Recommendations on password manager

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
philotux

Re: Recommendations on password manager

#11 Post by philotux »

manyroads wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:21 pm I personally am using 'absurdly long, complex' passwords. Gmail, social media, Lastpass all have 121 character passwords.
Wow! I thought I was using looong passwords with 25 characters. I should reconsider :smile:

paul1149

#12 Post by paul1149 »

I used lastpass for years, but felt it was getting too complicated and was not working on an increasing number of sites (I'm primarily in Vivaldi or Slimjet, both Chromium-based). I've found Bitwarden to be very good in both form and function, and have been with it for well over a year. If you're shy of the cloud you can set up your own server, which I don't bother with so no installation is necessary. There's a support forum on reddit.
MX-19-KDE x64, on Ryzen 5, 16GB RAM, SSD. Nvidia graphics.

philotux

#13 Post by philotux »

paul1149 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:08 pm I've found Bitwarden to be very good in both form and function, and have been with it for well over a year. If you're shy of the cloud you can set up your own server, which I don't bother with so no installation is necessary. There's a support forum on reddit.
Great! Thanks for your input!

The possibility to set one's own server sounds interesting. I don't have any clue as how I can do such a thing, but maybe on their support forum I can get some ideas.

Thanks again!

Stevo
Developer

#14 Post by Stevo »

Mathematically speaking, a simple password with the same number of digits is just as hard to crack with brute force as a complicated, impossible-to-remember one:

Code: Select all

NKH%5^*$3)&7^%3#*5@$dd$$mmm(-*(%%b4421!
versus

Code: Select all

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@dog
have the same amount of "hardness".

https://www.grc.com/haystack.htm

manyroads

#15 Post by manyroads »

It's the old 500 monkeys typing will eventually type War & Peace saying... ;)
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

philotux

#16 Post by philotux »

So the conclusion is: use a loooooooooooong-easy-to-remember-password.

Captain Brillo

#17 Post by Captain Brillo »

Over the years I've tried a lot: the best I've found are Enpass and Bitwarden
Bitwarden, you have to log in to their site, Enpass is on your box.
The main issue with Enpass is that their update's very often break it. Severely.
Bitwarden, you have to set it to not log you out every damn time you close your browser!!!!!! (There is a setting, thanking whoever finally)

If Enpass could get their act together, it would be unbeatable.

And as for
So the conclusion is: use a loooooooooooong-easy-to-remember-password.
one view is that this is self defeating. Because you can't remember a lot of
loooooooooooong
things.
Try picking a phrase that only you know, then write it down.
For example, "greengrass" or "sink the bismarck"
If you look at that, there are umpteen different ways you can modify that by using upper/lower case, numbers, symbols, and substituting "leet numbers" for letters, like 3 for E, 1 for I, etc., you know what I mean. Make sure that repeating characters have different symbols. Like one 3 actually is a 3, the next is an E, etc etc

With just a couple of expressions, and your own little substitution formula, the odds of any one cracking your password get really big. There are technical articles available about this, but I bookmarked them on a dead box, just going by memory now. Look 'em up.

But you can get tons of easily remembered passwords this way, just by remembering your phrase and your substitution rule. Feel free to write these last 2 down , 'cuz no one will know what they mean.
Last edited by Captain Brillo on Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GAFA-free zone

philotux

#18 Post by philotux »

Thanks Captain Brillo for the input!
I guess Enpass had passed under my radar (like too many other things). I never knew of it. I appreciate all the alternatives to look into.

Edit: Thanks for elaborating further on the subject. interesting ideas.

sunrat

#19 Post by sunrat »

correcthorsebatterystaple

Mauser

#20 Post by Mauser »

I use the password manager in Firefox which has always worked well for me. It's the only part of the Firefox browsers that the developers at Mozilla haven't broken yet.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

Return to “General”