb SSD; 8GB ram
Aspire V5-571; CPU Intel I3; 500 GB SSD; Intel 2nd Gen Graphics; 8 GB Ram
Aspire XC-866; i3-9100; UHD 630; 8 GB ram; 1TB HDD

In Linux, newer isn't always better. The best solution is the one that works.

bigbenaugust

#9 Post by bigbenaugust »

manyroads wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:11 pm
The funny thing is, Amazon Linux in AWS is RH-based. I wonder if that changes at some future time.
--Ben

skidoo

#10 Post by skidoo »

Amazon Linux in AWS is RH-based.
The details of its without-systemd.org listing are less specific b/c I hadn't been able to find a verbatim "based on RHEL"

Amazon Linux AMI ~~ ref: https://aws.amazon.com/amazon-linux-2/faqs/ ~~ version 2 now includes systemd service and systems manager

Quickly checking again today, I still found no explicit "based on" mentioning RHEL, but I did notice the following:
https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/late ... asics.html

[ec2-user ~]$ cat /etc/os-release
NAME="Amazon Linux"
VERSION="2"
ID="amzn"
ID_LIKE="centos rhel fedora"
VERSION_ID="2"
PRETTY_NAME="Amazon Linux 2"
ANSI_COLOR="0;33"
CPE_NAME="cpe:2.3:o:amazon:amazon_linux:2"
HOME_URL="https://amazonlinux.com/"

Return to “General”