Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

netflix on MX Suggestions & advice

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
mmikeinsantarosa
Developer

netflix on MX Suggestions & advice

#1 Post by mmikeinsantarosa »

Recently I was asked if netflix would run on MX. I don't use netflix so I was hoping to get some feedback & advice on setup & configuration and any limitations.
ie:
Does the 32 bit workaround from the wiki still work?

How do users put it into service (what's your setup)? Do you have a dedicated PC feeding a monitor & audio amp (any home theater setup experts here?) or do you just watch it on your PC?

Our wiki entry for netflix is for MX15/16. Anything I pick up here that's new or different, will go into the wiki.

thanks in advance,
Mike
LT: MX19.1 Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-6820HQ Kernel: 5.0.0-7.1-liquorix-amd64 x86_64

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: netflix on MX Suggestions & advice

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle »

I think Netflix just works in Firefox now so there shouldn't be anything need done.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#3 Post by Jerry3904 »

It works fine in Firefox here, but not in Opera which I prefer.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Paul..

#4 Post by Paul.. »

works fine. chrome here.

Asus Prime X570-Pro | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
16 Gig DDR4 3600 | Radeon RX 5600 XT Graphics
Samsung 860 500GB SSDs (2)

mmikeinsantarosa
Developer

#5 Post by mmikeinsantarosa »

anybody home-theater-ize netflix?
LT: MX19.1 Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-6820HQ Kernel: 5.0.0-7.1-liquorix-amd64 x86_64

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#6 Post by dolphin_oracle »

Sort of. I have a pc hooked to my tv and play Netflix that way.

mmikeinsantarosa
Developer

#7 Post by mmikeinsantarosa »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:50 am Sort of. I have a pc hooked to my tv and play Netflix that way.
What did you do for audio?

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#8 Post by dolphin_oracle »

mmikeinsantarosa wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:43 am
dolphin_oracle wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:50 am Sort of. I have a pc hooked to my tv and play Netflix that way.
What did you do for audio?
it runs through the HDMI to the TV speakers, but I also have a digital passthru on the TV that I can output to a surrround sound speaker system if I wish. That part largely depends on your audio receiver. some take the entire video/audio signal over HDMI, process the audio, and pass the video thru to the TV. When I build out my home theater (after the kid is out of college, cause its going in his room), I'm planning on multiple audio outputs. with pulseaudio its pretty easy to switch outputs. that way I can use the TV speakers for regular shows and the big speakers for movies and shows that would benefit from them.

richb
Administrator

#9 Post by richb »

I cast from computer to the smart TV over WiFi in Google Chrome. The TV is connected to my Receiver with an optical cable so sound plays thorugh my surround speaker system. Works well on MX 17 but not MX 18. I will need to debug that.
But normally I just use the YouTube or Netflix app on the TV. Wirh a 22 inch computer monitor I really do not need to cast other content, such as the Forum to the TV.

Edit: Just had to reboot the the computer for casting to work on MX 18. I had TV and computer on a different wifi channel initially and changing the computer channel to the same as TV did not work until a reboot.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

mmikeinsantarosa
Developer

#10 Post by mmikeinsantarosa »

thanks guys

Return to “General”