I've noticed that the MX forum is as busy as the Manjaro forum

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
Mauser

Re: I've noticed that the MX forum is as busy as the Manjaro forum

#21 Post by Mauser »

sunrat wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:16 pm @Mauser - there's the flip side that we shouldn't be telling people to fear command line, or that it's only for nerds and h4x0r5.
I don't use it a great deal but there are some things for which it is faster, more efficient, and produces better results than any other method. And other times where it's needed for deeper system operations for which GUI is impractical.
Never stop learning, your mind will thank you. ;)
I am not saying to fear it. It shouldn't be thrown at people. I believe in what ever works best for you, go with it but don't force it onto others. I believe in live and let live. When it comes to the command line, I don't fear it, or think it's only for nerds. I just could never understand it. I just ask and copy and paste if it's required for something. Linux is suppose choices and freedom to use what you like. That's why I say there should be both, the C.L.I and the G.U.I. Use what works for you best. For me, I can move my mouse, left click, and right click than type out something that I have no clue what to type. It's like when I worked as an automotive technician that many things I liked doing it the old way where the young techs would be scratching their heads not understanding what I am doing. Thankfully the MX Linux developers make it easy and know it's 2019. If there was no G.U.I. I wouldn't use a computer.
Last edited by Mauser on Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

Fibogacci

#22 Post by Fibogacci »

In relation to command line:

I don't know if in other distros there is such a default shortcut like F4 and default pulled-out terminal from top, but it is one of the many features which makes MX (for me) such an enjoyable system from the very beginning.

In antiX I always need to install just at the beginning Guake terminal (similar behaviour pulling out from top with F12).

F4 in MX is a blessing.

For example I prefer watching youtube videos not in browser, but with mpv, so 1) I just copy link to video 2) F4 3) mpv "Paste" and that's it. Quick, nice and easy. CLI is always there, to serve and to ease, ready to use, no matter what. That's perfect.
MX-18 Continuum x86_64: laptop Dell Inspiron N7110, Intel Core i5-2410M @ 2.900GHz, 4GB RAM, Kernel: 4.19, DE: Xfce

seaken64

#23 Post by seaken64 »

Fibogacci wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:07 pm In relation to command line:

I don't know if in other distros there is such a default shortcut like F4 and default pulled-out terminal from top, but it is one of the many features which makes MX (for me) such an enjoyable system from the very beginning.

In antiX I always need to install just at the beginning Guake terminal (similar behaviour pulling out from top with F12).

F4 in MX is a blessing.

For example I prefer watching youtube videos not in browser, but with mpv, so 1) I just copy link to video 2) F4 3) mpv "Paste" and that's it. Quick, nice and easy. CLI is always there, to serve and to ease, ready to use, no matter what. That's perfect.
Fibogacci, I did not know of that feature. I just ran over to my MX-16 system and tried it. Sure enough the terminal drops down when I hit F4. I can see how that can be useful.

But it's funny, given this discussion about using the command line. I like to use the terminal to run MC, a console application for file management. I had not used it in MX until today. One of the features is the F4 key to start the editor on the selected file. I was getting irritated that every time I hit F4 a window would pop up but I did not get the editor. I ended up quitting MC and using Root Thunar to edit the file. Now I know why I was getting the pop-up!

Does anyone know how to change the hot-key to open the drop down terminal to another setting, like maybe F12, or Alt-F4, instead of F4?

Seaken64
MX21-64 XFCE & W11 on Lenovo 330S LT. MX21-KDE & MX21-XFCE on Live USB.
MX18-64 & W7, Fedora on HP Core2 DT
MX21-32 XFCE w/ MX-Fluxbox on P4HT DT w/ antiX21, SUSE Tumbleweed, Q4OS, WXP
antiX21 on Compaq PIII 1 Ghz DT, w/ Debian, MX18FB, W2K

skidoo

#24 Post by skidoo »

IIRC, the command is: xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts
Does typing into WhiskerMenu find it?

