​What's the most popular Linux of them all?

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
skidoo

Re: ​What's the most popular Linux of them all?

#11 Post by skidoo »

The article linked in the OP mentions "Google Trends" and
When I focused my Google Trends analysis on just the United States, Red Hat jumped into second place by a typical score of 18 to 12. But that was still far, far behind Ubuntu. In the same period, Ubuntu cruises above its rivals with a score of 84.
The ZDNet author didn't provide "click here to see for yourself" links. I clicked and visited trends.google.com. What query had the article author used? (We readers don't know.) Howabout: "linux distribution"

hxxps :// trends.google.com/trends/explore?q=linux%20distribution&geo=US

Whoa, I didn't ask for geo-specific results. The site automatically appended that constraint. I really wasn't interested in hearing what has been "trending" among (only) 330M Murricans this past year. After chopping that constraint from the URL, the Top25 results did align well with my expectation. Might be an interesting exercise toward examining (real or perceived) search results bubbling: "distribucion de linux" ~~ with, and again without, the "&geo=US" constraint.

Stevo
Developer

#12 Post by Stevo »

The author of the zdnet article was a big fan of MEPIS back in the day, but I don't think he's ever mentioned MX Linux at all. Maybe a search would prove me wrong.

manyroads

#13 Post by manyroads »

The take away for me in articles like these is that Heisenberg's uncertainty principle applies a bit like this author describes:

https://www.quora.com/Can-Heisenbergs-U ... -real-life
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

KBD

#14 Post by KBD »

Adrian wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:26 am
I agree, I wonder how the other world RedHat/Fedora is going to fare under IBM and under the competition pressure from Ubuntu...
What happens with Ubuntu is going to be interesting. I don't like the idea of a corporation owning my Linux distribution, which is one of many reasons I like Debian.

Return to “General”