Newer Chromebooks that run Linux apps use Debian 9 source

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
KBD

Newer Chromebooks that run Linux apps use Debian 9 source

#1 Post by KBD »

I've had a love/hate relationship with Chromebooks over the years. I still use my Acer C720 with MX running off of a full install usb stick. And I recently came across a HP 14 Chromebook so well priced I had to buy it.
Was surprised when I saw the following article that tells how to install Linux apps on Chrome OS and that the source for them is Debian 9. I guess it shouldn't surprise me as Google did switch from Ubuntu in house to Debian, but it's nice to see even Google appreciates Debian stability:
https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/08/1 ... chrome-os/
Edit: This article suggests Chrome OS eventually will let different distros run on Chromebooks.
“Device administrators will be able to designate a URL for Chrome OS to download the Linux distro from a hash to ensure the download was successful. It’s also intended for a license key (if necessary) to be preset. It’s not yet known if any modifications will need to be made to the Linux distro itself to work with Chrome OS.”
https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2019/01/chr ... ose-distro
Easy MX installs on Chromebooks one day would be awesome!

kc1di

Re: Newer Chromebooks that run Linux apps use Debian 9 source

#2 Post by kc1di »

Very interesting thanks for posting.

KBD

#3 Post by KBD »

Another new interesting tidbit about Chromebooks:

Chromebooks will also be able to search for and install Linux apps from the Chrome OS launcher.
https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2019/01/chr ... n-launcher

KBD

#4 Post by KBD »

CloudReady
https://www.neverware.com/freedownload/
Is a ChromeOS/ChromiumOS free version for a variety of older hardware. Their focus is for use in businesses and schools on older hardware, but they offer it free for home/personal use. I installed this on my Acer C720 and used their Linux beta to install Gimp and LibreOffice. Interesting to see those work on what is essentially a Chromebook interface. CloudReady itself is interesting as Google is backing it, supporting and investing in the company (Neverware). AntiX will run light on just about anything, but CloudReady might be an option if you need an "idiot-proof" super lightweight OS and are not allergic to Google as you are still signing into Google services to use CloudReady OS.

Code: Select all

@penguin 
    ,g$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$P.       ------------------ 
  ,g$$P"     """Y$$.".        OS: Debian GNU/Linux 9.6 (stretch) x86_64 
 ,$$P'              `$$$.     Kernel: 4.14.67-07156-gc116f2c8c400 
',$$P       ,ggs.     `$$b:   Uptime: 2 hours, 25 minutes 
`d$$'     ,$P"'   .    $$$    Packages: 738 
 $$P      d$'     ,    $$P    Shell: bash 4.4.12 
 $$:      $$.   -    ,d$$'    Resolution: 1366x768 
 $$;      Y$b._   _,d$P'      WM: Sommelier 
 Y$$.    `.`"Y$$$$P"'         Theme: CrosAdapta [GTK2/3] 
 `$$b      "-.__              Icons: CrosAdapta [GTK2/3]