Recommendations on password manager

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
philotux

Recommendations on password manager

#1 Post by philotux »

Hi,

I have been using Lastpass for managing my passwords for different accounts. I use the android app and the browser extension/addon for Chrome/Firefox. I just picked it out of the bunch after skimming through some reviews on the web.

I have been thinking of switching to Bitwarden since it is open source and has an appimage for Linux. But at the moment I don't know much about it beyond that. I would like to know a bit more about password managing alternatives. Which password manager do you use? It's pros and cons etc.

I would greatly appreciate if you would like to share your experience.

cheers
philotux

manyroads

Re: Recommendations on password manager

#2 Post by manyroads »

I found Bitwarden did not work to my liking... :frown:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

richb
Administrator

#3 Post by richb »

I use Lastpass as well. The potential disadvantage is that your passwords are on someone else's server. If hacked, well you know the result. There is a free plan and subscription plan with more features. On the positive side Lastpass works very well and your master password is not known by them. It also has an Android app and all your passwords can be synced.
I flirted with Bitwarden, but found i did not like the interface. I do not recall the details.
Keeper is another solution, but the same issue as Lastpass. I think pricing options are the same, free and subscription.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

srq2625

#4 Post by srq2625 »

I've been using KeePassX for a number of years until someone, on another forum, pointed out that it was no longer under maintenance. At that time I migrated to KeePassXC.

KeePassXC also has an Android version that uses the same file format.
AsusTek PRIME B450-Plus
AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8-Core, 16 threads)
Radeon HD 6570/7570/8550 / R5 230
Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 - driver: r8169
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB
DDR4 3200MHz CL16 2x8GB

philotux

#5 Post by philotux »

Thanks manyroads and richb for your replies!
richb wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:20 am The potential disadvantage is that your passwords are on someone else's server.
Even though Laspass has worked well for me , this is what has been a little of a concern for me lately.
srq2625 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:43 am I've been using KeePassX for a number of years until someone, on another forum, pointed out that it was no longer under maintenance. At that time I migrated to KeePassXC.

KeePassXC also has an Android version that uses the same file format.
Thanks srq2625 for your post!

I have just installed both KeePassX and KeePassXC. The latter has an extension for Chrome and Firefox but I don't seem to get it working yet. The extension won't load and I get an error message:
KeePassXC-Browser has encountered an error:
Timeout or not connected to KeePassXC.
Reloading it doesn't help. Trying to connect to the it's database in the setting but nothing happens.
KeePassXC-extension.png
So at the moment I am at a loss as to how I have to configure them.
I didn't know that KeePassXC had an Android app as well, thanks for the info. I will have a look.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

srq2625

#6 Post by srq2625 »

philotux wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:45 am I didn't know that KeePassXC had an Android app as well, thanks for the info. I will have a look.
Don't know anything about the Chrome/Firefox extension - I don't use them

The Android version is called KeePassDroid.
AsusTek PRIME B450-Plus
AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8-Core, 16 threads)
Radeon HD 6570/7570/8550 / R5 230
Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 - driver: r8169
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB
DDR4 3200MHz CL16 2x8GB

philotux

#7 Post by philotux »

srq2625 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:52 am The Android version is called KeePassDroid.
Great, thanks!

rootetsy

#8 Post by rootetsy »

I had used KeypassXC for a while but found it's Firefox integration to be really buggy. Sometimes it would work and sometimes not.

I switched to Bitwarden a few months ago and it works perfectly for me. I use it quite extensively and haven't seen any issues with it yet.

Also, they do have an Appimage install and I do have that installed but I find that I never actually need it. The Firefox plugin works really well and it can also open up in a new window if you need it to. That's why I never use the Appimage install.

philotux

#9 Post by philotux »

rootetsy wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am Also, they do have an Appimage install and I do have that installed but I find that I never actually need it. The Firefox plugin works really well and it can also open up in a new window if you need it to. That's why I never use the Appimage install.
Thanks rootetsy!

Well, I am in the market for a password manager, so I think I will give Bitwarden a try as well (both Appimage and extension) to get some hand on experience. Thanks for sharing yours!

manyroads

#10 Post by manyroads »

Like many of you I am a Keepass & Lastpass user. As for having 'stuff' in the cloud, almost anything you do that allows syncing across OS platforms or disparate CPUs travels or is stored "in the cloud". As for any cloud based storage or accounts, I personally am using 'absurdly long, complex' passwords. Gmail, social media, Lastpass all have 121 character passwords. :p I'm certain I'm no more secure than the net person, but I enjoy thinking that I might be a little bit better off, security-wise, using my monstrous password beasts. :needcoffee:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Return to “General”