Why is MX Linux so successful and popular?

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
Mauser

Re: Why is MX Linux so successful and popular?

#31 Post by Mauser »

KBD wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:27 pm
Mauser wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:48 pm
I have to use the ESR version of Firefox ever since the Mozilla developers broke the regular version by coming out with 60.4.
Yep. It was around 60 that I started having serious issues on Linux with Firefox.
Now on Windows Firefox was almost always flawless for me. What's wrong with this picture? It should be just the opposite, yet it felt like FF on Linux was the Windows' version's ugly cousin.
The dimension we are in has become dyslectic.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#32 Post by JayM »

Because it's quite fast in operation, it's easy and fast to install, it still supports older hardware even including 32-bit systems, it's mostly trouble-free, and its look and feel is enough like the classic Windows interface (starting with Win95, not Windows 3.x) that those coming from a Windows background will find it familiar. It isn't all that beautiful to look at but it works very well. It's like a plain-looking and simple but very reliable car that does everything you need it to do for transportation. I can't comment on the level of support because I haven't had to avail of it yet.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Artim

#33 Post by Artim »

Because it's stable and updates don't (well, rarely) break things! Because it still supports older hardware. Because it's systemd-free (if you wish). Awesomeness.

That said, the next step is,

Donate to this project! Let's keep it around for awhile and help the devs do their work producing this wonderful distro. Some of the great distros in the past are gone simply because people didn't pitch in with a little financial gift to maintain repositories and servers and keep things going. It's awesome because people care enough to help keep it that way!

asqwerth
Developer

#34 Post by asqwerth »

You could also offer to contribute, if you have skills and knowledge, in other areas, e.g.

- translation (check with Old Giza)
- packaging (check with Stevo)
- helping with tech support on the forum
- artwork (examples - can you create icons? Are you skilled in creating or modifying gtk themes? creating wallpapers?)
- writing manual, wiki and tutorial entries (check with Jerry3904)
- development (check with Dolphin_Oracle)
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Return to “General”