Why is MX Linux so successful and popular?

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
zoli62

Re: Why is MX Linux so successful and popular?

#21 Post by zoli62 »

jeanpaulberes wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:32 am Well I'm using Linux from over a decade, 1st try even in the early ninetees with Mandrake (1995) ...
I used a lot of distros and Desktop Environments, for the DE's I can say KDE is beautiful but still not stable and a little bit chaotic for changes, Cinnamon - even latest version still freezes (tried it on LMDE 3) ... i dislike totally Gnome3 (and that time also Unity), so XFCE suits the most for me.
For distros I did try Redhat based distros (Fedora, OpenSuse), Arch Based (Antergos, Manjaro), Debian based (Debian itself until Dec. 2018, Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Linux Mint) ...
From December I switched toward MX-Linux (17 that time), now upgraded to 18 AND I can say that this distro suits me the most !
Good work guys !!! you can and have to be proud of it !
Best regards,
Jean Paul
It is the same with me except that I also use Linux Mint, Manjaro, Antergos.

KBD

#22 Post by KBD »

Perfect confluence of events.
MX has been awesome since the MX-17 release IMO. It was good before that, but at MX-18 it is truly awesome. It has gotten better with each release, is dead simple to install and use, and MX got Xfce desktop right.
But other things outside of MX has helped. While MX has gotten better Debian has grown long in the tooth waiting for the next Stable, and is nowhere near as easy to use and install as MX.
Ubuntu has continued its fall from the top with a buggy releases, kernel issues, and general regressions. This has badly hurt the latest Mint 19 release as well. Worse yet, Mint lead dev made clear their awesome LMDE release really doesn't matter to them and is just their playground and "Plan B" if Ubuntu bites the dust. They downplay their good release of LMDE and play up their buggy release Main Mint 19. Not a winning strategy.
Plus Shuttleworth seems more interested in releasing an IPO this year and perhaps selling Ubuntu. Psychologically this hurts both Ubuntu and Mint because it is proof Ubuntu cares more about money than the community, it also adds uncertainty. (Not bashing Ubuntu or Mint, this is just what has happened to drive down interest).
Now people are open to trying different distros and MX is growing its user base and a few others are benefiting as well like Manjaro. But those wanting a more stable distro are likely coming to MX.

Stevo
Developer

#23 Post by Stevo »

Mauser wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:13 pm
zoli62 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:06 pm
Mauser wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:55 pm MX Linux is so popular because it just works and is solid as a rock! MX Tools and Tweak makes live easy. The support you receive is top notch. The moderators do an excellent job of keeping the MX forum civil thanks to the forum rules set in place.
The simplicity of MX Linux seems to be its greatness.
Yes, that too. It's the whole package.
It seems that a spinoff named "KISS Linux" would be a natural, if you could keep the band from suing you.

Mauser

#24 Post by Mauser »

Stevo wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:42 pm
Mauser wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:13 pm
zoli62 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:06 pm

The simplicity of MX Linux seems to be its greatness.
Yes, that too. It's the whole package.
It seems that a spinoff named "KISS Linux" would be a natural, if you could keep the band from suing you.
Yeah, so true. Somehow Arch has avoided beening sued by KISS yet. :confused: How about starting a new thread on a word for MX Linux like what Arch did? I will start it. O.K.?
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

Captain Brillo

#25 Post by Captain Brillo »

GAFA-free zone

zoli62

#26 Post by zoli62 »

KBD wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:25 pm Perfect confluence of events.
MX has been awesome since the MX-17 release IMO. It was good before that, but at MX-18 it is truly awesome. It has gotten better with each release, is dead simple to install and use, and MX got Xfce desktop right.
But other things outside of MX has helped. While MX has gotten better Debian has grown long in the tooth waiting for the next Stable, and is nowhere near as easy to use and install as MX.
Ubuntu has continued its fall from the top with a buggy releases, kernel issues, and general regressions. This has badly hurt the latest Mint 19 release as well. Worse yet, Mint lead dev made clear their awesome LMDE release really doesn't matter to them and is just their playground and "Plan B" if Ubuntu bites the dust. They downplay their good release of LMDE and play up their buggy release Main Mint 19. Not a winning strategy.
Plus Shuttleworth seems more interested in releasing an IPO this year and perhaps selling Ubuntu. Psychologically this hurts both Ubuntu and Mint because it is proof Ubuntu cares more about money than the community, it also adds uncertainty. (Not bashing Ubuntu or Mint, this is just what has happened to drive down interest).
Now people are open to trying different distros and MX is growing its user base and a few others are benefiting as well like Manjaro. But those wanting a more stable distro are likely coming to MX.
Unfortunately, I have to give a lot of truth. LMDE was good as long as it was based on Debian SID because it had challenges for the pros. In my opinion, Linux Mint went in an overly popular direction and did not progress properly. For example, there is no rolling release model, it is far too conservative.

manyroads

#27 Post by manyroads »

zoli62 wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:23 pm In my opinion, Linux Mint went in an overly popular direction and did not progress properly. For example, there is no rolling release model, it is far too conservative.
As a guy who enjoyed & used manjaro for years, I have to say "rolling releases" are fine. But there are other ways to accomplish many of the same things and at much lower risk. MX provides an innovative, unique, and stable approach. "Methinks it's very good..." :happy: But then what do I know, I'm just an old geek... :eek:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

KBD

#28 Post by KBD »

I think rolling releases are good for Linux enthusiasts and those who don't mind fixing their systems. That has never been me.
Windows 10 has become something of a rolling release and nothing but bad press with just about every patch and update--and some computers can no longer update as they are sure to break.
A rapid update schedule can work. Chrome browser seems to have its stars aligned and is incredibly stable from release to release. But it does go through alpha and beta releases first and has lots of devs. The other side of that coin is Firefox which seems not to have enough devs and over time has proved useless to me because of issues with updates messing things up. And they have an ESR version because even they know some people don't want their browsers broken.

Mauser

#29 Post by Mauser »

KBD wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:41 pm I think rolling releases are good for Linux enthusiasts and those who don't mind fixing their systems. That has never been me.
Windows 10 has become something of a rolling release and nothing but bad press with just about every patch and update--and some computers can no longer update as they are sure to break.
A rapid update schedule can work. Chrome browser seems to have its stars aligned and is incredibly stable from release to release. But it does go through alpha and beta releases first and has lots of devs. The other side of that coin is Firefox which seems not to have enough devs and over time has proved useless to me because of issues with updates messing things up. And they have an ESR version because even they know some people don't want their browsers broken.
I have to use the ESR version of Firefox ever since the Mozilla developers broke the regular version by coming out with 60.4.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

KBD

#30 Post by KBD »

Mauser wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:48 pm
I have to use the ESR version of Firefox ever since the Mozilla developers broke the regular version by coming out with 60.4.
Yep. It was around 60 that I started having serious issues on Linux with Firefox.
Now on Windows Firefox was almost always flawless for me. What's wrong with this picture? It should be just the opposite, yet it felt like FF on Linux was the Windows' version's ugly cousin.

Return to “General”