It seems I have a Facebook account I didn't know about

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
Captain Brillo

It seems I have a Facebook account I didn't know about

#1 Post by Captain Brillo »

One of the emails I have must have been used by someone else years ago - I've only had it for about a year.
I keep getting emails from FB people - and the "unsubscribe" button doesn't work.

When I tried to login, I got told that someone else was trying to login recently, and I needed to prove my ID. With a photo. Which they've never had ever.

Until I do that, I can't get in and delete this account, nor stop the emails. And what's worse, the email account's filters don't stop these messages - and neither do Thunderbird's.

Am i going to have to give up this email?
GAFA-free zone

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: It seems I have a Facebook account I didn't know about

#2 Post by Jerry3904 »

Are you sure it is not phishing? Try clicking on the "Details" link to see the headers.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

KoO

#3 Post by KoO »

Report this to facebook and your email company now for all you know their could be two of you out their..
Main : MX 19.1-AHS (i3) 5.4.13-1~mx19+1, Asus B450-i AMD 5 3600 , 32gb Hyper-X 3200 , GTX970 . :linuxlove:
Lenovo T430 : Debian10 antiX17 (i3) , 4.20.12 , i5 , 12gb .
Lenovo X220 : Test Machine (ATM)

Stevo
Developer

#4 Post by Stevo »

I really can't see how this is related to MX Linux. This thread should be moved to Chat or the like.

richb
Administrator

#5 Post by richb »

Stevo wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:36 pm I really can't see how this is related to MX Linux. This thread should be moved to Chat or the like.
Done
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

skidoo

#6 Post by skidoo »

If they chumped you into clicking the "unsubscribe" hyperlink, they've already won. Now they know:

-- it's an active email address (the email wasn't bounced) (and can be added to hotlist(s) sold to other phishers/spammers)
-- the email was, in fact, read by the prospective victim
-- IP address (geolocation) + OS/version (per User-Agent string) of the prospective victim

Captain Brillo

#7 Post by Captain Brillo »

skidoo:
doh!

guess I'm dropping that account

(@richb - original post was "supposed" to start - "not sure where to post this' and i must have goofed.)
GAFA-free zone

Return to “General”