Is MX the Solus of 2019?

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
azrielle

Re: Is MX the Solus of 2019?

#11 Post by azrielle »

JMHO,
The only way MX has of becoming a major player is if some altruistic soul comes along and donates the untold thousands necessary to qualify for a Secure Boot key of its very own.
Lenovo T430 i5/3320m 8GB MX17.1/Win7SP1 180GB SSD/128GB mSATA
Lenovo X230 i7/3520m 12GB MX17.1/Win7SP1 500GB SSD 480GB mSATA
Lenovo X131e i3/3227u 8GB MX21Xfce/Win7SP1 500GB SSD
Lenovo 11e Celeron n3150 4GB MX19/Fedora30Games 128GB SSD

aledie

#12 Post by aledie »

beardedgeek72 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:56 am What I mean is: is MX the new hot distro after Manjaro and Solus?

It sure seems like MX suddenly is playing in the "big leagues" with Manjaro, Mint and Ubuntu (Xubuntu?).
Maybe it's a better question if MX was the Manjaro or 2018?
Come on, "new hot distro". Hot maybe ;) new not ... Mepis (2003) was around long enough, even longer than Ubuntu (2004).

Are Solus (2015), Manjaro (2011), Mint (2006) considered "major league", based on Distrowatch ratings? At least last 2 build on either Arch or Ubuntu, which are somehow closer to being called that.

You need to be around a bit longer and have a considerable user base... Who has come close to MS, Apple, Android shares? Ubuntu had enterprise backup (SuSe, RH same) it's what helps to propel a distro to the "major" club. Do we want that, can we have that, what about freedom!?

Anyway, Linux segmentation is a major obstacle.
The first thing some guy asks even first day joins this forum is "how do I install KDE, Mate, Cinnamon"? Even better, "how do I do my own distro from MX"...

I'd really like to put the new Windowmaker on antiX or MX, see how it works ;) and I will try, guilty!
MX-18 (x64): HP 8460p, i5-2540M, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, HD3000

BitJam
Developer

#13 Post by BitJam »

aledie wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:04 amAnyway, Linux segmentation is a major obstacle.
The first thing some guy asks even first day joins this forum is "how do I install KDE, Mate, Cinnamon"? Even better, "how do I do my own distro from MX"...
We welcome and encourage this! We've put a lot of effort into making this as easy as possible. The live system in particular was designed to make it easy for you to make our own customized version. With various forms of persistence, live-remaster, roll back, and even snapshot, we offer a number of ways for you to easily back out of changes you don't want. Then once you've built a system you like you can use use snapshot on the live system to distribute it to others. The next step is to use our Build-iso system so you can produce your distro year after year the same way we make antiX and MX. Yes, people have done this and it is encouraged. Well, at least one person.

I'd like to see a "market place" (free of course) of antiX and MX snapshots. One key element would be a list of packages added and removed so you can see what other people are doing before you download and boot. There could be evolution, growth, and cross pollination. I think antiX and MX could benefit greatly from this. At the very worst it would be a confirmed that we already have the perfect mix of packages.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

aledie

#14 Post by aledie »

@BitJam: Ok, I see your point, maybe it is what Linux is, we do what we wish to without being forced anything upon.

By the way, I recall Slitaz had something called flavors, a script can be installed from the repos and executed the way it changes your distro to the look and setup someone else created. You can pick and install different flavors from the list approved. No iso downloads, the package manager does the job... Did we ever use a similar concept? Recall there versions different in size, DE, target group like edu, ham radio etc.
MX-18 (x64): HP 8460p, i5-2540M, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, HD3000

BitJam
Developer

#15 Post by BitJam »

aledie wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:48 amBy the way, I recall Slitaz had something called flavors, a script can be installed from the repos and executed the way it changes your distro to the look and setup someone else created. You can pick and install different flavors from the list approved. No iso downloads, the package manager does the job... Did we ever use a similar concept? Recall there versions different in size, DE, target group like edu, ham radio etc.
Wow! That sounds really cool. AntiX has flavours but they are mostly small, medium, and large. Good starting points for making your own custom system. I think the closest thing we have to Slitaz flavors are the package installers. They are a little more fine-grained than what you describe but that may not be a bad thing.

Our cli-aptiX program is a command line version of Synaptic. It is set up with several groups of recommended packages. But once again, you get to pick and choose which packages from the group you want installed. You can pick them all or most of them or just a few. OTOH, I think our package managers can be more clever and make sure that when you want to install something, it gets installed so it works on our system. I recall some recent threads where someone says they tried to install something like Wine and it was messed up and not working. The suggestion, of course, was to undo the damage and then install it via the package installer.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

philotux

#16 Post by philotux »

BitJam
Developer

#17 Post by BitJam »

philotux wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:15 am 10 Most Promising New Linux Distributions to Look Forward in 2019

With Mx Linux and antiX topping the list!

:number1:
Please post this in a new thread! (if it hasn't been done already)

-- Richard Feynman

figueroa

#18 Post by figueroa »

When was Solus hot? (rhetorical question, no answer needed)

I'm the system administrator for a small school about 700 miles north of me. I'm contemplating the use of MX on the staff's desktop computers sometime in the future. About 2007 I switched all of the desktop users from Windows over to Mint. Mint was popular with the users and we had a good run. Around 2011 or so I moved everybody over to Gentoo with Gnome 2.~ desktops. I moved them into LXDE when Gnome 2 became unsustainable. That's been a good run on old P4 computers.

We started the process over a year ago of upgrading hardware and moving the users back to Mint, now 19 w/XFCE. But, over the last year as I've become increasingly familiar with MX, I'm finding it more stable and easier to manage than Mint. As enterprise users go, we're small potatoes, but I'm thinking of MX as a stable, easy to support desktop for getting work done in the real world.
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

Return to “General”