Settings --} Keyboard --} Application Shortcuts
(i didn't remember that, had to look it up in the MX user manual)

Fibogacci

#25 Post by Fibogacci »

seaken64 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:16 am But it's funny, given this discussion about using the command line. I like to use the terminal to run MC, a console application for file management. I had not used it in MX until today. One of the features is the F4 key to start the editor on the selected file. I was getting irritated that every time I hit F4 a window would pop up but I did not get the editor. I ended up quitting MC and using Root Thunar to edit the file. Now I know why I was getting the pop-up!

Does anyone know how to change the hot-key to open the drop down terminal to another setting, like maybe F12, or Alt-F4, instead of F4?

Seaken64
I also use often mc.

As was mentioned earlier, shortcuts can be set: Start Menu (Whisker) > Settings > Keyboard, tab Shortcuts

You can set eg. Ctrl + Shift + F4 shortcut to pull down terminal (I have such a combination on one of my computers). But generally I use mouse to click 4 Edition in mc in terminal and F4 as shortcut for pulling down.

It's good to know, that after F4 you can use F11 (full screen).

F12 as a shortcut is a good solution as well, in Guake terminal (it has similar behaviour, dropping down) it is a default.

So you have F12 and F11, very ergonomic location of keys.

I hit these two keys very often together. F4, F11, F11, F4. Better view, more possibilities ;)

And one more thing, in terminal Preferences, tab Advanced, you can turn off F10 shortcut which in MX terminal opens menu. It is used in mc for quit.

Edit:
After consideration, I've changed F4 for F12 just a moment ago. Sometimes good ideas are right next door, but you can not see them at first glance. ;)

Now I'm dropping down terminal with one hand and two fingers, earlier I used two hands. So it's improvement.
MX-18 Continuum x86_64: laptop Dell Inspiron N7110, Intel Core i5-2410M @ 2.900GHz, 4GB RAM, Kernel: 4.19, DE: Xfce

richb
Administrator

#26 Post by richb »

How did we get from the topic of the a busy Forum to a discussion of shortcuts? Way off topic.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

paul1149

#27 Post by paul1149 »

Just intuitively I've noticed a big uptick in volume here in recent days. I think the increasing popularity of the distro is at root, and also the new(? - to me, anyway) unread posts page does a lot to make all corners of the forum accessible and encourage traffic.
MX-19-KDE x64, on Ryzen 5, 16GB RAM, SSD. Nvidia graphics.

seaken64

#28 Post by seaken64 »

richb wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:29 am How did we get from the topic of the a busy Forum to a discussion of shortcuts? Way off topic.
Yeah, sorry about that. I contributed to that. But the topic had already went astray into a discussion about the virtue of the command line. Someone above opined that the rifraff tends to tell people to use the command line and that if there was no GUI they would not use a computer.

I guess I can understand that point of view, to a degree. But I don't think the forum is more active only because MX supports a nice GUI and MX Tools. That is part of it I'm sure. But personally, I've always enjoyed that Linux keeps the command line open and available. I like using graphical tools and the GUI, but sometimes it just is not as easy for me as using the command line and text-based tools. Especially when installing packages I like using the command line applications. Apt and Wget are great! But I use Package Manager and Synaptic also.

I have come here because I like that MX makes it easier for me to use Debian and works on some of my older machines quite nicely. I don't know about Manjaro at all. But I have a feeling that people come here for all sorts of reasons, not the least of which is the friendly environment. I may disagree with the idea that only a GUI should be used but I get it. To each their own, right?

Seaken64
MX21-64 XFCE & W11 on Lenovo 330S LT. MX21-KDE & MX21-XFCE on Live USB.
MX18-64 & W7, Fedora on HP Core2 DT
MX21-32 XFCE w/ MX-Fluxbox on P4HT DT w/ antiX21, SUSE Tumbleweed, Q4OS, WXP
antiX21 on Compaq PIII 1 Ghz DT, w/ Debian, MX18FB, W2K

richb
Administrator

#29 Post by richb »

Understandable. I have done the same and veered off topic. As long as we righted the ship. Another topic can e opened about the command line, shortcuts, etc.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Captain Brillo

#30 Post by Captain Brillo »

Busy forums are NOT a good thing.
Ubuntu, Mint, whatever, there are no quick answers to new questions.
Youse folks here (us'n's?) are still a small community giving every one decent attention. Once that's lost, so is the heart and soul.
GAFA-free zone

Return to “General”